Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Infestissumam
    stepping on the crowtche owf your americain presidaint

Wii U a Flop, Admits Nintendo

http://www.news.com.au/technology/ga...-1226805328847

We all knew that the Wii U isn't as great as it's predecessor was, and it seems like Nintendo has just realised that, too, by admitting that the sales from it's latest console has fallen well short of their financial expectations.

'We failed to reach our target for hardware sales during the year-end, when revenues are the highest,' Nintendo said in a statement.

'As a result, the sale of high-margin software fell far short of our projections.'

The company now expects a Yen35billion operating loss for the financial year, with its portable console, the 3DS also not meeting sales expectations. It's the opposite of the Yen100billion profit the company had predicted for the year, and the third year in a row that Nintendo has operated at a loss.

This sales flop comes despite a 3-year high in consumer sales of video game consoles and US buyers spending over $1.3billion in the Christmas period alone.

Satoshi Iwata, Nintendo's president is feeling this as a major blow after promising to turn the company around after last years disastrous financial results. Acknowledging that the Wii U and its little difference from the Wii is the problem, Iwata said

'The company appears to have failed to differentiate the Wii U from the Wii,' he said. He also mentioned that his own 10-year-old son, who owns both a Wii and DS, had shown no interest in the Wii U.

Weasyl
    KumatoraKazooie
    Hopefully the Wii U will get a bit better once Smash 4 comes out.

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3

Weasyl
    Term
    People made fun of the name choice and I think rightly so.

The Wii succeded because it was geared towards a mass audience with a novelty controller and came packaged with a family-friendly game in Wii-Sports, and later got another surge thanks to Wii Fit convincing middle-aged mothers everywhere they could get fit by playing a fun game that their kids would also like.

But at the end of the day, the Wii U is a gaming system. And while I don't want to say it's lacking in quality games it's certainly lacking in games that people actually want to play. Wonderful 101, ZombiU, Mario, and Zelda games are all great and all, but it's not enough to justify a large audience buying into it, especially with its complicated friend-codes, odd controller, and variety of games.

Sure, Smash will likely sell a couple more systems, but at the end of the day, Nintendo is likely the most underachieving company in the world simply because they're so protective of all their properties or don't believe the American audience has any interest in certain games (see Mother 3). While we certainly don't want a situation like how certain games are now coming out on a nearly basis, I would think by now Nintendo would consider having a cycle of titles to work on. A new Metroid this year, next year a Star Fox game, the year after a new F-Zero, a Zelda/Mario year, Mach Rider, Kirby, etc. Let companies like Retro Studios take a crack at some more titles. Let others get involved. I know in some cases they didn't all turn out great for one reason or another. Dinosaur Planet was doomed from the moment Miyamoto mentioned that the game reminded him of Star Fox, meanwhile Namco's Star Fox Assault was average at best (still enjoyed it personally but I can be realistic). Personally I don't have high hopes for the Zelda/Dynasty Warriors crossover, but that's just me. But hell, at least they're -trying- something different to get audiences excited about their properties.

Basically I feel like what Nintendo needs is a completely new console within the next couple of years that's A)easy to develop for and by extension allow all those third party games people love to be played on it and B) reinvest in letting different studios try out making a new game based on one or more of their established properties that people love so much. I can't say that would guarantee a greater interest in their gaming systems, but eh, just my thoughts.

Weasyl
    N/A
    SOMEONE CALL THE WAAAHMBULANCE

Wii U Wii U Wii U Wii U

---

I kid, of course.

I think it's a shame about the Wii U. It was a nice idea, but like Term said, there's a major lack of great games to justify buying it. When the Wii was new, there was an assload of games to choose from, in fact since it was such a new gimmick, so many people bought it just for Wii Sports, didn't they?

Weasyl
    Shark Bones
    "We all knew that the Wii U isn't as great as it's predecessor was, and it seems like Nintendo has just realised that, too, by admitting that the sales from it's latest console has fallen well short of their financial expectations."

The Wii U is sure a SHIT better than the original Wii, but yes, it was a flop, because it still sucks.

The ENTIRE Wii concept is shit. The Wii sucked megaballs and the Wii U sucked slightly less megaballs. People didn't buy the Wii U not because it was worse, they didn't buy it cuz' they already knew it would suck judging by the previous console.

Weasyl
    Infestissumam
    stepping on the crowtche owf your americain presidaint
    The Wii U's biggest problem is not having games, among other things. When the Wii launched, it had Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime 3 announced beforehand. The only games I've been interested in playing on the Wii U that have already been released are Super Mario 3D World and Pikmin 3, and I would be surprised if anyone's list was longer than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Bones View Post
    The ENTIRE Wii concept is shit. The Wii sucked megaballs and the Wii U sucked slightly less megaballs. People didn't buy the Wii U not because it was worse, they didn't buy it cuz' they already knew it would suck judging by the previous console.
    Well that's.. one way to put it, I suppose. I don't know if I'd necessarily say it sucks, but I'd definitely call the Wii U "unnecessary" in the console market. Regardless if the first Wii sucked or not, it printed money for Nintendo, and it was obviously something consumers wanted. They just didn't want yet another one of what many people still think was a gimmicky system, although Microsoft and Sony were sure happy to jump on the boat with motion control after seeing Nintendo's success.

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #8

Weasyl
    Term
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    And Iwata came out recently admitting that Nintendo has a problem...much like he's done the past decade.

I expect NOTHING console wise to change.
    Very likely. At this point the only thing worth Nintendo's time seems to be the handhelds.

It's a shame too because, as I said, they have such a wealth of properties to choose from to make new games from, but who knows why they've avoided doing anything with them at this point.

Whether it's lack of financial capital to fund a project, trust in other companies to make quality games, or just a general disconnect from their audience, it's just all a real shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Term View Post
    It's a shame too because, as I said, they have such a wealth of properties to choose from to make new games from, but who knows why they've avoided doing anything with them at this point.

Whether it's lack of financial capital to fund a project, trust in other companies to make quality games, or just a general disconnect from their audience, it's just all a real shame.
    I think while they may be unhealthily overprotective of their IPs at times, recent history doesn't exactly smile upon Nintendo. When they let Team Ninja have a go at Metroid with Other M, that didn't pan out nearly as well as they were hoping to. There was so much hype about Other M, and then the sales weren't even close to what they were hoping for.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10

Weasyl
    Term
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    I think while they may be unhealthily overprotective of their IPs at times, recent history doesn't exactly smile upon Nintendo. When they let Team Ninja have a go at Metroid with Other M, that didn't pan out nearly as well as they were hoping to. There was so much hype about Other M, and then the sales weren't even close to what they were hoping for.
    Alternatively thought when they let Retro Studios do Prime it was praised as one of the greatest revivals of a franchise ever.

Now choosing the Dynasty Warriors team to try making a Zelda combat game, on paper, makes sense. As I think allowing Factor 5, if it still existed, to have done a Star Fox title. Or allowing any number of teams to develop a new F-Zero.

Sure, some things have failed, but hey, you gotta take risks. And banking on yet another Mario or Zelda title for the length of this console generation ain't gonna do it.