Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 168
  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Term View Post
    Alternatively thought when they let Retro Studios do Prime it was praised as one of the greatest revivals of a franchise ever.

    Now choosing the Dynasty Warriors team to try making a Zelda combat game, on paper, makes sense. As I think allowing Factor 5, if it still existed, to have done a Star Fox title. Or allowing any number of teams to develop a new F-Zero.

    Sure, some things have failed, but hey, you gotta take risks. And banking on yet another Mario or Zelda title for the length of this console generation ain't gonna do it.
    That's a good counter-example. Now that you say that, I think Retro's success is what prompted them to give even more leeway with the Metroid IP, but then as soon as something happened that they didn't like, bam. Back to Square One. That's where their main problem lies.

    Also, the things I would do for a new Star Fox entry. The things.

  2. #12
    Senior Rinzy's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Rinzy
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by Term View Post
    Alternatively thought when they let Retro Studios do Prime it was praised as one of the greatest revivals of a franchise ever.

    Now choosing the Dynasty Warriors team to try making a Zelda combat game, on paper, makes sense. As I think allowing Factor 5, if it still existed, to have done a Star Fox title. Or allowing any number of teams to develop a new F-Zero.

    Sure, some things have failed, but hey, you gotta take risks. And banking on yet another Mario or Zelda title for the length of this console generation ain't gonna do it.
    Don't forget that almost all of the handheld Zelda games through Minish Cap were developed by Capcom and are probably some of the best games in the franchise.

  3. #13
    Senior Willow's Avatar
    Weasyl
    willy
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Bones View Post
    "We all knew that the Wii U isn't as great as it's predecessor was, and it seems like Nintendo has just realised that, too, by admitting that the sales from it's latest console has fallen short of their financial expectations."

    The Wii U is sure a SHIT better than the original Wii, but yes, it was a flop, because it still sucks.

    The ENTIRE Wii concept is shit. The Wii sucked megaballs and the Wii U sucked slightly less megaballs. People didn't buy the Wii U not because it was worse, they didn't buy it cuz' they already knew it would suck judging by the previous console.
    I think the 3DS suffered similarly until Animal Crossing and Pokemon came out.

    But the reason why the Wii U's sales didn't meet Nintendo's goals is because of advertising. Nintendo failed to assert that it was a separate console from the Wii as opposed to an add on to an existing console. On top of the fact that it didn't have many exclusive games.

  4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #14
    Crabby Admin Term's Avatar

    Weasyl
    Term
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinzy View Post
    Don't forget that almost all of the handheld Zelda games through Minish Cap were developed by Capcom and are probably some of the best games in the franchise.
    Having never owned a 3DS I did not know this!

  5. #15
    Senior Rilvor's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Alteir
    Posts
    1,199
    I'm here ringing the bell for "No Gaems" as well as bad advertising. I found out months after the console was released, and promptly forgot about it because they just didn't try. I don't even watch TV, and somehow I still saw commercials for the Wii. Never doubt how much influence those irritating ads have.

    It's also just what they did with the console in general; While I thought the controller might be a cool idea, I don't trust Nintendo to make their peripherals really do it. The rest of the console just wasn't exciting, and I didn't ever play a PS3 for the same reasons.

    Oh well, at least the 3DS XL (Yes, the X/Y one) is credited with finally making my favorite handheld of all time shift away from the Gameboy Advance. I adore this thing.

  6. #16
    Solifugid Onnes's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Onnes
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    321
    I wonder if Nintendo is willing to play the same game as Sony and Microsoft. If they released a system with similar hardware they would have both the allure of Nintendo exclusives along with all the multiplatform titles that would have little trouble supporting all three systems. But they would lose their typical high margins on hardware sales. Given the failure of the Wii U, the loss of hardware margin is probably less of a downside that it was prior, as actual profit beats theoretical profit margin. That's all assuming Nintendo could, at an organizational level, be more friendly to third party developers.

  7. #17
    Senior Rilvor's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Alteir
    Posts
    1,199
    I'm sad that it failed, but it isn't the first time they've done this. Here's hoping next time around is something fun and interesting.

  8. #18
    Senior Vae's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Vae
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the sky
    Gender
    Ludwig Von Koopa
    Posts
    1,697
    The absence of games and lack of difference from the original Wii (which I already own) put me off from it, as well.

    I mean, I liked what little I played of NSMB U. The tablet controller wasn't nearly as horribad as I expected, and I appreciate that they finally gave the koopalings their own distinct attack patterns and shit, but that's not enough to justify buying an entire console.
    Neither is 3D Land.
    Neither is Wind Waker, which I already own for the Cube.
    Resident Koopa Trash

  9. #19
    Senior Infestissumam's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Infestissumam
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    stepping on the crowtche owf your americain presidaint
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    The absence of games and lack of difference from the original Wii (which I already own) put me off from it, as well.

    I mean, I liked what little I played of NSMB U. The tablet controller wasn't nearly as horribad as I expected, and I appreciate that they finally gave the koopalings their own distinct attack patterns and shit, but that's not enough to justify buying an entire console.
    Neither is 3D Land.
    Neither is Wind Waker, which I already own for the Cube.
    Yeah, but the problem with that is NSMB U is it felt like an expansion pack for the Wii game, and then Wind Waker was a Gamecube port. Then 3D Land was another Mario game no one was asking for. It's no surprise that no many Wii Us are being sold.

  10. #20
    To be honest this isn't a surprise for me.
    The Wii lacked many things for common gamers that play FPS games and the sort, but offered alot for families and fitness.
    I think it failed to bring the best of both world and by trying to please to family side of things even more, most of the gamer community became uninterested therefore causes a loss for Nintendo.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •