Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Weasyl
    MLR

New Mars rover Curiosity is touching down later tonight

So at about 1:30 AM EST, the Mars rover Curiosity (formerly the Mars Science Laboratory) will be touching down in the Gale crater on Mars. It's got a different kind of power source than the standard solar panels (the thing is apparently about as big as a Mini Cooper, which makes it the biggest rover yet), and the engineers are saying this will make it good for about 15 years' worth of exploration on the Red Planet. It's going to be doing all sorts of things, including, of course, a much more thorough and detailed search for signs of past or present life. In short, it's the most kickass rover that's ever been launched.
    If you're interested in where to get more info or where to actually watch the touchdown (because we can do that kind of thing now on this weird invention called 'the Internet'), here's a nice post with a list of such places: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ba...here-to-watch/
    Happy hunting, Curiosity.

Weasyl
    Tiger
    Oh wow, awesome post! I wasn't aware they're sending a new rover. I hope it's a fruitful journey. Definitely gonna have to keep up with it.

That 14-minute wait between the actual landing and finding out if it got down safely has gotta be nerve wracking for the engineers. >.< Best of luck to them.

I want to watch the live podcast, but I've got work tomorrow. D: The astronomy nerd in me weeps.

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
    Weasyl
    Aden
    Really have wanted to catch this live for a while, but I have a crazy day tomorrow. I'll catch the highlights, I guess.

6.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #6
    Weasyl
    Taw
    I was quite excited about this. Lot of people I know keep commenting about the black and white photos and such - for those who don't know, they have colour cameras, the photos received in black and white were from the haphazard cameras if I remember correctly, which are black and white.

Quote Originally Posted by Taw View Post
    I was quite excited about this. Lot of people I know keep commenting about the black and white photos and such - for those who don't know, they have colour cameras, the photos received in black and white were from the haphazard cameras if I remember correctly, which are black and white.
    That, and you know how hard it is to take full 5000 x 5000 px color images, and beam them to Earth?

VERY HARD

It's like trying to seed a torrent with a 26.8 kbps dial up connection.

Weasyl
    MLR
    In case you missed it, touchdown was successful, right on schedule. It even sent back a couple of gritty, low-res photos just to say "I'm here, bitches". Another post summing it up: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ba...osity-to-mars/
    I'm looking forward to what this thing's going to find. I'm hoping they're planning on seeking out the source of methane in Mars' atmosphere, which, if you're familiar, is a very short-lived gas that's quite often produced on Earth by biological organisms. Like cows, but I don't think there are Martian cows. But in any case, the fact that there is methane there means there's a constant supply of it somewhere, and right now where that supply is is a mystery. But lots of other stuff to do, too, so we'll see. I'm just glad they were able to get this get on the ground there in the face of massive budget cuts to the planetary science program.

Weasyl
    Tiger
    It's pretty awesome to be able to watch this amazing scientific feat unfold right in front of us. I have a good feeling about Curiosity. The name suits it well!

Weasyl
    Ratte
    Wow I didn't even hear about this until yesterday. Glad it landed safely! :>