Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    EvilSonic

A critique-type form?

(Not sure what exactly to call it..)

Hello! Sorry if this isn't in the right area I couldn't decide if this goes in Art General or Critique if it's allowed to be posted at all. This is not necessarily a critique on a certain piece of artwork, but rather a form I made to critique my art in general... Lately, I've been thinking about starting commissions but I feel like my art is not at the point where it's appropriate to sell. I've posted this form already to the sites I post to, but I haven't gotten much fill-outs....

So I thought it would be a good idea to post it somewhere where people besides watchers/followers could see. Please take your time to fill out the form if you wish. I'd really like some varied opinions so I know what to work on.

The form is here!
    Last edited by EvilSonic; 01-25-2014 at 03:55 AM.

I've sent in a form for you. If you need more details concerning any of my responses, I'd be more than happy to elaborate. c:

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I will fill out your form as soon as I get a chance, but I will agree that you should hold off on doing commissions for now.

One quick glance at your gallery I noticed your characters are facing the same direction, and this is often attributed to hand dominance.

Weasyl
    EvilSonic
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrockangel View Post
    I've sent in a form for you. If you need more details concerning any of my responses, I'd be more than happy to elaborate. c:
    Thanks for filling out the form! I do have one thing to mention though, which is the sketchy lines thing... I don't not really think it looks unfinished to me, I like how it looks so I kinda don't wanna stop doing that (until it's worn out. lol).
    For elaboration... Maybe you could link some stuff or something to what I need to improve on? (Also what do you mean by my cartoon style being generic?)

Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    I will fill out your form as soon as I get a chance, but I will agree that you should hold off on doing commissions for now.

One quick glance at your gallery I noticed your characters are facing the same direction, and this is often attributed to hand dominance.
    I'm in no rush to get into commissions really, my dad's the one who really wants me to rush into that. lol

I'll try to keep that "facing the same way"-thing in mind next time I do something colored.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilSonic View Post
    Thanks for filling out the form! I do have one thing to mention though, which is the sketchy lines thing... I don't not really think it looks unfinished to me, I like how it looks so I kinda don't wanna stop doing that (until it's worn out. lol).
    For elaboration... Maybe you could link some stuff or something to what I need to improve on? (Also what do you mean by my cartoon style being generic?)
    The sketchy lines do look unfinished, though, since they give off the impression of chickenscratch, instead of looking like neat and fluid line-art. It looks ... like a coloured sketch, rather than like a fully-rendered piece.

As for the things that need improving on:
    - Anatomy - This one does mostly deal with proportions, for in-depth anatomy, I would recommend picking up "Anatomy For The Artist".
    - Poses
    - Light-source

What I meant by the cartoon-style looking generic is that it looks like you're repeating stylized symbols as you've seen them in other cartoons, instead of having the background in anatomy to exaggerate things yourself and knowing how to exaggerate them without them looking off. I think this tutorial may help explain what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrockangel View Post
    The sketchy lines do look unfinished, though, since they give off the impression of chickenscratch, instead of looking like neat and fluid line-art. It looks ... like a coloured sketch, rather than like a fully-rendered piece.

As for the things that need improving on:
    - Anatomy - This one does mostly deal with proportions, for in-depth anatomy, I would recommend picking up "Anatomy For The Artist".
    - Poses
    - Light-source

What I meant by the cartoon-style looking generic is that it looks like you're repeating stylized symbols as you've seen them in other cartoons, instead of having the background in anatomy to exaggerate things yourself and knowing how to exaggerate them without them looking off. I think this tutorial may help explain what I mean.
    That thing about the different styles and symbols of what people think things look like and the lighting tutorial is great!

As for your work, I also think you should look into anatomy and line work as an overall thing.

Sorry I didn't fill out your form but I don't feel like sifting through your galleries atm.

Weasyl
    EvilSonic
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammacha View Post
    That thing about the different styles and symbols of what people think things look like and the lighting tutorial is great!

As for your work, I also think you should look into anatomy and line work as an overall thing.

Sorry I didn't fill out your form but I don't feel like sifting through your galleries atm.
    With line work you mean...? If you mean how wobbily they look sometimes that's not really a problem with not knowing how to do straight lines (maybe?...) but because my hands are a little unsteady when I draw (but I guess I could try to redraw lines).

That's alright, if you wanna do that you can do it at a time convenient to you.

Weasyl
    TealMoon
    I don't have time to fill out the form now but a quick look through your Weasyl gallery I got this: the majority of the characters are facing the same direction.

Your lines need work, they look really..."crumbly"

Weasyl
    EvilSonic
    Quote Originally Posted by TealMoon View Post
    I don't have time to fill out the form now but a quick look through your Weasyl gallery I got this: the majority of the characters are facing the same direction.

Your lines need work, they look really..."crumbly"
    I think I know what you're referring to about that... That's just how I have the brush settings on and I kinda like that effect. How my brush looks is kinda the main reason why I'm not completely disregarding my lines and going with a style similar to that painty-like lineless art that looks cool.

Weasyl
    TealMoon
    While it may be a stylistic choice to you, to others is looks messy and unfinished.
    Like a sketch that was colored in.

What program do you use?