Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Weasyl
    Sylvan
    Columbia Heights, Minnesota (about 6 blocks north of Minneapolis)
    That's very good of you, ZeWi! Thank you!

I think the ideal importer would be a program/app that would just load the file and preserve indents, font, font weight, italics, alignment, tables, and other such things, when converting to HTML (for Web display) but also allow for the user to download the original format. Is that the sort of feedback you were looking for?

Yes it is. I have all that listed but the tables broken down our of the format. M$ didn't really offer a whole lot on the "open" format, so reverse engineering is a bit slow on my part due to time. I will be able to work on docx code this weekend.
    Last edited by ZeWi; 01-24-2014 at 02:20 AM. Reason: specifying

Weasyl
    Sylvan
    Columbia Heights, Minnesota (about 6 blocks north of Minneapolis)
    Well, take your time. I only mention it because it is something that's been keeping me from uploading files. That you are doing it, that you are open about it and able to explain things, really is what I like to see. This is a free service and I can be very patient if I know fixes are coming.

Thank you!

Weasyl
    mwalimu
    I was prepared to accept that one of the limitations of .doc, .docx and .rtf files was that they would have to be downloaded and viewed offline (a capability I would want anyway for longer than trivially short literary submissions). If you've been able to make those formats viewable in the browser, that would exceed my expectations! I have to ask, are there existing browser plugins that enable viewing these file formats in a browser window (much as we already do for .pdf files)? If so, be careful that you're not putting too much effort into "reinventing the wheel", so to speak.

However, to follow up on what I think Sylvan was saying (especially if I'm misinterpreting what you're trying to do), I think a sufficiently good solution for the file formats in discussion are that it should be possible for a user to open a submission file of those types in the appropriate browser/editor, cut and paste the contents of the submission into Weasyl, and be able to save it and have it displayable with all or at least most of the formatting intact (fonts, indents, bold, italics, etc.).

Another format to consider supporting is .epub. I haven't used it much myself so i can't say what all the pros and cons of that format are, but it seems to be the format of choice for users who wish to transfer their downloaded files to an e-reader such as a Kindle.

Quote Originally Posted by mwalimu View Post
    Another format to consider supporting is .epub. I haven't used it much myself so i can't say what all the pros and cons of that format are, but it seems to be the format of choice for users who wish to transfer their downloaded files to an e-reader such as a Kindle.
    Actually, epub doesn't work for Kindle, though it does work for most other ereaders, as far as I know (have a Kindle, myself).

As for the rest... *shrug* I post .txt files, and since we can use Markdown for simple formatting, that's good enough for me. My main concern at the moment is that all of a sudden the text lines are stretched all the way across the screen, where they used to be in a narrower window (something rather like the margins of the threads here in the forums), and having them go all the way across is a lot more tiring to read, especially for longer pieces. I've mentioned this in a different thread here in the Site Support forums, but so far haven't gotten an answer on whether this was a deliberate change or an accidental one after the move to Markdown. (Still hoping it's accidental and will go back to the old way eventually...)
    website | blog | FurAffinity | Amazon | Goodreads | Smashwords | Twitter

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by mwalimu View Post
    I was prepared to accept that one of the limitations of .doc, .docx and .rtf files was that they would have to be downloaded and viewed offline...
    this is what we are trying to avoid at all costs. it's exceptionally bad UX. if we're going to start accepting a particular file format, it will be when there's a way to display it nicely in the browser for the user.

Mind the raw setup here.

For adding RTF (Rich Text Format), this is easy. RTF has been around for quite some time and it's format is well documented. I think there's at least one if not more open source RTF to HTML converters (I see one on SourceForge and a separate project on GitHub) that can be brought in or used as a basis for Weasyl. I actually robo-layout my webcomic strips into books through RTF with a Perl module.

For Word DOC and Office OpenDoc (DOCX) format, not so much. DOC is still being reversed engineered to an milimeter of it's life (an inch wasn't good enough) but it's documented enough that even Apple's iOS can read it. DOCX has it's specification published as an ISO standard, but Microsoft breaks it with it's latest versions of Office. Don't believe me? Ask the LibreOffice guys at the Open Document Foundation. They do the ODF format, which is open spec and LibreOffice ether sticks to it or published updates to ODF.

8.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #18
    All,

At this point we have a pretty good idea that RTF parsing may be on the horizon, and that doc/docx (because of its own issues) is likely not at this time.

The feature request for RTF literary submission parsing is at https://redmine.weasyl.com/issues/111 .

If you would like to create an account to watch that issue, please do!

Thanks,