Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Posts frozen.

  1. #1

    Posts frozen.

    My posts have been stuck at 172 for about two days now. At first I thought posts were going removed, but after posting and not seeing it go up, I know it's not.

  2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    Dr Cone Judicant's Avatar

    Weasyl
    Judicant
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    317
    I believe recently we did some tweaking to how the post counter works. For reference:

    Quote Originally Posted by Taw View Post
    We were looking into this and we have installed a mod that will make posts from here on out that are under 225 characters not bump up post count. Posts over 225 characters do bump up post counts.

    This will hopefully help cut down on low content posting and encourage users who care for post counts and such to try to put more effort into posting on the forums, instead of racing to reply to everything as fast as they can and such.

    [...]

    Disabling the post count in certain sections can be done and already is applied to our Forum Activities section.
    Most of your posts seem very short, so without actually counting how many characters you've posted in them I'd say the bolded reason is why your post count isn't rising.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Judicant View Post
    I believe recently we did some tweaking to how the post counter works. For reference:



    Most of your posts seem very short, so without actually counting how many characters you've posted in them I'd say the bolded reason is why your post count isn't rising.
    It's not rising at all. Long or short.

    I wasn't aware the forum had a character limit on how much counts as a post.

    Side note: The average size of my posts hasn't changed.

  4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
    Cold as Fire Eminoxic's Avatar


    Weasyl
    Eminoxic
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    No where
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinjo View Post
    It's not rising at all. Long or short.

    I wasn't aware the forum had a character limit on how much counts as a post.

    Side note: The average size of my posts hasn't changed.
    I'm looking at all your recent posts and none of them hit the 225 mark. We may lower this depending on how much feedback we get from it. The intention is to just stop users that are post count power leveling. While we do not see post count as something that makes the member, we are trying to avoid feeding them, because then they will continue to make small low content posts. I'm not saying you are, I'm saying that's what some people do.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminoxic View Post
    I'm looking at all your recent posts and none of them hit the 225 mark. We may lower this depending on how much feedback we get from it. The intention is to just stop users that are post count power leveling. While we do not see post count as something that makes the member, we are trying to avoid feeding them, because then they will continue to make small low content posts. I'm not saying you are, I'm saying that's what some people do.
    that's odd. Some of my smaller posts were counted and some were not. Maybe I'm just exaggerating.

    Though I should point out that one of my short posts was removed, I'm unsure why if it wouldn't even count.

  6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6
    [Logic is Erratic] Taw's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Taw
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    821
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinjo View Post
    that's odd. Some of my smaller posts were counted and some were not. Maybe I'm just exaggerating.

    Though I should point out that one of my short posts was removed, I'm unsure why if it wouldn't even count.
    Posts that are under 225 characters before we implemented this onto the forums are not affected by the change. Any posts made after we implemented it are checked to see if it meets the character requirements for a post now though.

  7. #7
    Ah, I still think you can lower it a bit. But that's just me. I shouldn't have to sit here and do what I'm doing right now to elongate a paragraph that doesn't need to be this long in order to meet a post count that I will likely not even meet by the end of it. It's sort of backwards to try and force people to say more than what needs to be said. Especially if something comes under the limit and says all that needs to be said in reply.

  8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #8
    [Logic is Erratic] Taw's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Taw
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    821
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinjo View Post
    Ah, I still think you can lower it a bit. But that's just me. I shouldn't have to sit here and do what I'm doing right now to elongate a paragraph that doesn't need to be this long in order to meet a post count that I will likely not even meet by the end of it. It's sort of backwards to try and force people to say more than what needs to be said. Especially if something comes under the limit and says all that needs to be said in reply.
    You aren't required to make lengthy posts - it's to hopefully cut down on individuals who may post a lot of low content posts or posts with little content for the purpose to raise their post count. We may tweak the number of characters in the future however.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Taw View Post
    You aren't required to make lengthy posts - it's to hopefully cut down on individuals who may post a lot of low content posts or posts with little content for the purpose to raise their post count. We may tweak the number of characters in the future however.
    Well, some one could go their entire forum career making averaging 200 character posts and they'd never have any posts. that's my only reasoning.

  10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10
    [Logic is Erratic] Taw's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Taw
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    821
    I have now lowered the character count from 225 to 150. That's equivalent to the following:

    This is a test sentence of one hundred and fifty characters! That's almost as many characters as there are original Pokemon, but they had one more! :3

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •