Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Job Hunting?

Weasyl
    LoboSabio
    I've been looking for a job since my internship ended in August. I have a sneaking suspicion that I am neither well qualified enough to pick up a job in my field or in the general sector. Rather makes me worry. Also doesn't help when the job you're applying for gets 175 applicants. Don't really think I can stand out amongst that forest.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

This might not exactly be on topic, but I'd like to shine some light on an option that may help some people who live in the USA. This is more geared towards people without many marketable skills or experience.

I am currently enrolled in JobCorps, which is a government run facility which purpose is to provide underprivileged youth (ages 16-24) with FREE education, job skills training, social skills, resume building, and interview preparation workshops, among other things. There are centers all over the country, and they provide free transportation to the center for accepted applicants, meals, and a dorm to live in (unless you live close enough to a center in which case you can opt to drive there every weekday to avoid living on center). They train people in various trades such as carpentry, welding, painting, plastering, security, nurses aid, computer services, business & finance, and accounting, just to name a few. Each center offers different trades in which students can enroll in. In each trade you will gain work experience and get various opportunities to build your contacts, references, history, and education.

JobCorps does have several downsides to it though; living on center can be quite stressful, as you are dealing with a wide variety of people from different age groups and backgrounds 24/7. The rules can be very strict, perhaps too much so for those not used to a structured environment. The drop out rate is quite high, however if you see it through, it can be a great boost in your future.

I don't mean to sound preachy, or like a JobCorps advocate, it's just that a fellow furry friend of mine told me about JobCorps while I was in a very bad spot. Like many of you, I had no job leads. Coming here has been a blessing in disguise, it is very challenging as it will test you over and over again, but because of that I have a level of confidence that I have never had before. I have gained far more experience and education than I would have expected from coming here. Which in turn, will help lead to finding a job, maybe even a career.

I just wanted to pass on the tip as I don't think the JobCorps program is very widely known, and even if this only has the chance of helping one person slightly I believe it would be worth it. If anyone has any questions about JobCorps from a current JC student I'd be happy to help as much as I can.

Hopes this doesn't break any forum violations...
    Last edited by Kite; 11-03-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Weasyl
    AtomiKamikaze
    Quote Originally Posted by Kite View Post
    This might not exactly be on topic, but I'd like to shine some light on an option that may help some people who live in the USA. This is more geared towards people without many marketable skills or experience.

I am currently enrolled in JobCorps, which is a government run facility which purpose is to provide underprivileged youth (ages 16-24) with FREE education, job skills training, social skills, resume building, and interview preparation workshops, among other things. There are centers all over the country, and they provide free transportation to the center for accepted applicants, meals, and a dorm to live in (unless you live close enough to a center in which case you can opt to drive there every weekday to avoid living on center). They train people in various trades such as carpentry, welding, painting, plastering, security, nurses aid, computer services, business & finance, and accounting, just to name a few. Each center offers different trades in which students can enroll in. In each trade you will gain work experience and get various opportunities to build your contacts, references, history, and education.

JobCorps does have several downsides to it though; living on center can be quite stressful, as you are dealing with a wide variety of people from different age groups and backgrounds 24/7. The rules can be very strict, perhaps too much so for those not used to a structured environment. The drop out rate is quite high, however if you see it through, it can be a great boost in your future.

I don't mean to sound preachy, or like a JobCorps advocate, it's just that a fellow furry friend of mine told me about JobCorps while I was in a very bad spot. Like many of you, I had no job leads. Coming here has been a blessing in disguise, it is very challenging as it will test you over and over again, but because of that I have a level of confidence that I have never had before. I have gained far more experience and education than I would have expected from coming here. Which in turn, will help lead to finding a job, maybe even a career.

I just wanted to pass on the tip as I don't think the JobCorps program is very widely known, and even if this only has the chance of helping one person slightly I believe it would be worth it. If anyone has any questions about JobCorps from a current JC student I'd be happy to help as much as I can.

Hopes this doesn't break any forum violations...
    Man, thank you SO much. One of my besties is insanely suicidal and keeps saying "I can't find a job D: ", (and she gives up kind of quick so not much charisma there) so this is a great hope to her!

No problem! Let me know if either of you have any questions or anything, I'd be happy to help. Knowledge is power or something like that.

Weasyl
    Kodyack
    I've been looking for a job for a couple years now. Had an interview last week though so I hope that went well. Though I'm getting rather annoyed at the increase of psyc tests that they keep throwing in applications. Dear person who created the question "Its Maddening When The Courts Let Guilty Criminals Go Free" Go die in a hole.

Weasyl
    IntricateVision
    I used to be leader in a program that helped high school kids get into college and get jobs. I got people more work than I've ever been able to get myself XD I've been kinda not doing anything but commissions while I go to school though.
    My bf is looking for work though and I literally help fill those out because JEEZ 40 minuets sometimes for ONE online application.
    I miss the good old days of pen and paper and I could hand it to a manager and introduce myself x'c

Weasyl
    Kodyack
    Those were good times.

I'm currently looking for jobs, but I'm hoping to go into college soon, hopefully media studies or carpentry.

Weasyl
    Aakosir
    Quote Originally Posted by Wuvvums View Post
    I was curious how other people are doing with job hunting if they're looking for a job. I heard job hunting is a job in and of itself, and I could see why. I decided to step it up and today I applied for 26 jobs and it took about 6-7 hours to do. I'm really hoping it pays off.

I also don't like online/computerized job applications if only because of how tedious the questionnaires are. There was one of them that was 12 pages long, and had about 10-15 questions per page, and a lot of them were very redundant or asked something that was just about the same.

So how's job hunting going on your guy's part?
    This sounds almost exactly how my past two month have been. I have applied to countless jobs, about 30, and have wasted about 6 or so hours on those stupid "assessments". My mom and cousin have been turned down for jobs because they are "too qualified". Wouldn't you want someone like that? That would be very good for your business, to actually have someone who is intelligent and knows what they are talking about... Instead of some teen who stands there texting the entire time they are supposed to be working. As for me... I'm pretty sure the main reason I am being turned down is because I'm asking for too much. I was making 9.25 at my last job and am asking to start around 9...

Guess I should lower my value so I have a better chance of getting hired...

Ibuuyk, I hear it is very hard to move to Canada. Is this true? I really want out of the U.S.... It's going to hell very fast.

Weasyl
    Sparky15756
    I've been looking for a job since the end of summer, but no luck. x.x