Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Listening to/watching your own work?

I was just kind of curious on how many musicians/producers listen to and/or watch their recorded work beyond initial production, for pleasure or other reasons? I realized that it might be an odd habit of mine to put my music on my playlists, so when I hear it and cringe at every mistake, maybe I'll remember to avoid them during my next practice... but I've also found that I actually enjoy some of the things I've done recently, and will listen to them just 'cus.

Weasyl
    Rain-Wizard
    I always listen to my own work, over and over again, because I find faults easier to pick out from a more outside perspective.

I tend to find, especially with lyrics, I much prefer going back after a few days and deciding then what needs changing. Rarely is a song perfect in one take.
    "Disciple of the cross and champion in the suffering, immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption. Harden your mind through the chains of the divine; Make way for the shepherd of fire"

Weasyl
    ZaryaRaccoon
    I convince myself I'm awful.

I will listen to it sometimes, but I always have this confidence issue where "Why do I try? This is terrible. I can't do this."
    (It's reciprocated by people not listening either but *shrug* so it goes)

Weasyl
    Namba
    I cringe lol. But other people assure me it's better than I think, so IDK.

Here's one I really can't stand lol

Weasyl
    Tiido
    I listen all my creations for days once they are done. I am so incredibly proud at those times haha

Quote Originally Posted by Tiido View Post
    I listen all my creations for days once they are done. I am so incredibly proud at those times haha
    This is basically what happens for me, yeah. Minus the pride. Well, actually it starts out with pride, and then rapidly turns into a horrible sensation of "Oh my gosh, did I actually post this?! Who in their bloody right mind would like this?"

Thank you guys for the responses so far! It's cool to learn about other's quirks in this medium.

Weasyl
    Namba
    It's funny because some people are like, "so what do you use for pitch correction?" Then I'm like: *raises eyebrows* "I don't. I record on tape."

The only enhancements I use are during mastering.

Weasyl
    Tiido
    I am practicing singing myself, spectral analysis says I hit notes 90% of the time... but my vocal range is barely over an octave, and on the lower end - totally unsuitable for stuff I want to sing haha.

I have only had one tune I once posted and then later thought "that stuff is garbage"

I like watching my own videos they are very funny at some times

I listen to everything I've produced but haven't scrapped (these remain in a separate folder).

I just publish what I'm somehow proud of, so it's not a problem at all, although it makes me cringe a bit knowing where are the minor flaws, places where I forgot to put a note or didn't know how to bridge...

I'll take Daft Punk as a nice example; their first album was kinda amateurish and you know they were exploring a lot. And that's why I specially like it, the songs are not so matured but show a bright, enjoyable side of exploration. This is a bit of what I feel with my own pieces.