Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Weasyl
    Charrio
    Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    I think, looking at these panel you need some set up scenes. I guess it would be establishing narrative?

I will try to explain this as best as possible. Each panel is a bunch of heads and people talking waist up.

First panel is heads talking: "Let's go to a movie"
    Net panel is heads sitting in seats People sitting in theater.

There is no establishing shot how these girls are getting together to go to a movie. It's a good time to show a shot of them at the theater with buildings, what kind of movie they are seeing, and what kind of personality quirks would show up as they gather to see the movie. Is one of them the popcorn mooch? The friend that keeps nibbling at the snacks you bought for yourself?

Next is again heads talking - Let's go eat.
    Last Panel is a lot of heads and waist up - with the back of another person's head (which if I remember is a nono in comics unless you're setting up something significant).

These two shots should be establishing if they hated or liked the movie, do they talk about it?

What kind of diner do these girls want to go to? What kind of establishment did they show up at? A Fancy diner? A Greasy spoon? A themed restaurant?

I feel its missing narrative that helps establish what kind of personality these characters are. I just feel it's jumping scene to scene with close up shots. Nothing is pulling back and letting us experience their world.

I hope I am explaining things well enough.
    Thank you, I am really terrible with narrative, my previous attempts were all wing its, I tend to work backwards at times. But trying to curb that.
    Definitely taking notes on your suggestion, I need to stop rushing things in the story.
    Take a gander at my Gallery here, hope you like and brings a smile.
    https://www.weasyl.com/~charrio

Blambot also has a handy article on it somewhere about some basic rules/conventions for text in comics, I would recommend reading it. It also gives a few tips on balloon shape/construction ect.

Also here's something else to give you ideas of different types of shots for your comic, yes it's cinematography focused, but a lot of the visual conventions established to keep panel to panel changes and such make sense and things work just as well for comics. (page 1) (page 2)

I don't have much else to personally add that most everyone else has already said, but I hope the resources help you along the way.

Weasyl
    Charrio
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenith View Post
    Blambot also has a handy article on it somewhere about some basic rules/conventions for text in comics, I would recommend reading it. It also gives a few tips on balloon shape/construction ect.

Also here's something else to give you ideas of different types of shots for your comic, yes it's cinematography focused, but a lot of the visual conventions established to keep panel to panel changes and such make sense and things work just as well for comics. (page 1) (page 2)

I don't have much else to personally add that most everyone else has already said, but I hope the resources help you along the way.
    Once again you people rock!
    Thank you, I am so making notes from both links thank you

Weasyl
    marzipan
    If you want some great books on making comics, rent Understanding Comics and Making Comics by Scott McCloud from the library. Fantastic stuff that will totally change how your brain looks at comics! Set up and pacing and panelling... can't recommend them enough! :] I don't want to repeat any of the great advice people have left here but I just wanted to chime in about these resources if no one else had yet, haha

Quote Originally Posted by FlynnCoyote View Post
    What do you use to draw?

I usually have two tabs open on Sai, once for sketching panels and one for the finished page. When I have one panel done I copy paste it across and scale it to suit the page in the panel space I allowed for it.. Once that's done I ink the complete page and colour.
    I have a similar process, but instead of drawing the sketches in a different program I sketch each panel by hand, on separate pages. Then I'll scan the sketches in and copy/paste/resize them into how I want the page formatted. That way, I don't risk losing detail when I'm inking and coloring digitally.

Weasyl
    Charrio
    Quote Originally Posted by EllenNatalie View Post
    I have a similar process, but instead of drawing the sketches in a different program I sketch each panel by hand, on separate pages. Then I'll scan the sketches in and copy/paste/resize them into how I want the page formatted. That way, I don't risk losing detail when I'm inking and coloring digitally.
    Been following you, your stuff is gorgeous, I hope to get as well with comics some day, right now my strengths are PinUp and adult stuff.
    Stayed in that lane way too long, need to branch out.

Weasyl
    Charrio