Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Job Hunting?

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #11
    Weasyl
    Ben
    Whenever I see people who live around here begging for a job, I always refer them to where I work as a canvasser. Out of the four people I've told to apply, only one actually did, and after she got recommended, she had to pick up extra classes and decline the offer. Hopefully at some point, I can get more people to work where I do, because we really do need more staff. The jobs are out there, it just depends on what you're willing to do (i.e. knocking on people's doors for four hours), and if you're any good at it.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #12

Weasyl
    Judicant
    If you just need a job with no particular constraints to pay or hours, I always tell people to look at grocery store because the jobs are such high turn-around that they're literally always hiring people.

Job I have now I got simply because I know the daughter of the owner. Networking hooray~

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Whenever I see people who live around here begging for a job, I always refer them to where I work as a canvasser. Out of the four people I've told to apply, only one actually did, and after she got recommended, she had to pick up extra classes and decline the offer. Hopefully at some point, I can get more people to work where I do, because we really do need more staff. The jobs are out there, it just depends on what you're willing to do (i.e. knocking on people's doors for four hours), and if you're any good at it.
    I think it depends on the area and who else is applying though. I mean, I've applied to jobs where I would be cleaning unheated bathrooms in a ski lodge in the middle of the winter and even they wouldn't get back to me on that position. The only jobs I'm not going for are the very obvious employment scams I've been getting since I signed up for monster.com.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I've been job hunting for six months.

I must suck at hunting.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    Tiger
    Jobs are very difficult to get, and Michigan has some of the highest unemployment rates in the country. I was bummed when I had to leave my last job for medical reasons (I worked in a fitting room at a department store).

I did a lot of online apps, and although they were longer and annoying I felt like I'd have a better chance at a response with the online app.

Weasyl
    Ratte
    Minot is damn near CRAWLING with jobs. Ever since the oil boom people have been leaving their mundane jobs to work the oil fields and whatnot. You can't spit without hitting a 'now hiring' sign there. Also, to be competitive, the wages are pretty decent since a lot of people keep leaving to get more for oil instead.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratte View Post
    Minot is damn near CRAWLING with jobs. Ever since the oil boom people have been leaving their mundane jobs to work the oil fields and whatnot. You can't spit without hitting a 'now hiring' sign there. Also, to be competitive, the wages are pretty decent since a lot of people keep leaving to get more for oil instead.
    Sounds like here. Three gold mines opened up this year alone and every single kind of worker in mines are goddamn millionaires, so...

Jobs. Jobs errywhar. The bosses hunt you and try to snatch you from your current job with gifts, high wages, bribes and advantages and stuff.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I spent about a year looking for a job. Admittedly I was also a bit specific as in I was looking for a job in a specific field, not just any job. Mostly because I wanted to get into science and there isn't much benefit to your job prospects from being a waiter. You need to have experience in the field or higher qualifications. I got an interview for a decent job but they weren't too serious about hiring me because I wasn't as qualified as they wanted so it wasn't a surprise that I didn't get that. I eventually got a 3 month internship but it wasn't that great so when it ended instead of extending the contract I just went to do my MSc.
    "If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
    ~John Stuart Mill~

Furry News: http://www.flayrah.com/

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #19

Weasyl
    Fayv
    I've never had too much trouble finding work. As a general rule I try to have at least two forms of taxable income, but it's all about who you know and where to look. I've been working at world market because they are always hiring. literally. groceries stores have the biggest turn around i've ever seen.
    In the meantime i'm also a transcriber. Researchers don't want to take the time to do it so you can get paid 20-30 an hour if you know the right people.
    I've been on a coyote research team where I had to organize who got the equipment and when they go out. The other half was just driving to the middle of nowhere and listening for coyotes while I played my DS.

If you are willing to put in the hours and do the work then it isn't too hard to find something. you may lose all your freetime but eh.

Weasyl
    AtomiKamikaze
    Still trying to land that job as a part-time security guard, but eh, I'm being too specific. Great job though, with the occassional adrenaline rush and more hours of not doing too much. :p

I do have a pseudo-job that brings some money in. Work the polls, it's 100$ for training and about 275-300$ each election you work. Good news is, working Election Day so I get bonus, bad news is it's Presidential Election and the place will be mob-rushed for 16 hours straight, and there's always that one tard that doesn't know how to work the scanners.

In the meantime, it's a great job to rack in an occassional hundred every month or so, so if you live in the states check the Board of Elections, the testing and training are so easy even a caveman can do it.