Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    saccharine

what got you into the furry fandom?

We all had that introduction, where we went to some website, forum, game, or chat room and learned about the furry fandom for the first time, and then it all went uphill (or downhill, depending on your perspective). I'd also like to know when you got into it, to see how we span across time as a whole. Besides, you know you're curious on the origins of everyone here.

As for me, I was introduced to it on a forum now called In Dire Straits either late 2008 or early 2009.

How about all of you?
    [insert cool image here]

Weasyl
    Hewge
    Smut.

Weasyl
    Sarukai
    Basically I started out with the lion king fandom when i was very young and the internet was first be inning a thing. The Lion King Fandom I lived for it was all about the taking animals that do human like qualities. We Ebbed up finding out about an IRC channel dedicated to the site, which lead from fellow users to Furry IRCs (not the finest introduction to the fandom).

Past the IRC Chats further down the line in my teens I discovered 4chan and inevitably the adult side of the fandom. They linked to a lot of FurAffinity links and they pointed me to the site as the home of the fandom. I signed up to there and the forums at the same time ending up Becoming quite a regular on FAF.

Then hearing from Fay on FAF of the site weasyl she is part of working with. I was curious to check it out. Joining the forums and the site initially as place-holding. Now as things developed (not going into detail) I have stress starred to find here a better place.

That's my story.

For me, it was In Dire Straits back when it was called the Blackblood Alliance and on proboards. 2005. Then I started joining art sites and the rest is pretty much history.
    deviantart nabyn furaffinity
    .icon by teaparties.

For me, in like late 1997, I managed to find about this stuff called the "Transformation Story Archive". In 1998, I started writing TF-stories after reading some stuff on the TSA (making me perhaps the youngest TF writer out there... excluding the victims of AR. ) but general shyness of thinking everyone would say "omg wtf who let the kid in here?" [I was 9 years old at the time.] and lack of knowledge of how these things WORKED lead to me not sending any in. So it wasn't until I was like... 14 that I started contributing to the TF community.

Naturally that lead to furries, since I would see people talking about an interest in TF&F.

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6

Weasyl
    Matt
    Moving this into Lifestyle and Hobbies due to lifestyles and hobbies.
    Look at all the fun we're having.

Weasyl
    autogatos
    I don't actually consider myself a furry, but I've always enjoyed drawing cartoon animals (thanks to being raised on a steady diet of Disney and Don Bluth films), and the furry fandom creates and enjoys cartoon animal art, so I find myself floating around the edges of various fandom locales on the net (webcomics/art galleries/etc). I don't actually remember how I first discovered it. Yerf maybe? My friend Claire (shoomlah) had a Yerf archive back when we were in high school and I was like, "Oh, yay, lots of animal artists! Fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sarukai View Post
    Basically I started out with the lion king fandom when i was very young and the internet was first be inning a thing. The Lion King Fandom I lived for it was all about the taking animals that do human like qualities. We Ebbed up finding out about an IRC channel dedicated to the site, which lead from fellow users to Furry IRCs (not the finest introduction to the fandom).
    TLK fandom veterans woo! That was probably my first internet fandom. My TLKFAA archive (SpiritWolf77) is still up and full of embarrassing ancient art.

Weasyl
    chocomage
    My parents. In all honesty I got into the fandom because of fursuiting and I wouldn't have done that if I want forced to volunteer for a hospital. I had volunteered to dress as a costumed character and I chose the full body Sylvester the cat suit. It was probably the most fun I had ever done volunteering. I didn't know it was part of the furry fandom until recently.

Weasyl
    Pine
    Star Fox

Yes, I know it's a generic answer...

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine View Post
    Star Fox

Yes, I know it's a generic answer...
    If it's not because of Falco-san or Wolf-tan then I will give you a generic slap for picking Krystal-bish or Foxu-kun.

Lots of games and exposure but the one that really makes me consider myself a furry/scaly/kemo-kun/lizard is Soul Calibur 4 Lizzy (do not mention SC5 and that special snowflake angel lizard).

I don't get why either. My first 4-5 months of playing it before I quit was like "AMY-CHAN SO MOEEEE.GOTHIC LOLI FTW". Then I come back and was like "LIZZY-CHAN SO MOEEE" without any real further exposure to the fandom. The only real logical scientific explation is that

It's the red thread of fate and love that got me into the fandom.