Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Job Hunting?

hunting for over a year, and nothing. small waitressing jobs, but the tips are lousy...and not worth the gas to get to work

- - - Updated - - -

hunting for over a year, and nothing. small waitressing jobs, but the tips are lousy...and not worth the gas to get to work

I got another interview on Thursday and got relatively quite a few since I started. I also went to a job fair and someone there told me to get back to them when I have 150 credit hours because then I'll qualify to become a CPA :O

(I am at 130 credit hours)

Weasyl
    Kitten
    Job hunting has been awful for me! About a year and a half ago I found my "dream job"( licensed body piercer) At first it was awesome. I made $100-500 a DAY and only worked 3 days a week. I bought a van, gps, had the money for gas, food, rent, fancy iPhone etc. But I realized after a while that the work environment was extremely negative and I don't approve of sexual harassment. I left despite the money. I was miserable.
    I found a cleaning job which quickly ended when I was fired upon questioning my wages. I was being paid under minimum wage and I caught on fast. I took legal matter on this one.
    So I took the first job that came my way. An overnight shift twice a week. It barely provides money and it's gross waking up for my 3am shifts. Ugh.
    I'm still looking though. I've also been making a few bucks here and there on commissions.
    I'm a bit distraught about my "dream job" being so bad. But I'm not giving up. I'd go insane being jobless.

For anyone actively looking for a job, I've found that snagajob is a wonderful resource. I got so many more call-backs from employers when I applied through that than when I was actually going through corporate websites. :D

5.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #35
    Weasyl
    Takun
    I finally got my first job out of college and the best part is that the one I ended up getting I didn't even apply for. I put my resume on a bunch of sites, used LinkedIn, and all of that. Got a call up saying they liked my resume, applied, and beat out a bunch of people for the position.

Weasyl
    serbus
    I hate online only applications. It completely depersonalises the hiring process. I miss the days of paper resumes when you could actually make an impression on an owner.
    Currently hiring for:
    Not currently hiring

I also sell art, feel free to contact me for a quote!

Quote Originally Posted by serbus View Post
    I hate online only applications. It completely depersonalises the hiring process. I miss the days of paper resumes when you could actually make an impression on an owner.
    I hear you. It's a lot harder to distinguish and give an impression of yourself within a sea of web applications. Very few places in my area even offer paper apps anymore, let alone actually pay attention to them.
    Last edited by Chip; 10-29-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Weasyl
    serbus
    I think its bad from a hiring perspective as well. You can learn so much about a person when you get to actually talk about them. Sure they might have great qualifications, but that doesn't mean that they will work well on your team. Employers are so disconnected these days.
    Currently hiring for:
    Not currently hiring

I also sell art, feel free to contact me for a quote!

Weasyl
    stephen
    I'm job-hunting for a temporary Christmas job Something that's flexible enough not to interfere with university.

Weasyl
    AtomiKamikaze
    Because the hurricane totally destroyed my family's nest-eggs and some cousins homes on the Jersey shore, I have to find a job asap to help them out. Finally getting off my lazy ass and I'll be going for a police-oriented job, hopefully, maybe because of the huge clean-up fiasco they're hiring some. Also because coming from a police family and making friends with em, always loved the police!