Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Sylvan
    Columbia Heights, Minnesota (about 6 blocks north of Minneapolis)

File Formats: .rtf, .doc, and .docx

Good day,

The biggest impediment to my use of Weasyl is its non-support of .rtf and .docx. When I write my stories for publication, I work in these formats. Formerly, I worked in .doc. Most sites I submit to have a simple, "click here to upload your file and it will be formatted, accordingly" button. However, here we seem only able to use .txt (which loses all formatting) or .pdf (which is not a format I tend to use).

Rather than having to add yet another file format just to post here, is there any work being done to allow imports of .rtf or .docx?

Yes, it would be a tiny matter for me to output yet another file format. But I'm really trying to find one, single, solitary version that I can utilize and, so far, that's been .rtf and .docx. I'd rather not have a third. Requiring PDFs is the key reason I never post on Deviant Art: it's one more thing to do and, frankly, I'm already spread thin trying to cross-post to all these sites. It doesn't seem like much, true, but it gets exhausting.

On a side-note, I would like to try the Google Drive suggestion you have but your instructions don't deal with some questions I would have concerning privacy.

Normally, with Google Drive, you can only make a file public before getting the "embed" link. But, for security reasons, I keep all my files locked down. I do not share those links except by sharing with specific collaborators in my writing circle. And, once they are done, I kill those sharing permissions.

So, my questions about Google Drive are:

1. Is the "embed" link only used for the initial import?
    2. Once I have the document imported, can I kill the sharing link without losing my file, here?
    3. Are my permissions in any way stored on Weasyl once I import something from Google Drive?

Thank you for taking the time to address any of these questions. I'm still trying to navigate my way around these forums and figure out why I cannot edit my avatar or profile. If someone in charge can answer both my question about .rtf/.docx formatted submissions as well as my 3 questions about Google Drive, I would appreciate it.

Yours,
    Sylvan

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    re: google drive, there's no importing done at all; weasyl simply displays the document as an embedded web page inside the weasyl page. so, the only way for the embedded document to display is to have embedding enabled permanently on the document.

also, .txt is a misnomer; it's really Markdown. eventually the page will be updated to say .md instead of .txt. if you write in Markdown, you can use Markdown formatting in your stories. since Markdown is loosely a superset of HTML, you can also upload HTML documents.

Weasyl
    Sylvan
    Thank you for your response.

Since I'm trying to reduce the amount of work I have to do when posting here, do you have a rough ETA on when you will have other file formats supported for text?

Whilst I can't offer a solution to your problem I've found a guide which shows how to batch convert files to PDF using Google Drive if that's any help?

Link

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvan View Post
    Thank you for your response.

Since I'm trying to reduce the amount of work I have to do when posting here, do you have a rough ETA on when you will have other file formats supported for text?
    no.

Weasyl
    Sylvan
    Thank you, Nightpaws. I do know how to do PDFs but it's just another format and one more step as it is. I do appreciate your offer of assistance, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvan View Post
    Thank you, Nightpaws. I do know how to do PDFs but it's just another format and one more step as it is. I do appreciate your offer of assistance, though.
    No worries, Sorry I couldn't be of any more help!

Weasyl
    Sylvan
    That's okay. Hopefully, one day, they'll support more text file types and I'll be able to post, here, as well as I do on other sites without creating more effort.

Weasyl
    mwalimu
    I concur with Sylvan. Support for additional literary submission types is by far my most wanted feature for Weasyl.

Hm, I'm [not exactly officially] am working on said abilities. I have the .docx format broken down and working on .rtf breakdown. "Plug-in" style coding will be done after complete breakdown of those two and I'll submit them to @weasyldev. I'll be working on the .doc format last, since it's purely binary and a bit harder to read and convert using php. I would like to find out what all you would need in the importer as I could possibly stream line those OOXML features first, then add the lesser used ones later.