Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: slightly nervous

slightly nervous

well, I do like this website, but I am hoping it doesn't go down the wrong path like tumblr is doing, http://johntheslothblog.tumblr.com/post/74508404120 it seems like the government is making bad choices, but now tumblr? even deviantart is not doing well ( I heard that the deviantart admins or whoever they are don't seem to care that art is being stolen )

I'm hoping things go back to normal as time goes on

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2

Weasyl
    Fiz
    Eh if we start veering down a wrong path (I hope we never do), I'm sure we'll have our users shout at us to straighten us out :)

Insert Witty Comment Here AndiGreyScale's Avatar
    Weasyl
    AndiGreyScale
    Okay here's what the Terms say now for Tumblr.

Subscriber Content License to Tumblr:

When you provide Subscriber Content to Tumblr through the Services, you grant Tumblr a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, sublicensable, transferable right and license to use, host, store, cache, reproduce, publish, display (publicly or otherwise), perform (publicly or otherwise), distribute, transmit, modify, adapt (including, without limitation, in order to conform it to the requirements of any networks, devices, services, or media through which the Services are available), and create derivative works of, such Subscriber Content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purposes of allowing Tumblr to operate the Services in accordance with their functionality, improve the Services, and develop new Services. The reference in this license to "creat[ing] derivative works" is not intended to give Tumblr a right to make substantive editorial changes or derivations, but does, for example, enable “reblogging,” which allows Tumblr Subscribers to redistribute Subscriber Content from one Tumblr blog to another in a manner that allows them to add their own text or other Content before or after your Subscriber Content.

When you upload your creations to Tumblr, you’re giving us permission to make them available in all the ways you would expect us to (for example, via your blog, RSS, the Tumblr Dashboard, etc.). We never want to do anything with your work that surprises you.

Something else worth noting: Countless Tumblr blogs have gone on to spawn books, films, albums, brands, and more. Any royalties or reimbursement you get for your creations are, needless to say, entirely yours. It's your work, and we're proud to be a part (however small) of what you accomplish.
    You also agree that this license includes the right for Tumblr to make all publicly-posted Content available to third parties selected by Tumblr, so that those third parties can syndicate and/or analyze such Content on other media and services.

An example of what it means to "make all publicly-posted Content available" to a Tumblr partner for distribution or analysis would be licensing the Tumblr "firehose," a live feed of all public activity on Tumblr, to partners like search engines.
    Note also that this license to your Subscriber Content continues even if you stop using the Services, primarily because of the social nature of Content shared through Tumblr’s Services - when you post something publicly, others may choose to comment on it, making your Content part of a social conversation that can’t later be erased without retroactively censoring the speech of others.

One thing you should consider before posting: When you make something publicly available on the Internet, it becomes practically impossible to take down all copies of it.
    You also agree that you will respect the intellectual property rights of others, and represent and warrant that you have all of the necessary rights to grant us this license for all Subscriber Content you transfer to us.

Content License to You:

As a Subscriber of the Services, Tumblr grants you a worldwide, revocable, non-exclusive, non-sublicensable, and non-transferable license to download, store, view, display, perform, redistribute, and create derivative works of Content solely in connection with your use of, and in strict accordance with the functionality and restrictions of, the Services (including, without limitation, Paid Services, as defined below). This means, for example, that we license Content to you for purposes of reblogging.
    I actually still find it slightly confusing but so far I'm not seeing where it says Tumblr has the right to sell your images (or the likes) without permission nor does it say anywhere that Tumblr claims any owner ship on your content. They allow companies like search engines to be able to link to and show your content but they can't sell it.
    Last edited by AndiGreyScale; 01-25-2014 at 06:39 PM.

Weasyl
    Shad-Wolf

That bit in tumblrs terms are fairly common on any website that stores things, nothing in that block of their terms state that they own your material, it's basically a giant disclaimer saying that when you put things on their website it's going to be stored on their servers, and they have permission to do that, and let other people view the stuff you put on their servers. It also states that they can use the images as they see fit, which is another common thing on those types of websites, it's nothing new.

A lot of that is CYA stuff so they can add new features to let people check out their site in new ways without causing legal problems. If they release some Tumblr app for your iPhone, that's not exactly using their website to access the material. This legal boilerplate lets them do that and still let people check out the stuff you posted.

Granted, some companies may try and abuse this to profit off your work, but I don't recall hearing any cases of this happening. I'm sure someone could bring one up if there was one though.

As far as Weasyl and it's community; they seem to want to actually learn from the mistakes of others to avoid repeating them.

I really do not understand what the fuss is about. Putting your artwork anywhere online leaves it open to the possibility of theft or misuse by anyone.

This person seems to be spouting nothing more than sensationalist crap. From Tumblr's own page:

"You retain ownership of any intellectual property you post to Tumblr."

Someone's pulling some sort of stunt here to get attention to their tumblr. That's about all I see from this.

Insert Witty Comment Here AndiGreyScale's Avatar
    Weasyl
    AndiGreyScale
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    This person seems to be spouting nothing more than sensationalist crap. From Tumblr's own page:

Someone's pulling some sort of stunt here to get attention to their tumblr. That's about all I see from this.
    Yes, agreed. It's fear mongering.

Your original content is still yours and neither Tumblr nor Yahoo can sell it or claim ownership over it. It's safe!

10.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #10

Weasyl
    Fiz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post

People pull this fear mongering shit with the exact same type of ToS thing all the time. I think I saw people trying it with deviantart one time.

"DEVIANTART IS GONNA STEAL ALL OUR ART AND MAKE MONEY OFF OF IT!!"

I think DA makes enough money without illegally selling prints of your Sonic recolor and traced Naruto drawings.