Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Methods of Travel

  1. #11
    Senior Ratte's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Ratte
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Minot, North Dakota
    Gender
    lol
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    There's a lot of both Minnesota and Texas related people on this forum, it seems. That's pretty awesome. Took a lot of road trips based from Minnesota when I grew up there as a kid (along with the like, 6 other states I lived in lol), so I can relate on this.
    Yeah I feel a lot less alone/isolated on here, at least for the three months when I'm actually home. I'm in North Dakota for the school year for the next two years, though. I miss being home.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlissfulOblivion View Post
    :C I'm sorry. I come from rich famiry. But hey! Air travel isn't the only way! And it is potentially more fun and/or rewarding to drive or something! <:
    I like being able to actually see things on ground level when traveling. When I went through the Tennesee Appalachians, and it was a really eerie, foggy morning, I don't think that sort of splendor could have been as appreciated as if I had took a plane. The flowery trees in southern Illinois urban and suburban areas, the hella flooding in rural Kentucky, the Tennesee Appalachians and big cities like Chattanooga and Nashville, the plains of Georgia and the chaos of Atlanta, and the really fucking random rain in Florida...I don't think I would have gotten as much out of that through a plane trip as I would have being in it and experiencing it myself.

  2. #12
    Senior BlissfulOblivion's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Droughtland, USA
    Gender
    Ufufufufu...
    Posts
    1,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratte View Post
    I like being able to actually see things on ground level when traveling. When I went through the Tennesee Appalachians, and it was a really eerie, foggy morning, I don't think that sort of splendor could have been as appreciated as if I had took a plane. The flowery trees in southern Illinois urban and suburban areas, the hella flooding in rural Kentucky, the Tennesee Appalachians and big cities like Chattanooga and Nashville, the plains of Georgia and the chaos of Atlanta, and the really fucking random rain in Florida...I don't think I would have gotten as much out of that through a plane trip as I would have being in it and experiencing it myself.
    Yeah. I don't do much road traveling but when I do it's usually just through endless miles of desert, monotonous ocean scenery, or car-sick-inducing winding mountainy roads. :s But we do go see some forests along the way <: I like the forests.

  3. #13
    Senior Ratte's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Ratte
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Minot, North Dakota
    Gender
    lol
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissfulOblivion View Post
    Yeah. I don't do much road traveling but when I do it's usually just through endless miles of desert, monotonous ocean scenery, or car-sick-inducing winding mountainy roads. :s But we do go see some forests along the way <: I like the forests.
    One of my favorite trips was from Kasson to a little north of Grand Rapids, MN. I love the central part of Minnesota, but I can't really describe why. Later on, getting into a huge coniferous forest and camping out in the middle of it was great. While it's nice to see things from above, there are certain things planes just can't do.

    Plus it would be silly to take a plane for that short of a distance. :y

  4. #14
    Senior sassySloth's Avatar
    Weasyl
    sassySloth
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    MA USA
    Posts
    465
    I love to ride my bike (bicycle, not motorcycle). I live in the city so biking is honestly way more convenient than driving. Bike to work, bike to my friends place, bike to places I've never been before.

    Subways are alright, but old fashioned above-ground trains are really really cool.
    Watch me swooce right in.

  5.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #15
    Retired Staff Frank LeRenard's Avatar
    Weasyl
    MLR
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Land of the Finns
    Posts
    439
    My experiences couldn't really top what you did in Trinidad and Tobago, but I have done an awful lot of traveling in my life. Maybe the most interesting was in Morocco, where all the taxi drivers grab your luggage and sling it into a vague basket on top of the car, then proceed to blast through insane traffic like they were being chased by 16 police cars until your destination. Took a long bus ride there, too. The seats were incredibly cramped and stiff, and it would stop on every farm and tiny village along the way (this was from Marrakesh to Essaouira). At a few stops, these old men in camel robes would step on the bus, recite something (probably from the Quran), and then walk through the bus collecting donations (most people would give them). At one of the stops a fist-fight broke out; a little crowd was gathered around as some guy was yelling at the bus driver, and I guess the driver's response must have pissed him off because he punched the driver in the face before the crowd managed to drag him away.
    Third world countries are always the most interesting.

    Anyone who's ridden on the subway: is it just me, or does every subway on the planet have the exact same smell? It's hard to describe, but it's sort of oily, with strong touches of urine, mixed a bit with that pink liquid toilet cleaner stuff. Every one I've been in, from Paris to Glasgow to Chicago, smells like that.

  6. #16
    Solifugid Onnes's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Onnes
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank LeRenard View Post
    Anyone who's ridden on the subway: is it just me, or does every subway on the planet have the exact same smell? It's hard to describe, but it's sort of oily, with strong touches of urine, mixed a bit with that pink liquid toilet cleaner stuff. Every one I've been in, from Paris to Glasgow to Chicago, smells like that.
    Because subways double as fully furnished, heated apartments for the very poor and the drunk.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank LeRenard View Post
    My experiences couldn't really top what you did in Trinidad and Tobago, but I have done an awful lot of traveling in my life. Maybe the most interesting was in Morocco, where all the taxi drivers grab your luggage and sling it into a vague basket on top of the car, then proceed to blast through insane traffic like they were being chased by 16 police cars until your destination. Took a long bus ride there, too. The seats were incredibly cramped and stiff, and it would stop on every farm and tiny village along the way (this was from Marrakesh to Essaouira). At a few stops, these old men in camel robes would step on the bus, recite something (probably from the Quran), and then walk through the bus collecting donations (most people would give them). At one of the stops a fist-fight broke out; a little crowd was gathered around as some guy was yelling at the bus driver, and I guess the driver's response must have pissed him off because he punched the driver in the face before the crowd managed to drag him away.
    Third world countries are always the most interesting.

    Anyone who's ridden on the subway: is it just me, or does every subway on the planet have the exact same smell? It's hard to describe, but it's sort of oily, with strong touches of urine, mixed a bit with that pink liquid toilet cleaner stuff. Every one I've been in, from Paris to Glasgow to Chicago, smells like that.
    I don't know, that sounds just as intense as the Maxi Taxis, just in a different part of the world. I'd at least say they're equal experiences! Reminds me that I was sooo close to getting to go to Morocco because I was in southern Spain, but I digress. If someone's never been to a third world country and had to use local transportation, they haven't lived life yet, haha. Thanks for sharing your experience.

    Most of them, yes; NYC and DC's reeked especially. The green line in Boston doesn't really, because over half of it is above ground before it goes under for downtown, so it gets aired out a bunch.

  8. #18
    Senior RainWizard's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Rain-Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    111
    I go everywhere strapped into a 2.5l turbocharged Ford Focus ST. Busses are slow, trains are cramped, give me 225 horses any day.

    I'd love to take a car across Europe, but somehow doubt I'll ever get the time....
    "Disciple of the cross and champion in the suffering, immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption. Harden your mind through the chains of the divine; Make way for the shepherd of fire"

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by RainWizard View Post
    I go everywhere strapped into a 2.5l turbocharged Ford Focus ST. Busses are slow, trains are cramped, give me 225 horses any day.

    I'd love to take a car across Europe, but somehow doubt I'll ever get the time....
    From everything I've heard and read, I suppose train travel is far more frequent over in the UK and Europe in general than it is in the United States. I've always found my train trips in the US to be pleasant, although riding on the LIRR outside New York City was pretty cramped at rush hour, like most places I guess. If I took it during slow times, it was pretty chill. Are trains across the pond that much busier, you think?

  10. #20
    Senior Brace's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Brace
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    142
    I love my motorcycle. I will never give up biking. Hopefully one day I will be able to afford something I can tour and, and something sporty, but even just my 250cc commuter bike is something I love dearly.

    I also enjoy Amtrak. I hate Greyhound though (although some other regional bus services are decent). RTD in Denver is good. Public transit in Cleveland and Portland are bad. Dunno what else to say. I miss owning a car but only because of winter.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •