Poll: Would you be interested in a ref sheet?

Weasyl
    Luxie

Interest Check?[Other critique and tips welcome]

Hello! Yesterday I was drawing and I've come up with a base for references. I know I'm not the only one that hates making them, and so I was wondering if anyone would have interest in them, even if a base is used.

http://imageshack.com/a/img36/8089/fyho.png
    This is the base by default. It has no face, or other features. All features will be drawn in. Depending on species, other things such as the feet, ears, and tails can be added.
    http://imageshack.com/a/img826/4217/5z61.png
    Here, I've begun working on a personal character. The feet have been changed, face added, head altered, and a tail added. Just showing this to show how things will be edited. Will be coloring it soon.

If anyone has interest in something like this, what would you pay? I would add a color palette and include the hex codes if that was wanted. I would also probably include a couple 'extras' for free, and charge for additional ones. (Extras would include headshots, an outfit, and things like that.]

In general, the front pose turned out better than the back one, imo. If anyone would like to share some tips and critique, that'd be nice.

I've also noticed the lines are very sharp. I use paint tool sai. Some brush settings others use for lines that aren't so harsh, but not too soft, and still are smooth with pressure changes would be nice.

I apologize if this is not the correct place to but IC's, but it seemed like the best bet.

I'm not an artist, but my main concern with what you're attempting to use as a base is it's very particular to a certain kind of personality. You're limiting customers! A base should be more neutral in stance, from what I've seen of reference sheets that I think do the job well. I haven't really browsed much on Weasyl so I don't have examples on hand, but a natural standing pose might let you have a wider target audience. Some will have their arms spread out like airplane wings, others will just keep them at the sides. I have no qualms with quality, just that. Hope that helps even a little bit.

Weasyl
    willy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    I'm not an artist, but my main concern with what you're attempting to use as a base is it's very particular to a certain kind of personality.
    ^This.

Additionally unless you planned on making another one, this one's gender specific so the only people who'd be able to actually use it without it looking strange are people with female characters or people with male characters that have effeminate shapes.

Weasyl
    Luxie
    I was planning on making one for guys eventually as well, and with the arms, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to change and have a few options for that as well, including down at the side.

With that in mind, do you think there would be any interest?

Thanks for the help btw. :3

I would still encourage a more neutral pose, even for the women. I know two of my female friends' characters wouldn't be caught dead posing like that as they are tougher and more masculine. I would wager that you would definitely find interest at the right price point, but to give you any true sense of a price range, I'd need to see a more complete reference. I've seen experimental reference sheets go anywhere from $5 to $30 depending on how in-demand the artist is and the details.

I agree with both willow and Rory. I feel these are far to limiting to do much with, especially customized characters.

Weasyl
    Renezuo
    What might be useful for you is to put together a "set" of blank poses for your template. If you're really in to making use of interesting fluid poses for your templates, provide a couple for people to choose from. You could go real general with it like "Strong female, shy female, brainy female" or some other such thing and then provide previews of those for possible customers to choose from. The same would go for the males. This will generate more work on the front end of the process but will end up creating more versatility and possible customer interest in the long run. People like options, but not TOO many, so try and keep it as to the point as possible.

If you're really set on sticking with one however, I would pick a pose that is more neutral but not boring. The best way to do this would be to look up some images that use the Contrapposto pose and work from there. It's a nice simple way of showing a character and some curves without showing too much in the way of personality that may not fit everyone.

Weasyl
    TealMoon
    One problem with the pose it that it can hide details.