Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Weasyl
    Runefox
    So it begins. Not as you'd expect, but in one very egregious way: Cellular-style metered access and cellular-style pricing.

At the present time price tiers at EBTC range from $24.95 for 5 gigabytes (equivalent to two downloaded, high-definition movies), to $299.95 for 100 gigabytes (GB) with overages priced at $5 per GB for 3Mbps (data transfer speed over the Internet. The U.S. average is 8.6 Mbps.)

Quote Originally Posted by Runefox View Post
    So it begins. Not as you'd expect, but in one very egregious way: Cellular-style metered access and cellular-style pricing.
    To be fair, this was implemented before the appellate court's ruling. Aside from that, this entire article reeks of local corruption. They're trying to gut their tiny customer base because they probably assume they aren't willing to fight back, and if they want internet... what other choice do they have?

That's an unfortunate precedent that other service providers might use to begin ramping up their own costs (especially here in Australia where internet costs a lot but is stunningly bad).

Weasyl
    Shad-Wolf
    I think its a lot of nonsense for them to even THINK of even passing something as dumb as this shit right here. :/

Yet again… "We know best because we are government, and know whats best for everyone." ……NOPE!! …Don't just assume what you know. >:|

I really hate it when they try to pass something so dumb, trying to control the internet, if its not controlling the internet its putting stupid blocks and things in they way to make it more annoying. They just can't leave the Internet be, it doesn't need controlled regulations. I really hope FCC beat this back hard. Verizon is dumb to even think that as a business ISP to want to even propose adding extra costs based on sites users visit or do on the internet.

Weasyl
    Bri Mercedes
    Quote Originally Posted by Runefox View Post
    But how can that be? Chimney smoke is visible! Car exhaust is invisible! Chimney smoke is obviously chock full of all kinds of terrible chemicals.
    Ban bonfires and fireworks and forest fires!

I can't see how hundreds of millions of internet users can be screwed over by just a couple big-money heads. Petition the crap out of them!

All the politicians and businessmen I've ever met are... strange. Like they aren't real people. I can't describe it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadWolf View Post
    I think its a lot of nonsense for them to even THINK of even passing something as dumb as this shit right here. :/

Yet again… "We know best because we are government, and know whats best for everyone." ……NOPE!! …Don't just assume what you know. >:|

I really hate it when they try to pass something so dumb, trying to control the internet, if its not controlling the internet its putting stupid blocks and things in they way to make it more annoying. They just can't leave the Internet be, it doesn't need controlled regulations. I really hope FCC beat this back hard. Verizon is dumb to even think that as a business ISP to want to even propose adding extra costs based on sites users visit or do on the internet.
    You do realize that the FCC is an independent agency of the government, right? What's happening here is this part of the government is fighting big business (Verizon et al) in the US court system, which is a different ballgame because it's also fighting different parts of itself. You WANT regulation of these companies in this case, otherwise pricing systems and lack of competition can quickly get out of control, which hurts consumers and smaller companies across the spectrum.

I don't want to make this thread about a lesson in government, but it's not inherently a bad thing... however you can't bash the government and then in the same breath wish for the FCC to beat this back. It's all government.

Weasyl
    Runefox
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadWolf View Post
    This isn't a government thing, it's a corporate lobbying thing. It's because there was no regulation to begin with that this case came to court, and now a major battle has been lost in the net neutrality debate. ISP's have been wanting to end net neutrality for a long time because open access to the internet at a flat rate isn't raking in enough dough to make them happy. The end result of being legally able to discriminate against internet traffic and meter it accordingly is that both consumers and internet companies will be paying; The consumer to access websites above and beyond their flat internet rate, and companies to have their sites included in plans at prime rates.