Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    DESTROYER OF WORLDS Uini's Avatar
    Weasyl
    StudioTRUE
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The Groan Zone
    Posts
    142

    General Critique Thread

    I think it might be useful to possibly have a general critique thread. Post any quick fixes you need for art pieces you're working on. I'll try to offer as much help as possible. =)

    Everyone else is more than free to help as well!
    Last edited by Uini; 08-05-2012 at 10:47 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Theresa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    50
    Help wanted on this!

    I'm trying to paint this gal's skin and it all seems kinda off to me. Keep in mind this is still a work in progress, but I'm not really so sure what to do next. Also, I want her to look like she's got her hands gently resting on her collarbone, instead of looking like she has nothing below the elbows. Any idea what I should do?

    (The white spots on her back are going to be eyes; she's a character from the show Motorcity who grew extra eyes as a result of mutation.)

    (Shhh this isn't fan art for a kids' cartoon what are you even talking about)

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
    Help wanted on this!

    I'm trying to paint this gal's skin and it all seems kinda off to me. Keep in mind this is still a work in progress, but I'm not really so sure what to do next. Also, I want her to look like she's got her hands gently resting on her collarbone, instead of looking like she has nothing below the elbows. Any idea what I should do?

    (The white spots on her back are going to be eyes; she's a character from the show Motorcity who grew extra eyes as a result of mutation.)

    (Shhh this isn't fan art for a kids' cartoon what are you even talking about)
    Show part of the forarm peeking out from under the arm slanting up from the elbow, that's all I can think of, the rest is a little above my skill level.

    I'm working on this doodle, currently:
    http://i.imgur.com/8O27P.png
    http://i.imgur.com/lOv04.png

    I'm trying to overhaul my fursona - again - and this is one pose. While I consider it mostly finished, her wings confuse me. They're supposed to be rainbow-colored, but getting them to look feathery and rainbow-colored doesn't seem possible, especially considering real wings don't have room for 7 colors of feathers on them.
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

  4. #4
    Regular Theresa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazekai View Post
    Show part of the forarm peeking out from under the arm slanting up from the elbow, that's all I can think of, the rest is a little above my skill level.

    I'm working on this doodle, currently:
    http://i.imgur.com/8O27P.png
    http://i.imgur.com/lOv04.png

    I'm trying to overhaul my fursona - again - and this is one pose. While I consider it mostly finished, her wings confuse me. They're supposed to be rainbow-colored, but getting them to look feathery and rainbow-colored doesn't seem possible, especially considering real wings don't have room for 7 colors of feathers on them.
    The best thing I can think to do is to just use two complementary colors with a color in between the two, like yellow, green, and purple. If you have them fade into each other, it'll be a nice way to suggest a spectrum without having to utilize seven or more hues.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
    The best thing I can think to do is to just use two complementary colors with a color in between the two, like yellow, green, and purple. If you have them fade into each other, it'll be a nice way to suggest a spectrum without having to utilize seven or more hues.
    Yeah, I tried that, it just made her look like she only had three colors. It's kind of important for her to have wings that look like they're every color. I tried narrowing it down to four colors and I think I'm getting somewhere, will post progress later.

    Edit: http://i.imgur.com/JAjNR.png Changed a lot of things. I am pretty satisfied with her overall design now, but would still like feedback if possible.
    Last edited by Kazekai; 08-07-2012 at 01:10 AM.
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

  6. #6
    DESTROYER OF WORLDS Uini's Avatar
    Weasyl
    StudioTRUE
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The Groan Zone
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazekai View Post
    Yeah, I tried that, it just made her look like she only had three colors. It's kind of important for her to have wings that look like they're every color. I tried narrowing it down to four colors and I think I'm getting somewhere, will post progress later.

    Edit: http://i.imgur.com/JAjNR.png Changed a lot of things. I am pretty satisfied with her overall design now, but would still like feedback if possible.
    I think intensifying some of the shading on her scarf to match the light direction would help. It's actually a really nicely done pic. =) There's nothing too out of place I see here.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
    Help wanted on this!

    I'm trying to paint this gal's skin and it all seems kinda off to me. Keep in mind this is still a work in progress, but I'm not really so sure what to do next. Also, I want her to look like she's got her hands gently resting on her collarbone, instead of looking like she has nothing below the elbows. Any idea what I should do?

    (The white spots on her back are going to be eyes; she's a character from the show Motorcity who grew extra eyes as a result of mutation.)

    (Shhh this isn't fan art for a kids' cartoon what are you even talking about)
    Hmm, I'm not too good with painting details, seeing that I'm still learning myself. I think defining a little more of her muscle and bone structure with the lights and shadows would bring her form out. Also the light direction seems to be coming from 2 places, make the shadow on her hair match with the shadow on her body. =)

  7. #7
    Alien Cat of Doom Taelune's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Taelune
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nevada, USA
    Posts
    115
    http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/...iswordance.png

    I need a little help with Arm placement please? He's gonna be holding a pole-arm, red-lines are greatly appreciated!

    I'm sorry about sketchyness...


    Current Avatar created by Me using Catlike Icon Maker
    Art Status: Uninspired

  8. #8
    So, I fixed the shading on my big sheet where I drew that last image but I haven't fixed it on the separate image because that's a little too much work to copypaste it. :V Anyway, I'm going to ink the whole bunch of drawings when I'm done and I'll just upload those.

    Right now, I'm working on the top area. (Ignore that slouching one, I know it's awful, I'm keeping it there so I can redraw it.) http://i.imgur.com/s9ppl.jpg Her ears look odd to me when she's standing to the side, but I'm not sure why...
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

  9. #9
    Alien Cat of Doom Taelune's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Taelune
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nevada, USA
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazekai View Post
    So, I fixed the shading on my big sheet where I drew that last image but I haven't fixed it on the separate image because that's a little too much work to copypaste it. :V Anyway, I'm going to ink the whole bunch of drawings when I'm done and I'll just upload those.

    Right now, I'm working on the top area. (Ignore that slouching one, I know it's awful, I'm keeping it there so I can redraw it.) http://i.imgur.com/s9ppl.jpg Her ears look odd to me when she's standing to the side, but I'm not sure why...
    You're link doesn't work. D:


    Current Avatar created by Me using Catlike Icon Maker
    Art Status: Uninspired

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Desirahe View Post
    You're link doesn't work. D:
    My fault. http://i.imgur.com/0jYgU.jpg

    One to the far right looks off to me.
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •