Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Wacom Tablets

Weasyl
    Greg Striata
    I got my fiancée a Bamboo Pen and Touch in '11 and last year I got her an Intuos Pen and Touch. Going to upgrade her to a Cintiq at some point, because those things are awesome.

I have one of the old Bamboo tablets, I remember choosing it since it had almost exactly the same aspect ratio as my laptop's screen and also didn't cost a billion dollars.

I'm now considering getting a screen and making a kind of FrankenTiq with it... the iPad Retina screen uses a standard protocol and fits just about perfectly...

Weasyl
    autogatos
    I've used a number of Wacoms over the years at work and at home (mostly Intuos) and finally upgraded to a Cintiq 24HD which is seriously the best art-related purchase I have ever made. It feels so much more natural to draw on and makes inking digitally a lot easier since I'm no longer struggling with the hand-eye coordination issues that come with screenless tablets.

I also have a Surface Pro which uses Wacom tech, It's not as easy to use as the Cintiq but makes a nice digital sketchbook if I need to work on small things away from home.

I've got an Intuos 4 Medium atm, but I'm about to buy a 13HD Cintiq! I'm sooooooo excited man, I've had my eye on cintiq for at least 6 years now and I finally have the money to put toward one.
    Weasyl | DeviantART | Tumblr
    Always open for commission!

Weasyl
    willy
    I used to have a Bamboo Pen and Touch. Had it for about 3 years and was devastated when it stopped working properly. Partly because it was a birthday present and also because it meant I'd have to buy another one of course.

Right now I have a Huion H58L and it's a really nice substitute for the Wacom tablets.

Though some day I'd like to get one of the Intuos tablets or even a Cintiq because I hear those ones are pretty nice too.

Weasyl
    Shad-Wolf
    People are always saying Cintiques are awesome, while there are others who say its not, and doesn't exactly help you improve how you draw.

I kinda have to agree with some of these people from whenever I've drawn on paper or drawing on my 3DS, it doesn't make someone draw any better than they already can. x3
    Although how nice it may be to have one, I'd only seeing it being great if you are coloring or something, than the actual drawing process. -- but you everyone's opinions on them are different ^^

Weasyl
    autogatos
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadWolf View Post
    People are always saying Cintiques are awesome, while there are others who say its not, and doesn't exactly help you improve how you draw.

I kinda have to agree with some of these people from whenever I've drawn on paper or drawing on my 3DS, it doesn't make someone draw any better than they already can. x3
    Although how nice it may be to have one, I'd only seeing it being great if you are coloring or something, than the actual drawing process. -- but you everyone's opinions on them are different ^^
    Well, no of course it's not going to make you magically draw better. The tools never make the artist. The reason I love mine is because I work primarily digitally, and I find drawing on an screenless tablet (like an Intuos) to be more difficult than drawing on paper because there's a bit of a disconnect there. With paper and pencil, you're literally positioning your drawing tools/hand where you want to draw, whereas with an Intuos, that's being simulated. Cintiqs and other tablets with screens just make the drawing process feel more like natural real-media drawing.

Stuff like coloring I find isn't actually an issue for me at all with an Intuos. It's sketching and inking digitally where I find the Cintiq to really help. With my Intuos, I'd find myself having to re-do the same ink line over and over again because the angle of my stroke was slightly off, but with the Cintiq I can literally see where my hand is going so it's much easier, more like inking on paper.

Weasyl
    Vae
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadWolf View Post

It's a pretty obvious given that it won't improve how you normally draw on a piece of paper or such. Tablets don't have needles that spawn and inject your brain with "Art Enchancer CX3". You can only draw within your limits at any given time.

But the tools you're using can make a hell of a difference as to what you can do within your limits.

I used to use the computer mouse to draw before I got a tablet, and the sweeping, dragging motion of using a mouse led me to drawing more elongated, inconsistent, less-detailed work. My coloring was... okay, most of the time, but my anatomy and lineart were hit the hardest. I had issues with this in my traditional media as well (which was just my style at the time), but not nearly to the degree that it came out in digitally-drawn pieces.

Getting a tablet helped that immensely. Suddenly, I was drawing sturdier bodies, better linearts, more details.

There is a large amount of difference in control between a tiny little stylus nib that relies on your fingers and wrist movements (which are hard-coded to be very articulate through our evolution as humans), and making large, flat dragging movements with something about the size of a digital camera.

Tablets won't teach you things you don't already know, but they can open up that path to improvement in a much more natural-feeling way, and facilitate artistic growth far easier.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    Sonata
    the tablet I use is a wacom bamboo. works just fine on desktop. but not on my mac. oh joy.

Weasyl
    Ratte
    I have both a Wacom Intuos4 XL and a Wacom Bamboo Fun Pen and Touch Medium. Man, what a mouthful.

I used to use my Intuos a lot, but since I move twice a year hulking that massive piece of plastic was just too cumbersome, so I got the Bamboo Fun as a gift since it was cheap at the time (factory refurbished older model from 2011). I like it a lot but the cord is /really/ damaged by the body so I have a cast of scotch tape over it. ]: