Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    WildOak

Why draw badly on purpose??? [cartoons]

I've noticed that North American cartoons are often very ugly. And it's not because the artists can't draw well; they obviously CAN draw well, but choose to make their characters ugly. Why? What reason could they possibly have for this? I just don't get it.

Anyone have insight? cuz I'm totally baffled.

Edited to add:
    Ok, examples of thigs I don't like: Futurama, the Simpsons. Especially things like the bulging eyes, jaws with severly exaggerated underhang or overhang, that sort of thing.

I do understand that it takes time to draw and simpler is better, but simple doesn't have to be ugly. The old Spiderman and X-men cartoons were simple, but not ugly. Same with Dungeons and Dragons.

I hope that helps.
    I'm sorry I didn't add examples at first. I really didn't want to cause any bad feelings or arguments.

Edit2: Perhaps I should mention that I'm from Europe. This wasn't a West versus Japan thing; we can certainly talk about anime if it's relevant, but I was more commenting on what's available in Europe versus what I see here. Again, I should have been more clear in my OP. I'm a dufushead sometimes.
    Last edited by catwithpen; 08-13-2012 at 02:56 PM.

Weasyl
    N/A
    That's just your personal opinion that they are ugly. They are not ugly. They are heavily stylised.

Besides, cartoons take time to make, and they are drawn frame by frame. The cartoon industry is a business, where there are profits to be made, expenses to cut, and deadlines to meet. If they did a photorealistic animated feature, do you have any idea how damned expensive it would be?

Weasyl
    StudioTRUE
    Quote Originally Posted by catwithpen View Post
    I've noticed that North American cartoons are often very ugly. And it's not because the artists can't draw well; they obviously CAN draw well, but choose to make their characters ugly. Why? What reason could they possibly have for this? I just don't get it.

Anyone have insight? cuz I'm totally baffled.
    Can you at least give an example of what you consider ugly?

Weasyl
    Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by Uini View Post
    Can you at least give an example of what you consider ugly?
    An example of what you think isn't ugly as well might be helpful too. At least that could be a point of debate rather than opinions butting heads.
    Look at all the fun we're having.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    An example of what you think isn't ugly as well might be helpful too. At least that could be a point of debate rather than opinions butting heads.
    I'm half-expecting it to be anime/manga.

I'm not sure where this thread is going, but it looks like a shitstorm is brewing on the horizon. I'm going to batten down the hatches and grab some popcorn 'cause this is gonna be entertaining.

My personal addition to the thread? The OP is insane. Just look at The last airbender.

Weasyl
    Tiger
    It really is personal taste when it comes to character designs. Keep in mind, they have to appeal to a wide range of viewers and they have to please as many as they can. They're gonna draw what works, and sometimes what works may not be really adorable or whatever else some people find ideal. That can happen even in anime; a friend of mine likes this particular anime and he loves the facial expressions, while I think it's very poorly drawn. Just because it doesn't appeal to me doesn't mean everyone else will feel the same way.

Example. Me, I can't stand Phineas and Ferb. But it's been very successful because despite that some people many not like the look of it, it appeals to a larger crowd and that crowd is who they draw for. If -everyone- thought the characters were ugly, then the show wouldn't be around.

Can't please all the people all the time, I guess.

Weasyl
    StudioTRUE
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'm really hoping not to cause an actual fuss over this. I really would just like to see what OP considers ugly. I mean I see some ugly animation in a lot of animations myself. And sadly I already see this topic turning very sour, more or less it was doomed from the start.

Also might be worth pointing out that aesthetics isn't everything. For example, I like the Rugrats a lot but the style was kinda butt-ugly and wobbly. I think it was almost intentional that things looked a bit like they were scribbles/wobbly because it was a show through the eyes of babies.

I don't think there was an aesthetic I picked up out of cartoons that I really liked for drawing. I think that's because animation is more about showing something happening without worrying how "pretty" it looks. Like this. The characters aren't very great-looking but the animation and scene is beautiful.

Edit:

I also don't think there's going to be a fuss about it. It was pointed out that sometimes you trade out aesthetics for functionality because of the medium. We can't have every frame looking like a portrait, can we? I don't know if it's easier to imagine since I think some cartoons are made with flash and tweening, but I guess you could imagine making some animation as having to make a lot of pictures. Less details helps.
    Last edited by Wuvvums; 08-08-2012 at 07:36 PM.