Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    TheLexicon

How Do Artists Do It?

How do artists get that "polished" look? I mean, digital art and even most traditional art I see just look so perfect, and I'm here like, "Everything I make is as ugly as I am". They don't even have so much detail in them, either, like, how do it look so good and professional?

Also, some tips on drawing landscapes would be helpful. I'm completely terrible at that, but I'd like to learn to draw some surreal scenery for use in the future.

Weasyl
    Hewge
    Practice?

Weasyl
    willy
    Witchcraft

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexicon View Post
    I mean, digital art and even most traditional art I see just look so perfect, and I'm here like, "Everything I make is as ugly as I am".
    But in all seriousness, having that kind of attitude certainly doesn't help. If you want to get better at drawing or anything, don't compare yourself to others and beat yourself up over your stuff not looking like theirs.

You can however, look to them for inspiration and of course, practice.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Experimentation/practice, really. Look at things and draw them as they are. Rinse and repeat.

It's like how everyone is good at something. Investment.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Well do you want to know?

You make tons of bad art and learn. It is extremely rare for artists to make good artwork in just a few tries.

The artists I know that have great work, create art for at least 8 hours a day or as much as a full-time job. Often times it is even more.

I am sure with that kind of dedication people will improve.

The unfortunate part is many give up or get too emotional over it to truly know.

It is a shame.

Weasyl
    Charrio
    I've been drawing for decades and I still feel like a Newbie amateur
    All I can say is, keep drawing and keep drawing for YOU not purely to please an audience.

There are also a number of tutorials artists share, some artists will also answer your questions directly if asked.
    Take a gander at my Gallery here, hope you like and brings a smile.
    https://www.weasyl.com/~charrio

Practice and determination.

It's not something that happens over night, some people have a natural talent but even they have to work at it.
    People spend hours getting the "polished" look, its just putting a lot of time into it, and then when you finish, do it all over again.

if you are having trouble with scenery and such I would say do some research and practice perspective.
    Also try to draw form life, you know, boring everyday things you see.

Weasyl
    Rinzy
    They decide they want the polished look and go for it. I know tons of artists on the opposite end of that spectrum, too, where they want that dirty, kind of messy look, and it's the same thing.

Look at artists who do what you want to do. Tell yourself that you'll do it. Look up resources, study their work, do research. Do master studies, but don't claim them as your own. After a few years, you'll get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinzy View Post
    They decide they want the polished look and go for it. I know tons of artists on the opposite end of that spectrum, too, where they want that dirty, kind of messy look, and it's the same thing.

Look at artists who do what you want to do. Tell yourself that you'll do it. Look up resources, study their work, do research. Do master studies, but don't claim them as your own. After a few years, you'll get it.
    That's a different way of thinking about it then me. To me the term "polished" really just means completed in a way that doesn't have bent corners, scribbles from partially erased lines and wrinkles.
    Like a well kept document. Sketchy and scribbly might be your style, so anything that doesn't belong in the picture shouldn't be visible. When that is achieved I consider it the artists "polished" look.

Weasyl
    Rinzy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammacha View Post
    That's a different way of thinking about it then me. To me the term "polished" really just means completed in a way that doesn't have bent corners, scribbles from partially erased lines and wrinkles.
    Like a well kept document. Sketchy and scribbly might be your style, so anything that doesn't belong in the picture shouldn't be visible. When that is achieved I consider it the artists "polished" look.
    I would say that what you're considering polished could better be considered "acceptable" instead of "polished." It's not a skill thing, it's a care thing to not have bent corners or wrinkles.