Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Search by popularity [Suggestion]

Weasyl
    FlynnCoyote
    Stuff like this is why struggling rising artists get overlooked and discouraged to the point of quitting. A new member with genuine talent can go unnoticed for months or years because nobody ever finds out about them with a feature like this.

I'm not saying I'm gonna boycott the site if it's implemented, but I am going to say if you do please don't make it the default for the site like dA does.
    We'll find a reason, or else realize that we don't need one.

Quote Originally Posted by FlynnCoyote View Post
    Stuff like this is why struggling rising artists get overlooked and discouraged to the point of quitting. A new member with genuine talent can go unnoticed for months or years because nobody ever finds out about them with a feature like this.

I'm not saying I'm gonna boycott the site if it's implemented, but I am going to say if you do please don't make it the default for the site like dA does.
    I have to agree with this. Sorting by popularity skews view counts and the most popular images to start with get so many views and favorites from being on page one that they end up stuck there forever despite better art existing elsewhere.

Weasyl
    xarg
    Quote Originally Posted by FlynnCoyote View Post

Do keep in mind that while implementing something like this might seemingly be a disservice to "struggling rising artists", it would be of much benefit to impatient and casual browsers, who use the site just to look at art. It is no secret that the general perceived quality of art generally correlates with the amount of public attention.

My point above is that if the site makes browsing popular art difficult, it will easily alienate a large proportion of the potential userbase who would use the site only to browse and appreciate art, rather than publishing themselves. They have a very different set of needs and likes when it comes to features that the site provides. These people, however, are the ones that spend the majority of their time on the site looking for new art, thus giving "struggling rising artists" more of a chance to be noticed and seen through word-of-mouth advertisement.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightpaws View Post
    Sorting by popularity skews view counts and the most popular images to start with get so many views and favorites from being on page one that they end up stuck there forever despite better art existing elsewhere.
    This is just a matter of implementation. "Popularity" as a scalar measure is very much open to interpretation and any good search algorithm would be able to take into account the view-inflation form being highly rated for a long time. The problem that you are describing is very apparent in a naive implementation, yes. A good implementation will promote change and variety in the top lists. Maybe it should be more of a "Popular in the last x amount of time".

Anyway, hiding popular posts from users will not make anyone happy. It won't give other pictures but marginally more views, and random browsers will just be frustrated over time.

I'd much rather a feature that finds me content within my gambit of interests automatically. Like a 'Weasyl Digest' of sorts. This means I can find new artists without a lot of traction drawing art I'd find favorable. Though this would require a favorite/hate system like Sofurry has to work.

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Signing on in agreement that a rank-by-popularity option only serves to hurt the artist community.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    I'm not speaking for staff when I say this, this whole post is just my personal opinion. But I personally don't think this would be a positive feature. I don't browse looking for art that a lot of other people like, I want to look for art that -I- will like. I also don't think an impatient browser would be deterred from looking at art if the immediate search results aren't ones that already have a ton of views and favs. I think a system like this would not be beneficial for the people browsing or the majority of the artists who post here.

Weasyl
    willy
    Nevermind that the needs of a browser are, in my opinion, almost secondary to the needs of the artist given that this is an art site and not a search engine.

I really don't like popularity features to begin with as they seem a bit needless.

I'd rather have features that better help expose more lesser known artists instead of putting the spotlight on people who already get enough exposure.

Insert Witty Comment Here AndiGreyScale's Avatar
    Weasyl
    AndiGreyScale
    I also would like it if we stayed away from the "search by popular" option because then lesser known artists will just get over looked. It's one the features I've always hated about DA.

Edit: In fact, I like the way the search function works just as it is now.
    Last edited by AndiGreyScale; 01-18-2014 at 02:51 AM.

Weasyl
    Hewge
    Lame.