Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Weasyl
    wwretched
    I filled it out! Haha I hope you don't mind but I'm totally taking your idea for myself. It's a good way to get general critiques!
    dont even test me i swear to god im going to eat everything in this fucking state

Weasyl
    EvilSonic
    Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    If it's what you like doing I believe we hit a dead end. The problem is you asked if you were ready for commissions. I think you should just draw what you want and enjoy doing it. There isn't really anything wrong drawing for fun. However while those problems are apparent and you don't want to learn or improve then I think you've hit a dead end in doing commissions.
    I'm willing to improve, I just don't have the line discussion something really important cause it doesn't look terrible... I'm probably doing it wrong, but I would like to try to get my art to look simple but detailed in the right places (kinda like the art style in FLCL and Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei, etc...). Had an idea that referencing from 3D could help me since I do have Bender, I'll probably have to look for a reference model myself.

Quote Originally Posted by wwretched View Post
    I filled it out! Haha I hope you don't mind but I'm totally taking your idea for myself. It's a good way to get general critiques!
    Nope, copyright to me.. You take, I call the cops. Just kidding.

I really like that shading thing you did on Broken Gears but that's not lava, it's just a river that looks like blood... I have been working on (or at least trying) to do more expressive faces but the real problem with that is it shows up in my sketches more than finished art 'cause I usually color in the ideas that happen to not have exaggerated expressions.

I'll try to come up with some good ideas related to that to be colored, sometime... I love PurpleKelceon's work, I'd be tempted to emulate their style if I didn't have one of my own (besides, a lot of people are doing that anyways. lol).

I know how crosshatching looks.. But you linked to your example wrong cause I'm getting an error trying to go to that page and I'd like to see that example. lol
    The sketchy lines thing I do is from the official Sonic Riders art kinda, I liked how that looked so I did something similar to that in my own art.

Weasyl
    wwretched
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilSonic View Post
    Nope, copyright to me.. You take, I call the cops. Just kidding.

I really like that shading thing you did on Broken Gears but that's not lava, it's just a river that looks like blood... I have been working on (or at least trying) to do more expressive faces but the real problem with that is it shows up in my sketches more than finished art 'cause I usually color in the ideas that happen to not have exaggerated expressions.

I'll try to come up with some good ideas related to that to be colored, sometime... I love PurpleKelceon's work, I'd be tempted to emulate their style if I didn't have one of my own (besides, a lot of people are doing that anyways. lol).

I know how crosshatching looks.. But you linked to your example wrong cause I'm getting an error trying to go to that page and I'd like to see that example. lol
    The sketchy lines thing I do is from the official Sonic Riders art kinda, I liked how that looked so I did something similar to that in my own art.

Haha too late, already did it. :B

Ah, my bad then! It was kind of hard to tell. Perhaps some waves or ripples would have made the water texture more apparent.

And sorry about that as well! This link should work. It's a sort of more dynamic form of crosshatching that follows the form. It could add a lot of dynamics to your style!

But overall, just keep sketching and stretching! Good work so far!
    dont even test me i swear to god im going to eat everything in this fucking state

I'm willing to improve, I just don't have the line discussion something really important cause it doesn't look terrible... I'm probably doing it wrong, but I would like to try to get my art to look simple but detailed in the right places (kinda like the art style in FLCL and Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei, etc...). Had an idea that referencing from 3D could help me since I do have Bender, I'll probably have to look for a reference model myself.
    The point isn't that it doesn't look terrible, it's that your lines could look better.

If you want it to look like FLCL or...that other one, you're going to need to work on your lines a lot, because they aren't there yet.

Weasyl
    EvilSonic
    Last edited by EvilSonic; 01-28-2014 at 09:24 PM.

Weasyl
    EvilSonic
    Thanks for that visual! I had a feeling I messed up on the shading of the dress... lol

The ghost's body doesn't have "proper" shading to the light source cause I used to do that but I feel how I did the shading looks better on ghosts/shadowy limbs, since they aren't solid (well the skull is solid, but I am talking about the body). I can see what you mean about the hair thing, but that looks kinda weird for me to do it, and that's really just his fur, not separate fur.

Thanks for that visual! I had a feeling I messed up on the shading of the dress... lol

The ghost's body doesn't have "proper" shading to the light source cause I used to do that but I feel how I did the shading looks better on ghosts/shadowy limbs, since they aren't solid (well the skull is solid, but I am talking about the body). I can see what you mean about the hair thing, but that looks kinda weird for me to do it, and that's really just his fur, not separate fur.
    If the body isn't solid, some of the background should shine through and it should still be shaded according to the light-source.
    As for the hair being part of the fur or not, the advice still stands: pick a point from where the hair starts and draw the clumps in from there. It'll look a lot more natural than just blocking in a shape according to what you think it should look like, because currently the hair looks very, very flat. Almost like a sheet, if that makes sense?

EDIT:
    I am wondering, though: do you plan to at least take some advice in this thread into consideration?
    Because people are spending time doing redlines and paint-overs to help you, but if you'd rather stick to what you already know, that time could be spent helping other people. D:
    Last edited by Hardrockangel; 01-29-2014 at 08:03 PM.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    That is why I consider the thread to be a dead end. I actually took time to explain and demonstrate in a forum for critiques to be essentially ignored.

Weasyl
    EvilSonic
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrockangel View Post
    If the body isn't solid, some of the background should shine through and it should still be shaded according to the light-source.
    As for the hair being part of the fur or not, the advice still stands: pick a point from where the hair starts and draw the clumps in from there. It'll look a lot more natural than just blocking in a shape according to what you think it should look like, because currently the hair looks very, very flat. Almost like a sheet, if that makes sense?

EDIT:
    I am wondering, though: do you plan to at least take some advice in this thread into consideration?
    Because people are spending time doing redlines and paint-overs to help you, but if you'd rather stick to what you already know, that time could be spent helping other people. D:
    I have been taking some advice into consideration, sorry if I'm being terrible at wording stuff. :S