Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Rinzy

Traditional artists, how do you store your work?

rinzy stop making so many threads jesus shut up already

What is your preferred way to store your completed pieces? Some people use flat files, some use portfolios, some use a box in the closet.

Personally, I just acquired an old shipping crate that's just the perfect size for storing my works on paper. I'm planning to add some hinges and a clasp and make it rock

An old shipping crate... That sounds amazing!

Right now I don't have a lot of storage for anything, including my traditional art. I've been stacking my canvasses in the corner of my bedroom, and smaller art gets stored in a big accordion portfolio I bought several years ago, sorted by year created. I'm definitely keeping an eye on this thread for some better ideas!

In old Anthrocon plastic con bags. Yeah I'm not proud...

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I keep my work in old storage bins away from sunlight and ...ugh silverfish.

Weasyl
    Rinzy
    Quote Originally Posted by owlette View Post
    An old shipping crate... That sounds amazing!

Right now I don't have a lot of storage for anything, including my traditional art. I've been stacking my canvasses in the corner of my bedroom, and smaller art gets stored in a big accordion portfolio I bought several years ago, sorted by year created. I'm definitely keeping an eye on this thread for some better ideas!
    One thing about storing canvases that my professor warned us about is that the frames can warp easily if they're not stored right! I was taught to lean the first face-down on the wall with the long side to the ground, then place the back of the next against that with the short end on the ground, then the next face-to-face on that on the long end and so on. It apparently prevents warping or the canvases pushing into each other and making the canvas itself sag.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    I keep my work in old storage bins away from sunlight and ...ugh silverfish.
    I had no idea that a silverfish was anything other than a longboarding magazine until just now

Weasyl
    Hewge
    Chuck it all into a box and wack a sticky note on it which reads: "Hard Drive: B"

Canvas paintings are kept in a box as they are quite large.
    Sketches and drafts are kept in a portfolio folder case.
    Completed drawings are kept in a special binder, a frame, or between cardboard in a sleeve in a folder so as not to get damaged.
    Digital prints are kept in photo sleeves in a book or photo box.
    Nothing special so long as they wont get damaged

Quote Originally Posted by Rinzy View Post
    One thing about storing canvases that my professor warned us about is that the frames can warp easily if they're not stored right! I was taught to lean the first face-down on the wall with the long side to the ground, then place the back of the next against that with the short end on the ground, then the next face-to-face on that on the long end and so on. It apparently prevents warping or the canvases pushing into each other and making the canvas itself sag.
    Ooh, thanks for the tip! I'll have to see about organizing them a bit better.

Weasyl
    Charrio
    I have so many, i have to resort to the box in the garage type method.
    Now tho it's mostly digital so that clutter has been cleaned up quite a bit.
    Take a gander at my Gallery here, hope you like and brings a smile.
    https://www.weasyl.com/~charrio

Weasyl
    Rinzy
    Quote Originally Posted by owlette View Post
    Ooh, thanks for the tip! I'll have to see about organizing them a bit better.
    honestly, I'd have never even thought of that if my professor hadn't brought it up. I'd recommend putting newsprint between the face-to-face paintings though, if they're not varnished. I've had paintings stick together before, but it may have just been due to high heat >_>