Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seizure Inducing Icons Discussion

Someone pointed out in a journal that we really need to control flashy icons here. Some have recently caused some bad headaches with some of the users here and are boarder line causing epileptic seizures. Some users have reported having headaches after viewing the fast moving icons. They said they had reported this issue to a staff member but were turned away.

A few of these known icons on other sites have in fact caused seizures and were banned because of it. I'm hoping this is a huge oversight via staff and that this isn't going to be continued to be allowed here. With a new site I would hope that we'd be trying to protect the user base from these type of features by asking the users of the icons to either remove them or slow them down to an appropriate speed. I really don't want to see people stop using weasyl because it's making them sick.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2

Weasyl
    Fiz
    I've gone and split this and made it's own thread, since it is more appropriate as it's own discussion thread.

We do have ban on seizure inducing icons. I'm not sure what you mean by 'turned away' since we do remove those sorts of icons, among other icons that may violate our Community Guidelines. I believe a handful have been removed even fairly recently if I recall correctly.

We're looking to other solutions though, to quote Inaki from a comment:

Quote Originally Posted by Inaki
    As for a more permanent solution, our coders are working on a couple of ideas for improving the user icons system. It will take some time to code up, as we have several other projects running at the same time, but I'm confident the solution will work well overall.
    Feel free to use this thread on suggestions regarding this issue.

I think I've got something to add here.

Flashing icons are a good start, but moving patterns of certain types can also induce seizures (they are also effectively creating a flashing pattern in a way). Some examples of things in real life that can cause seizures.

Trees on the side of the road that are equally spaced, and center stripes at certain speeds can also cause seizures. Might be something to append onto the rule for seizure protection.

As far as how to deal with that I'm not sure. My boyfriend gets really bad headaches from anything that moves or changes/repeats, it's not really a seizure risk (I have no idea why he gets headaches from things like that), but to avoid it happening he blocks anything that animates as soon as he see's it. I could ask him what he uses to do that, as a tool for people to use to supplement those who need to block those things while they wait for them to be removed. (He uses safari...it might just be a built in feature, it seems to work better than ABP, which will block all icons on a website last time I tried to use it to block icons that bother me)

This might be of some use. It's some tips for how to minimise the chances of causing one with links to some plugins. They might not work in current Firefox though.

http://videogameseizures.wordpress.c...-your-browser/

Ahhh I see! Thanks for that, I can now block avatars that bother me now.

Weasyl
    xarg
    Should be easy enough to do automatic server-side detection of animated icons and generate a single-frame version of them. That way users could choose to disable animated icons completely if they don't want to see them. I personally don't have any issues with seizures or the likes, but I would still opt to disable animated icons if it was an option, because they just annoy me. Power to the people.

I sent you a private note on the matter with links to what triggered me to write this.

- - - Updated - - -

While I agree filtering may work for those users. Everyone's trigger points are different and by leaving those type of icons up that have proven to bother some were setting ourselves up to have it happen again to an unsuspecting member who stumbles upon it as well and maybe they don't survive the effects to be able to place the filter.

While some people only experience mild cases of nausea and vomiting what about the cases that have a full blown seizure because of these icons and never live to tell about it.

Fact is many users maybe having effects caused indirectly or directly by these icons and write them off as side effects to other things not really realzing what actually triggered them.

I'm a true supporter of filters and screening things that only bother myself. But with things that could in fact cause direct or indirect harm to others need a better answer then just a personal filter.

I never suggested using a filter as an only solution, just as a supplement cause there will always be things that slip through as long as animated icons are allowed.

Which segues into my other thought, just don't allow animated icons. It'll completely nip the issue at the bud, which I think is a worthwhile thing to do because there are people out there that think it's "funny" to have seizure inducing icons. I don't know how anyone can find potentially killing another person funny, but that's just the kind of world we live in unfortunately. :\

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10

Weasyl
    Fiz
    Quote Originally Posted by lunarorchid View Post
    I sent you a private note on the matter with links to what triggered me to write this.

- - - Updated - - -

While I agree filtering may work for those users. Everyone's trigger points are different and by leaving those type of icons up that have proven to bother some were setting ourselves up to have it happen again to an unsuspecting member who stumbles upon it as well and maybe they don't survive the effects to be able to place the filter.

While some people only experience mild cases of nausea and vomiting what about the cases that have a full blown seizure because of these icons and never live to tell about it.

Fact is many users maybe having effects caused indirectly or directly by these icons and write them off as side effects to other things not really realzing what actually triggered them.

I'm a true supporter of filters and screening things that only bother myself. But with things that could in fact cause direct or indirect harm to others need a better answer then just a personal filter.
    Considering everyone's trigger points are different, I'd say being able to set personal filters (if/when it gets coded in), and having a solid anti-seizure icon ban (which is being discussed currently since we need to figure out the best way to determine what is a 'bad' icon) would probably be the best blanket measure we could do right now. The only other thing I can think of adding would be an easier way to report said bad icons (also in discussion). If anyone else has any ideas to add to this, feel free to suggest them.

Unfortunately we are not going to be able to cater to everyone's needs regarding this since, like you said, epileptic trigger points are extremely varied. We definitely do not want people to fall ill while using the site, but some people may fall through the cracks. We'll do what we can though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lorenith View Post
    I never suggested using a filter as an only solution, just as a supplement cause there will always be things that slip through as long as animated icons are allowed.

Which segues into my other thought, just don't allow animated icons. It'll completely nip the issue at the bud, which I think is a worthwhile thing to do because there are people out there that think it's "funny" to have seizure inducing icons. I don't know how anyone can find potentially killing another person funny, but that's just the kind of world we live in unfortunately. :\
    That'd be a permanent solution but not a nice one. Not a fan of cutting down an entire tree just because of a few bad apples.

The bad apples in this case need to be reported since they're breaking a rule, rather than punishing all the good apples by cutting down the tree totally.
    Last edited by Fiz; 02-05-2014 at 05:30 PM.