Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Trading Post?

Weasyl
    jonas

Trading Post?

Hi. I thought of a way to potentially drum up more interest/activity in Weasyl. There was this old tradition from Yerf, later carried on by ArtSpots, called the Trading Post. I'll try to explain it as well as I can remember it.

At the start of every week, a "prompt" would be picked -- a specific character, a creatively challenging concept, a general theme (e.g. a holiday), or whatever, as long as it left room for artists to create diverse interpretations. Given the galleries it was held on, the Trading Post was strictly clean art only.

Artists had the whole week to come up with and post their submissions for the prompt. Submissions were posted within the Trading Post thread, although artists were also free to post the submissions to their own galleries (even their own galleries on other sites, hint hint). Submissions could be anywhere from a simple sketch to a fully rendered picture. Near the end of the week, the Trading Post moderator would close submissions and post a poll, and everyone (artists and non-artists alike) would vote on which entry they liked the best. Voting would last for two days. Once the poll was closed and the winner determined, that winner would get to pick next week's prompt, and so on and so on.

http://artspots.deviantart.com/journ...ules-273979994

This would require polling functionality (which I'm not sure the Weasyl forums have), as well as patient moderation and artists actively participating and coming back here to check, but I think it could be fun to bring it back. I imagine it'd fit well in the Art Section of the forums.

What do you all think? If need be, I'd volunteer to step up and handle moderation duties on the Trading Post myself.
    Last edited by jonas; 01-21-2014 at 02:05 AM.

I think it's a really fun idea, especially so because it can be applicable across several platforms, like written works and music as well.

Weasyl
    autogatos
    Gosh I miss Trading Posts! Those were so much fun. I'd love to see one here!

I think this sounds like a fantastic idea!

Another vote of support. This sounds pretty cool c:

I like this idea, Jonas- I might actually be down for this one- especially if the prompt is "Renamon" every week. I'll keep an eye on this thread, and see how it develops. Good thinking!

Weasyl
    TealMoon
    Don't know how well it would work but it sounds interesting.

That's an awesome idea

Weasyl
    Spixpanda
    I would definitely be up for this. I think having something to fall back on to feed me ideas is really fun, and gets the creativity in me flowin'. I'm in, 100%.

Weasyl
    Littlerock
    I think that this sounds like good fun! Count my vote in : >