Weasyl
    ZaryaRaccoon

Anyone into ambient/drone?

As I've said before, I'm pretty avid for this genre. I make it myself, but I'm not too confident of how it all sounds.

So, weasylgoers, do you do it yourself? I want to hear your ambient-drone stuff. Chill out. Darkpsy. Whatever.
    Your favorite groups/artists?
    Last edited by zarya; 01-23-2014 at 10:08 PM.

I don't nornally make ambient music outside of soundtrack work, but I do love it. Brian Eno is an amazing innovator there.

Here's one ambient piece I did for a game mod.

https://python-blue.bandcamp.com/track/the-castle

Weasyl
    Aster
    Whelp. Glad I checked the Multimedia forum.
    Ambient/drone is something I'm very interested in, and often find myself making (with various degrees of success). Usually, I end up making dark ambient and space music, the latter of which is possibly my favourite sub-genre.

I haven't uploaded much of my stuff here yet, since I'm not sure many people enjoy this sort of music (and also I'm trying to remaster all of my crappy older stuff first), but I've got a large portion of my music uploaded around the web.

My first attempt at producing a full ambient album was... really experimental and noisy and not worth linking to.
    But I followed that up with Mass Entropy From A Hopeless Era, and even though it's still pretty noisy at times (as dark ambient/noise-drone can be), I am pretty happy with how the drone track turned out.

Then I discovered space music, and released Space: 93 Astronomical Units under my main moniker. A lot of the first tracks need a fair bit of work before I re-release, but otherwise I like this album quite a bit. The final track is probably the best drone piece I've made so far.

The last album I released before deciding to re-master everything is I: Wind and I went for a more ambient IDM sound. I also went and made a 20 minute music video for the longest track.

And now for a list of my favourite ambient/drone/etc artists...
    - Altus: Huge discography of quality ambient & space music. Almost all of it is free.
    - Biosphere: Very atmospheric, often mixing organic and industrial noises.
    - Brian Eno is required listening for anyone who enjoys ambient, since the dude practically invented it. (His collabs with Fripp are always outstanding)
    - Bull of Heaven shouldn't be taken seriously and is best known for having the longest song ever recorded at over 6 years long. Their music is really hit or miss, but I find their concepts very entertaining.
    - Conelrad is up there as one of my favourite artists, usually releasing fantastic free IDM, but a few ambient/drone albums too
    - Emeralds makes lots of minimal, electronic, blippy, ambient stuff as well as soft and lo-fi drones
    - Gas I find to be lesser known considering he only released one album under that name, which is sad because his stuff is grand. I have a soft spot for warm, nostalgic electronics in my ambient.
    - Global Communication is another acclaimed ambient act. I've only listened to 76:14, but will definitely try to find more.
    - Tim Hecker: Again, very atmospheric. Tends to split his songs into parts that all merge seamlessly instead of making really long tracks for some reasons.
    - NǽnĉbbŒrğ VbřřĦōlkvsŦ (pronounced Nanocyborg Uberholocaust) is very similar to Bull of Heaven. They are definitely a joke band. But their absurdly long songs have had a fair bit of influence on my work, and some of their albums are actually pretty good (see Lunar). Lots of timestretching. They call their genre "Ambient Cosmic Extreme Funeral Drone Doom Metal"
    - Benn Jordan releases ambient music under his own name, but is better known as IDM producer The Flashbulb.
    - High Skies is the space music project by the guy behind Gas. A lot of this stuff could be grabbed for free at one point.

For things that are a bit outside the typical realm of ambient & drone...
    - Boards of Canada, the masters of nostalgic, analogue ambient IDM. My favourite band. Quite a number of their songs feel very ambient, especially the ones on their latest album, Tomorrow's Harvest.
    - Oneohtrix Point Never typically makes more electronica/IDM type music, but uses a lot of pulsing, droning pads and the like. I am mostly familiar with the album Rifts, which is one of my all-time favs. Again, very warm, nostalgic analogue sounds, because I love them.
    - Sun O))) makes ridiculously noisy, slow drone doom metal.
    - The Field makes some nice, catchy minimal techno.
    - M83 is typically more electro-shoegaze than ambient, but it's usually very downtempo stuff
    - Jhann Jhannsson: I'm not actually sure what genre would describe him. His stuff is often very cinematic, but a few of his songs are pretty ambient
    Last edited by Aster; 02-24-2014 at 02:17 AM.
    don't mind me; i'm just insane

it's not for me I'm afraid. Gave a few tracks a shot but they more or less all make me feel a bit weirded out. I'll stick to my regular stuff. Sorry!

There's probably one or two that I'd like if I gave them enough of a chance but not enough that I could say I'd be likely to become a fan of the genre.

Still, I gave it a shot :3

Weasyl
    Aster
    Hehe, yeah, ambient definitely isn't for everyone. Props to you for giving it a try though. Most of my friends wouldn't bother giving it a chance.

Just out of curiosity, what about it makes you feel 'weirded out'? Slow pace? Lack of beats? Odd noises?
    don't mind me; i'm just insane

Since this thread is about ambient music, I feel this is the best place to share this YouTube video.

http://youtu.be/7RngGlY-z4c

I love it.
    Tim Hecker is amazing, and so is Thomas Kner.
    I have a playlist for them right here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VBU4...lYhJfzzjKWOAYV