Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Charrio

Comic Panels and Fitting in them

Take a gander at my Gallery here, hope you like and brings a smile.
    https://www.weasyl.com/~charrio

Weasyl
    FlynnCoyote
    What do you use to draw?

I usually have two tabs open on Sai, once for sketching panels and one for the finished page. When I have one panel done I copy paste it across and scale it to suit the page in the panel space I allowed for it.. Once that's done I ink the complete page and colour.
    We'll find a reason, or else realize that we don't need one.

Weasyl
    Charrio
    Quote Originally Posted by FlynnCoyote View Post
    What do you use to draw?

I usually have two tabs open on Sai, once for sketching panels and one for the finished page. When I have one panel done I copy paste it across and scale it to suit the page in the panel space I allowed for it.. Once that's done I ink the complete page and colour.
    I use SAI Painter, I thought about the drawing on a different file and cut and pasting them but for me at least never works well.
    I tend to detail the image too much and when shrunk down looks way too cluttered.

Weasyl
    Chuchi
    What do you use to draw?

Ugh, I never thought to do that, and my pages always look like shite. Going to have to use this from now on.... /coughcough I feel so dumb now. xnx
    ╭━━━━━━━━━━━━━━╮
    Something interesting about myself.
    ╰━━━━━━━━━━━━━━╯

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    What do you use to draw?

Do you ever end up with line weights that look inconsistent from panel to panel doing things this way?
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    Charrio
    Quote Originally Posted by piņardilla View Post
    Do you ever end up with line weights that look inconsistent from panel to panel doing things this way?
    I got that problem when I did try it.
    I use a rather thin line style and shrunk down doesn't work out too well for me

Use a larger canvas, it will solve all your problems with the details getting cluttered.

The easiest way to do that is to take the size you are currently using and blow it up to at least 300 DPI. If it is intended to ever be printed, you should do it in 300DPI anyway, if it's intended to be viewed on a screen, shrink down the final image to 72 dpi. (I would recommend keeping the original 300 DPI as well). I use kablams comic template, which is 2100X3150 at 300 DPI (I'm considering going larger however, as things are still too cluttered for me at this size)

The same applies to real media, if you draw several times bigger than the final product you'll be able to fit the details in better.

I also do what Flynn does with the sketches when trying to do stuff digital, since inking on top of the sketches is done after they are resized to fit, it doesn't effect the line weight any. (any issues with line weight in my work is purely cause I just don't have very good lines being more of a scribbler/sketcher).

Weasyl
    Charrio
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenith View Post
    Use a larger canvas, it will solve all your problems with the details getting cluttered.

The easiest way to do that is to take the size you are currently using and blow it up to at least 300 DPI. If it is intended to ever be printed, you should do it in 300DPI anyway, if it's intended to be viewed on a screen, shrink down the final image to 72 dpi. (I would recommend keeping the original 300 DPI as well). I use kablams comic template, which is 2100X3150 at 300 DPI (I'm considering going larger however, as things are still too cluttered for me at this size)

The same applies to real media, if you draw several times bigger than the final product you'll be able to fit the details in better.

I also do what Flynn does with the sketches when trying to do stuff digital, since inking on top of the sketches is done after they are resized to fit, it doesn't effect the line weight any. (any issues with line weight in my work is purely cause I just don't have very good lines being more of a scribbler/sketcher).
    Thank you, I will have to try that
    Also I work pretty big, 3x what the image is there

Weasyl
    FlynnCoyote
    I only sketch first to get the rough idea of the image I want. Resizing tends to distort the detail, so I don't ink until all of the sketches are in position. Then I ink the whole page.

It's a matter of doing it in the right order is all.
    We'll find a reason, or else realize that we don't need one.

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    There's a reason why a comic CAN and often will take at least 3 redraws before it is complete.

Rough
    Names
    Manu
    Actual thing.

The bubble and thing are usually fit in the Names -> Manu part so you can readjust and move certain part to the next page instead.