Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    for traditional i like ink acrylics and watercolors

and for digital photoshop or sai i like them bout the same
    tmblr - fa - da

I just use a wacom bamboo, it seems to do the job quite well....w/ sai, cause its awesome....for traditional I use chartpak markers, gelpens, and fineliners

Weasyl
    marzipan
    Digital: old bamboo fun tablet, MyPaint and GIMP. Sometimes SAI if I feel like going into windows :I

Traditional: Colored pencillllllsss <3 my favorites are the Faber-Castell Polychromos. Expensive, but they're oil-based so you can use turpenoid to 'paint' with them. I'm also trying to work with watercolors more... I like Staedler ink pens and lead holders, and Faber-Castell dust-free erasers. Nothing better!

Weasyl
    Olven
    Hmm, let's see... favorite art tools?
    I've tried too many traditional media and also working with tablet. But I've always returned to graphite pencils, watercolors and colored pencils. My most favorite are Schmincke Horadam, followed by White Nights, I use the pan versions (never got used to a paint in tubes, they're like gouache or tempera and I don't like that). I really love how versatile watercolors are and how you can play with incredible amount of effects (salt, alcohol, ox gall, granulation mediums etc.).
    Faber Castell Polychromos and Lyra Rembrandt are my most favorite brands of colored pencils, especially because they're soft and oil based. I also like Prismacolors (I bought a 120 set years ago on Ebay) but since not all the colors are lightfast (and many of them have broken lead inside), I usually use them for smaller works with Copic markers.
    I also have a set of Talens Ecoline watersoluble inks, which are wonderfully brilliant, I love to work with them.
    "Life is like a box of chocolates." :: Olven at Weasyl :: Olven at DeviantArt :: Olven at FurAffinity

My trusty Wacom tablet/Corel Painter 11 combination.

Weasyl
    Pathea
    My favorite tools are my tablets (Wacom Intuos3 and Bamboo Pen)

Weasyl
    WhiteFox1618
    For a sketchbook, I use 9x12" Canson Universal-Sketch. I don't know what they do to the paper but ink lines don't bleed at all, which I really like. You can't put down too much ink or it'll ripple, but for line art it's perfect. It has a little tooth, too, which is nice for drawing.

When I'm doing anything nice... comic pages, or more finished looking drawings... I use Canson Artists Series Bristol. It's a nice compromise between quality and cost.

I draw with a Staedtler Mars technico 780... Plus the lead pointer, it has all the advantages of wooden and mechanical pencils. When sketching, I use HB or 2B. For comic art, I draw lightly with an H2 lead.

For inking, I mainly use dip pens and india ink. I prefer Higgins brand ink, because the bottles come with an eyedropper cap (some Winsor-Newton bottles also come with them, but they're too fat and round at the tip to load my nibs.

For nibs, I use a Hunt-107 Hawkquill for the bulk of my lineart. For varying line weight and very fine hatchin, I'll use a Hunt-102 crowquill. I've also got a Hunt-104 mapping nib for extremely fine hatching and I recently picked up a Hunt-22B for heavier lines. I've been practicing lettering for a while, with a Hunt-512EF Globe Point nib, but I'm not very good at it.

Lately, I've been using charcoal, or 5.6mm nero/negro lead, to add shading and rendering to an ink drawing. I have no clue what I'm doing, but I like how things are going so far.

Digitally, I use Photoshop CS4 and an intuos4 (medium) waccom tablet for cleaning up and colouring lineart.

I picked up the airbrush stylus, which replaces one of the pen buttons with a scroll wheel. The interesting thing is that it doesn't work like a mouse wheel or a scroll strip... those require a pair of plus/minus keystrokes: zoom in/out, increase/decrease brush size, etc. The wheel on the airbrush stylus is actually more like a slider that goes from min to max, and you can attach anything to it that you can control with pen pressure. I usually have opacity or flow on the wheel, and brush size on pressure. It's really convenient, and I love using it, but I'm not sure it's was worth the 120$ price tag.

I have an A3-size Mustek flatbed scanner, it's gargantuan. The software is clumsy and the hardware feels cheap in general, but an 11x16.5 inch working area is luxurious. I don't mind the software, since I usually crop and adjust in Photoshop. Only complaint: if the paper is even remotely off the tray, the scan will be out of focus. Not usually a problem, except when my sketchbook paper ripples from too much ink.

As a portable set of gear, I have my Compaq CQ10-Mini, an old 4x5 inch graphire2 tablet, and a copy of GIMP. I spend a lot of time in fast-food joints, sitting and drawing, and I use my netbook to carry around my library of ref. images and comic scripts. Sometimes, I need to mock up a comic page to figure out how much space the dialog will take. I've used it to do a fair number of redlines, too.
    Last edited by WhiteFox1618; 02-20-2013 at 04:00 PM.