Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

War Horse - Looking for Crit

Last edited by Sammacha; 01-21-2014 at 07:18 PM. Reason: added a link to the full Description

This is absolutely stunning, if you ask me. I looked for the typical pitfalls that usually can be improved upon, but this is just gorgeous. I'd really like to see you develop this piece further with a background and depth, as it comes off as just a tad flat. The piece definitely could benefit with some shadows underneath the horse, if you don't intend on doing a background. As of right now, it's full of vibrant colors and pleasing textures, which I always love.

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    This is absolutely stunning, if you ask me. I looked for the typical pitfalls that usually can be improved upon, but this is just gorgeous. I'd really like to see you develop this piece further with a background and depth, as it comes off as just a tad flat. The piece definitely could benefit with some shadows underneath the horse, if you don't intend on doing a background. As of right now, it's full of vibrant colors and pleasing textures, which I always love.

Hi Rory, thanks so much for your input. I agree that it does seem a bit flat in spots and it would have benefited having a shadow placed underneath it, great idea. I will be sure to do this in the future
    As of now I am not sure If my new image will have a background, and I Don't intend to add to this piece one to this piece in particular. Originally It was done for a contest on DA. You were supposed to draw a horse relating to your cultural background, that being said I opted not to have a background and to simply show the horse itself.
    Anyways to me, I chose to finish it and finished it will stay. I would love to do a new war horse for Chinese New years, so rather then mess around with this one (otherwise it will never stop) I would love to learn from it.
    I hope that my next one can be even more stunning

Quote Originally Posted by Sammacha View Post
    Hi Rory, thanks so much for your input. I agree that it does seem a bit flat in spots and it would have benefited having a shadow placed underneath it, great idea. I will be sure to do this in the future
    As of now I am not sure If my new image will have a background, and I Don't intend to add to this piece one to this piece in particular. Originally It was done for a contest on DA. You were supposed to draw a horse relating to your cultural background, that being said I opted not to have a background and to simply show the horse itself.
    Anyways to me, I chose to finish it and finished it will stay. I would love to do a new war horse for Chinese New years, so rather then mess around with this one (otherwise it will never stop) I would love to learn from it.
    I hope that my next one can be even more stunning
    That makes perfect sense to leave this piece as is, and to improve upon the next. While it wasn't a groundbreaking suggestion on my part, I'm glad I could help out. Also, when I say background, I should mention that I mean more of creative, abstract ones that involve texture, gradients, or just a series of rough brush strokes, just to add a little extra depth and character to the piece. I'll let more expert artists weigh in here, but I'll keep an eye out for your future work. Good luck!

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    The concept is really nice. I like what you put into the horse. Right now I can see that you need to develop a good light source to make this more interesting. There are some anatomy problems I am seeing, as well. Specially in the bulk of the legs.

If I may I could offer a paint over to express some of the ideas I am seeing in your illustration?

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    That makes perfect sense to leave this piece as is, and to improve upon the next. While it wasn't a groundbreaking suggestion on my part, I'm glad I could help out. Also, when I say background, I should mention that I mean more of creative, abstract ones that involve texture, gradients, or just a series of rough brush strokes, just to add a little extra depth and character to the piece. I'll let more expert artists weigh in here, but I'll keep an eye out for your future work. Good luck!

Ah ok, your just talking about some kind of shapes and what not to add interest, I do this sometimes but sometimes I dont even think about it., good suggestion thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    The concept is really nice. I like what you put into the horse. Right now I can see that you need to develop a good light source to make this more interesting. There are some anatomy problems I am seeing, as well. Specially in the bulk of the legs.

If I may I could offer a paint over to express some of the ideas I am seeing in your illustration?
    Ah yes, I am sure there are some lighting errors, and anatomy ones as well. I think horses still remain one of these "hard to draw" subjects so advice on that would be great.

If you feel like and have time to red line (or however you so choose) my picture I would appreciate it. Thanks.
    Last edited by Sammacha; 01-21-2014 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Add another quote, forgot how to add multiples sigh

looks good! horses are awful to draw haha

and I agree with the comments above--some simple things to suggest depth like adding a cast shadow or maybe having the legs in the background fade out slightly would give the illusion of the horse occupying space? But I think the main reason the horse doesn't stand out is because the red background is practically the same value as the subject so you could try experimenting with darkening or lightening the background

Also the multiple signatures are very distracting. all the added text is creating a lot of unnecessary clutter. Your drawing is the important thing and you want all the focus to be on the drawing, not on the space around it--it's important to be conscious about your negative space

Weasyl
    Bark
    Do you have a particular breed you were referencing for this? I'd like to do a redline for my over all comment if you don't mind c:

A quick tip that has helped me a lot on the past: The length of the head will (usually) match the length of the bottom neck line. The head on this piece looks a tad small, but its pretty good and I believe you should definitely be proud of it. :3

Quote Originally Posted by macks View Post
    looks good! horses are awful to draw haha

and I agree with the comments above--some simple things to suggest depth like adding a cast shadow or maybe having the legs in the background fade out slightly would give the illusion of the horse occupying space? But I think the main reason the horse doesn't stand out is because the red background is practically the same value as the subject so you could try experimenting with darkening or lightening the background

Also the multiple signatures are very distracting. all the added text is creating a lot of unnecessary clutter. Your drawing is the important thing and you want all the focus to be on the drawing, not on the space around it--it's important to be conscious about your negative space

Thanks for the comment. I will try to use a different red next time/ color value. A shadow as stated before would look good, but that will have to wait until next time

Also I'm a bit surprised you can see the watermark over the image, its hardly visible on my screen (actually have to look quite hard to see it on certain modes, but it is visible on other modes of my screen settings), so thanks for letting me know that's its highly visible to you as I was not aware of it. Nor had I really thought about it considering everyone's monitors are set up differently. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Bark View Post
    Do you have a particular breed you were referencing for this? I'd like to do a redline for my over all comment if you don't mind c:
    Yes, when I looked into the history of Chinese war horses I found the breed they used was the Fernanda or better known as Ferghana horse breed. ( I do not know much about horse breeds, so I am assuming that this is the same horse, or a very close cousin. I didnt find much of a difference when I originally looked them up, however I didnt spend an eon doing research either).
    If you are interested, I do have a better description written here on my DA if you are interested
    http://sammacha.deviantart.com/art/C...aiyu-299398596
    If you have the time to do a quick Red line drawing to show me something I can improve I would appreciate it, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by RottenBite View Post
    A quick tip that has helped me a lot on the past: The length of the head will (usually) match the length of the bottom neck line. The head on this piece looks a tad small, but its pretty good and I believe you should definitely be proud of it. :3
    Thanks, I have never been told a tip like that, surely it will help in the future. I would not be surprised if its a bit small, I'm always tryign to make sure I dont make them too big ha ha
    Last edited by Sammacha; 01-21-2014 at 07:16 PM.