Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Weasyl
    Amaranth
    For the longest time I have had the same thoughts. I find that studying photographs and really taking note of the different shapes and how they relate to one another, as well as taking a look at lighting (and the light sources) while you are doing this is helpful to start figuring out shading and lighting. I find that when I get stuck, going "back to the basics" is what helps me. What I mean by "the basics" is drawing the basic shapes to build my drawings, this includes the subject (character/s), and the background elements, too! Start real simple, and make sure you are happy with the shapes/form before you add any more details in! If you are working digitally, flip the canvas as much as you can as you are drawing to see if it looks right from both orientations. If you are working traditionally (paper), hold it up in the mirror / have a mirror handy to check your work and adjust accordingly. Take a sketch pad out into your back yard (even if you live in the city!) and pick a subject or a scene of some sort and just start sketching and do your best! Even if it doesn't exactly turn out the way you want, if you learn something, it was worth it! You aren't going to be able to just draw exactly what you want how you want right off the bat. That takes time, pressure, and patience! Keep going even if you think it's never going to get better, because chances are, it will get better, even if it seems like it hasn't. I've had people tell me that my art has improved even when I see it as the same. A lot of artists (myself included) are so harsh on themselves they just can't see how great they really are! And what's really important at the end of the day is that you've had fun expressing yourself. Drawing is totally a good way for you to relieve stress! I know that's what I typically use it for. If I don't have access to my computer for drawing, I tend to get anxious because that's my release at the end of the day.

Keep it up, and keep posting art and stuff! You can do it. Just keep trying. Tutorials are also helpful! So browse any tutorials you can get your paws on!
    I know deviantart has a lot of them, I haven't really looked for any on weasyl yet, though.

Weasyl
    Getta
    An art teacher of mine once said something along the lines of, "Everyone has a million awful pictures inside of them and they just need to keep drawing every day to get them out of the way so they can reach the good drawings." And it's true, echoing what others have said, practice is a huge part of it.

Another part is the dual mindedness an artist absolutely needs to improve. You need the confidence to keep drawing and share your work with others to get their feedback, and you also need to be your own worst critique. If you don't recognize your failings, you can't address them. If you won't accept the criticism of others, you're missing out on a valuable resource for helping you to understand where you need to improve and how you can do that.

You also need patience. Good art takes time. The longer one spends on a piece, the better you can make it. The flip side is that you have to have a sense of when to "put a fork in it" and move on to your next piece so you're not constantly tinkering with one image. Eventually you'll get faster but the same holds true. It used to take me a days to finish one comic page, now I can finish a comic page in one day and have it look better than those old pages. However, if I spent several days on one comic, the work looks so much better than that. So I need to find that balance between quality and speed, a balance that can change from project to project.

These are all things to consider as you attempt to improve. Patience and dedication being key. When I was 19 my art was horrendous and slow compared to what I do now in my thirties.

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    You know how they say it.

Coal to Diamond.

Not Diamond to Diamond.