Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Are you an Archer?

Last edited by Sammacha; 01-21-2014 at 09:25 PM.

I've tried it out a few times, along with rifle sharpshooting (related, but not really). I think it's a pretty awesome hobby to have, and something I could actually pick up someday. Are you familiar with Kyudo at all, traditional Japanese archery? Back when I was like 16 and doing some martial arts and Zen meditation practice, my instructor's father happened to have written a book called One Arrow, One Life: Zen, Archery, Enlightenment, so he had me read it and try it out. I moved not too long after that, unfortunately, but it was fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    I've tried it out a few times, along with rifle sharpshooting (related, but not really). I think it's a pretty awesome hobby to have, and something I could actually pick up someday. Are you familiar with Kyudo at all, traditional Japanese archery? Back when I was like 16 and doing some martial arts and Zen meditation practice, my instructor's father happened to have written a book called One Arrow, One Life: Zen, Archery, Enlightenment, so he had me read it and try it out. I moved not too long after that, unfortunately, but it was fascinating.
    Hmm well I don't actually do any shooting with gun or anything, might try it. However my friend who does both shooting and recently picked up archery actually said it helped his shooting. Not just the focus and muscle memory but just little things like keeping your stance until the target is missed. Though I think he does several kinds of shooting including skeet shooting, I'm not sure its the same for you. I have no idea when it come to that kind of thing other then just basics of a hand gun.

I do know Kyudo, though I have never tried. To my knowledge the main difference is that your left hand holds the bow and the your right hand draws the string. That may have changed but this was the traditional way. Also the bow is much larger and of a different style.
    Other then that I am assuming the concept is quite similar, where you learn good form, concentration and the motion of aim, draw, anchor, release.
    Your friends dad must have been a very interesting guy to have written such books. Archery to some is a great for of meditation. You really need to be able to concentrate and know your body ie: muscle memory and aim point.
    I enjoy shooting bare bow for some of these reasons, as I was comparing to my friend who uses a compound but is also a beginner. No matter how much time he is away form archery his sight is set (unless he moves it). He still aims that at the center of the target and the rest of his form is what he concentrates on. For me, I dont have a sight, I need to remember where to aim based on the distance I am shooting at. Basically a mental image of where to point my arrow before I release.

I think that if you had enjoyed it in the past it might be interesting to look into sometime in the future. I'm very much enjoying it now but much like all my other hobbies I will eventually put it away to try something new but I will always go back to it.

Weasyl
    Rain-Wizard
    I'd love to try archery, but I've never really looked into it.

But, I played Zelda on the Wii, that counts...right? Right? :V
    "Disciple of the cross and champion in the suffering, immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption. Harden your mind through the chains of the divine; Make way for the shepherd of fire"

Quote Originally Posted by RainWizard View Post
    I'd love to try archery, but I've never really looked into it.

But, I played Zelda on the Wii, that counts...right? Right? :V
    You should look into it, its quite different from playing on the wii

Weasyl
    Tica
    I've had my own bow and arrows since, like, middle school, but I haven't really been able to go out and shoot since college. I either have lived with my equipment in storage, or have lived in a place where there's no ranges or fields with hay bales available for target practice...

I'd love to get back into it sometime but I don't see it happening in the near future.

EDIT

I have a recurve. I don't remember the poundage, but it's low since it's something that teenage me handled all right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tica View Post
    I've had my own bow and arrows since, like, middle school, but I haven't really been able to go out and shoot since college. I either have lived with my equipment in storage, or have lived in a place where there's no ranges or fields with hay bales available for target practice...

I'd love to get back into it sometime but I don't see it happening in the near future.

EDIT

I have a recurve. I don't remember the poundage, but it's low since it's something that teenage me handled all right.
    That's cool, its such a shame when you have something you want to use but no where to use it. However have you considered buying a hamster wood chip bail thing? They aren't expensive and actually work fairly well as a target butt. They can be found in pet shops usually for under $50 (and that's a really big bail).

I know that college is huge time burden though , good luck btw

I think the average starting weight is about 20-25lb's, but it depends on your strength, maybe thats what you had?

Weasyl
    Chuchi
    I like archery, of the traditional sorts. Interested in making my own bow, as well, I currently have wood 'curing' for that process. I don't do any like... competitive shoots or anything, just for a hobby. :3
    ╭━━━━━━━━━━━━━━╮
    Something interesting about myself.
    ╰━━━━━━━━━━━━━━╯

Weasyl
    Batty Krueger
    My best friend is, I beleive everything he uses is by hoyt.

My brother was into archery and it got me interested in it as well. A great sport. I always just borrowed his stuff, which were pretty good.
    A hunting bow and a recurve bow. I preferred the hunting one. Was more powerful and felt better. Was easier to aim too when it took some of the force away.