Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Rain-Wizard
    I am more impressed with my Wii U than I thought I would be, especially the feature to play games on the pad. My only gripe so far is the dodgy server, Nintendo just....can't server.
    "Disciple of the cross and champion in the suffering, immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption. Harden your mind through the chains of the divine; Make way for the shepherd of fire"

Quote Originally Posted by lorenith View Post
    You do realize that the 2DS was created and marketed for children 7 years old and younger right?
    Doesn't matter to me what age group it was focused on, I'm aware Nintendo is quite often geared toward children/family in general. Was just my opinion though, I haven't bought a hand-held console from Nintendo since the DSi, so I can't say the 2DS was really any different aside from the obvious no-flip structure(which held in my hands nicely actually) and cheap looking material and I didn't like the 3D feature on the 3DS so I figured I'd get the 2DS and my game together instead. It's okay! I mean, it held up and whatnot but meh... just not a fan of Nintendo's products anymore, I guess. I shouldn't have expected much for $130 though. Haha.

You should have gotten a 3DS while they were on sale, which they often are. Cowboom's got really good deals on used 3DS systems, if you're willing to go that route. The 2DS is something I never would have considered; it lacks the elegance of most Nintendo handhelds and is designed for one very specific audience... children.

Weasyl
    Runefox
    And they've cut their salaries before, if you're going to show the facts you really outta show the big picture not just part of it.
    What does cutting their salaries once before have to do with "the big picture"?

The big picture isn't that they've cut their salaries once, it's that they've done it on more than one occasion, and that they typically very financially successful and are good at picking up when they start to slide. Yeah it's bad that they had something like a 15% slide in stock, but the point is that they will most likely recover (this isn't a super duper huge hit to them in the long term), and that their performance where money concerned isn't super bad compared to their competitors.

The big picture isn't that they've cut their salaries once, it's that they've done it on more than one occasion, and that they typically very financially successful and are good at picking up when they start to slide. Yeah it's bad that they had something like a 15% slide in stock, but the point is that they will most likely recover (this isn't a super duper huge hit to them in the long term), and that their performance where money concerned isn't super bad compared to their competitors.
    This. People are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill out of this whole situation. The Wii didn't see strong sales at first either, and it needed a full year to catch up to the 360 in total market volume, and the PS3 did outsell it on a weekly basis at least once after the Wii was released. The main problem with the Wii U is something that they succeeded with the Wii: Marketing. The fact that even people at its E3 unveiling thought it was just an add-on to the Wii, that parents were wondering why they need to "get another Wii", and that Nintendo had to make commercials saying the Wii U and Wii weren't the same says a lot about their marketing scheme and the very name of the console itself. While games are important, that's not even close to the main issue here, even though it's a factor. The Wii U won't completely fail, though, this is just the start of this console generation, anything could happen.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    I love my 2DS. :B
    Fits my hands much better than the first I had.
    It fits better, but they traded off with piss poor battery life and sound quality.

The Wii U has had more time to get its act together.

The nintendo gaming consoles really died for me after the gamecube. I think the lack of games and that they were geared towards younger people, like putting out a M rated game that was on the xbox and the ps but making it rated T
    I mean I get being family friendly, but yeah... Just ruined for me, also very few games I saw that made me think "wow I really want to play that"

Resident Evil remake for Gamecube make Wolf Bone's savage blood boil
    blood curdling howl like a crimson head mating call
    if only for a HD remake could want :c
    dem pre-rendered backgrounds~
    itchy itchy tasty

Weasyl
    Runefox
    The big picture isn't that they've cut their salaries once, it's that they've done it on more than one occasion, and that they typically very financially successful and are good at picking up when they start to slide.
    In my eyes, the fact that they've had to do it more than once shows they probably shouldn't be allowed to just say "yup, sorry, our bad" and not change course. Iwata promised investors 9 million WiiU units by end of FY14 because they're not happy; He didn't promise that to chest thump at fans. Now that the promise hasn't come true, he's being held accountable and this is his response. This was also his response when the 3DS's launch flopped, though they did manage to recover from that by, surprise, courting third party developers and getting more people interested in the system with a price drop. Most of the people I knew at the time of the 3DS launch, including myself, were hesitant because of the high price tag and the relative lack of games available for the system. Both of those got addressed pretty quickly, but for all the whining people are doing about how Nintendo doesn't need third party developers, you'd think Nintendo fans don't want Nintendo to pull the WiiU out of the fire.

But anyway, coupled with the buyback of stock, this looks to me a lot like Nintendo leadership doesn't want to have to answer to stockholders in the future.

Yeah it's bad that they had something like a 15% slide in stock, but the point is that they will most likely recover (this isn't a super duper huge hit to them in the long term), and that their performance where money concerned isn't super bad compared to their competitors.
    Wait what? I'm genuinely curious what you mean by this.

Quote Originally Posted by RX-149Dragonite View Post
    The Wii didn't see strong sales at first either
    Uhhh... What reality are you living in?

It did over 600k units in its first 8 days on the market in North America alone. The first week of revenue was $190 million. In Japan, the Wii sold nearly 372k units in two days. The Wii's launch in the UK broke the Xbox 360's record-setting launch numbers at 105k units in its opening weekend, and went on to sell 325k total units in Europe in its first two days. It also set records in Australia at 32.9k units sold in four days. It outsold the PS3 and 360 combined during the first half of 2007.

Retailers couldn't keep the system in stock for a full year or more in some regions after its launch because of demand, including in North America where Nintendo increased supplies between October and December 2008 and began manufacturing 800k more units monthly than at launch to attempt to meet it.

and it needed a full year to catch up to the 360 in total market volume
    Probably because of the year-long headstart and record-breaking launches the 360 enjoyed until the Wii's release.

The main problem with the Wii U is something that they succeeded with the Wii: Marketing. The fact that even people at its E3 unveiling thought it was just an add-on to the Wii, that parents were wondering why they need to "get another Wii", and that Nintendo had to make commercials saying the Wii U and Wii weren't the same says a lot about their marketing scheme and the very name of the console itself.
    The name of the console has caused the most confusion thus far, certainly, along with the tablet controller being seen primarily as what makes the WiiU the WiiU; It looks like an add-on because nobody focused on the box during the announcement and release.

While games are important, that's not even close to the main issue here, even though it's a factor. The Wii U won't completely fail, though, this is just the start of this console generation, anything could happen.
    Wait, games aren't the main issue for why a game console isn't selling? Most of the people I know don't want a WiiU or don't play theirs because there's nothing to play on it (and, like the 3DS launch, it's too expensive for what you get; Remember, the Wii launched at $249). Third parties have no idea what to do with a box that's a generation behind tech-wise and has a tablet controller that even Nintendo doesn't know what to do with - Thanks to off-TV play, you can't count on that second screen being available at any given time like you can with the (2/3)DS, so you can't put anything important on it. You could say third parties don't matter to Nintendo and you'd be right - That is what they seem to think - but Nintendo's first-party releases have been few and far between as well. It's a year in, and we don't have a new Zelda, we don't have a new Metroid, we don't have a new Smash, we don't have a new Mario Kart, we didn't even really have a new Mario game until late 2013...

It's not just market confusion, though that's one of the many reasons why the massive casual userbase hasn't caught on with the WiiU yet. There's another problem with courting the casual market: The casual market isn't the type to run out and buy the latest and greatest console. They've already got their Wii Fit, they've already got their Wii Sports Resort. They've got their toys already. Like you said, why do they need to buy another Wii when they already have one that works? That's the audience that Nintendo won't be winning back anytime soon, and they need to stop trying if they want to move on and capture a place for themselves in this generation. They've run too many ineffectual ads outlining the differences between the Wii and WiiU now that they should know that it's a lost cause already. The Wii's lightning in a bottle isn't happening for the WiiU.
    Last edited by Runefox; 01-30-2014 at 03:47 AM.