Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Accents

Weasyl
    Carnau / Issy / Isra

Accents

Looked around, didn't notice an accent thread around so I was like.. Ehh why not? c:
    What sort of accent would you say you'd have? Everyone's got one whether you realize it or not, it doesn't have to matter if those in your general area speak in the same way.
    Also, what are your FAVORITE accents? Let's try not to discuss accents that we happen to hate, we want to keep a warm atmosphere about this place after all.

---------------------------------

I'll go first~ Upon much research I have concluded that I have a Trans-Atlantic accent and people ask me if I'm into poetry or theater because of it every so often. (lol weird.)

"It's instantly familiar to anyone who's seen old movies and newsreels from the 1930s and 1940s. But you cannot imagine a present-day American using it with a straight face. It's not faux-British, but it's a particular kind of lah-dee-dah American diction that at one time was very familiar and now has vanished."
    This is not a regional accent and thus cannot be pinned down on a map at all rather it was taught to actors, actresses, and the accent comes from prestigious boarding schools in New England where students were taught to speak English in more of an high-class aristocratic way.
    Now.... I am not old haha let me just get that out of the way. *coughtwentythreecough*

I did however grow up in the New England area and for most of my childhood my peers happened to be older folk.. Who attended school in the pre WW2 era. I think I understand were I could have acquired such a rare accent now.
    A few example's of what this speech sounds like:

Skip forward to 2:12, she'll show you a few random accents up until that point:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UgpfSp2t6k
    My Little Pony FIM's very own Rarity:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhI6cvwDpQA
    HANNIBAL LECTER
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1IayQ9MAl4

Also by popular demand, feel free to share your accent with through an audio recording while reading this out loud:

"See above those clouds, near where the blue sky appears to fold? Some say it is the entrance to the floating isles where pirates still rule the air and dragons choose to live. Only the most skilled pilots can sail their craft close enough to even glimpse the light coming from within. You can't find those who know the way; they find you. Rather, you four lazy tourists must learn from your books and be ready, so that you may not miss an opportunity to travel to that mysterious place. It would be an adventure that you would never forget. Now, I think that's enough with this pleasurable story telling. Go home and join your aunt - she's cooking fine food!"
    Last edited by Carnau; 01-16-2014 at 09:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by voicebox64
    Now he can have all the turkey with pillowy mounds of mashed potatoes, butter drenched dressing and tiny onions swimming in a sea of cream sauce he wants.

Weasyl
    MakePupsNotWar
    I'm fond of Finnish accents, it just reminds me of home. I'm told I have a very faint one (probably from growing up with my dad, who has an extremely thick accent), but I wish mine was stronger. I dig just about any Scandinavian and eastern European accents, really.
    Yeah? well, y'know...that's just like, your opinion, man.

Like Chess? Play with me! Just drop me a PM whenever you're down. I have a chess.com account, and I can also set up a game with you on lichess (no subscription process or login required) whenever you like.

Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    Southern Californian! Although mostly just the accent, not the vocabulary. Well. It's weird. I don't have much vocabulary that is uncharacteristic of other parts of the country. (I feel like the internet in part has made it easier to unify dialectic vocabulary such that most of the young generations has less diverse dialects vocabulary-wise, but that's a different, more complicated topic that requires full analysis that I have not yet done.) I have a few phrases like "y'all," "hella," "pop (soda)," and "mum" that come from various places but literally none are related to where I live and grew up.
    Phonemically, I have a SoCal accent. Although occasionally some midwestern leaks in (parents from midwest) with my O's. It's also hard for me to hear the difference between a midwestern O and the type of O the rest of the nation usually uses :s I think she missed midwestern (first video). It's flat. Kind of like Texan? But not really. Not nearly that extreme.

Duuude the Trans-Atlantic accent is reeeally cool. I've heard it quite a bit frommmmmm places that I can't remember? I feel like I've heard it from radio stuff. And other places. I like it <:

I reeeeeeeeally like Scottish accents. don't judge me at least i didnt say british
    And now that I heard it, I like the Trans-Atlantic accent <:

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    Sigh.

I try to keep my accent as... neutral as I can. Try as I might, some Texan twang will slip through, and usage of the word "y'all" is more or less programmed in at this point. But generally I do my best to emulate American newscaster-neutral.

If I've had a lot to drink, though. Ugh. Imagine a female version of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj6CIveQGLs

My favorite accents are Scottish, Irish, Liverpool, and I'm not aware enough to denote geographical variations for these but I love Swedish, German, and Russian accents as well.
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

I love to torture people with a little bit of a southern Texas drawl that comes from my dad's side, but in general people can't really place my voice. A lot of my speaking habits are most likely a mix between west coast and Texan, though I did convince a Brit once that I was Scottish for a bit, that was a lot fun. Also everybody on the east coast instantly realizes I'm not from the region, yet they still can't place it.

We should have a thread where people just record themselves saying a particular sentence or two that we all agree upon. that'd be fun!

Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgonops View Post
    Sigh.

I try to keep my accent as... neutral as I can. Try as I might, some Texan twang will slip through, and usage of the word "y'all" is more or less programmed in at this point. But generally I do my best to emulate American newscaster-neutral.

If I've had a lot to drink, though. Ugh. Imagine a female version of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj6CIveQGLs
    Shhhhhh it's okay
    personally
    I find the New York accent worse than the Texan accent
    Texan is actually in the upper half of my list of accents I'm okay with (not that I have strong feelings on many accents to begin with)

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    We should have a thread where people just record themselves saying a particular sentence or two that we all agree upon. that'd be fun!
    YES

Weasyl
    Carnau / Issy / Isra
    Oh baw, I live in NYC currently and I like the firm, cocky Brooklyn accent c:
    Quote Originally Posted by voicebox64
    Now he can have all the turkey with pillowy mounds of mashed potatoes, butter drenched dressing and tiny onions swimming in a sea of cream sauce he wants.

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissfulOblivion View Post
    Shhhhhh it's okay
    personally
    I find the New York accent worse than the Texan accent
    Texan is actually in the upper half of my list of accents I'm okay with (not that I have strong feelings on many accents to begin with)
    I just try to hope that when people hear my drunken abuse of vowels and strong leaning on 'r' sounds that they are just pleasantly surprised not to hear me talking about guns, freedom, or saying racist things. \_(ツ)_/

I also like the idea of a thread where we record us saying stuff.
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Personally I'm fond of the softer accents from the American South. Slip in a "y'all", whether by accident or intent, and I will melt.

As for my own accent I suppose it's a softer variant of West Tyrone marked by touches of Finn Valley, described by a lot of people (much to my embarrassment) as 'educated'.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10
    Weasyl
    MLR
    I have what I would call an American accent. I grew up in Nebraska, where everything about the people is boring, including their accent. Super thick, almost Gaelic, Scottish accents are the best.

I also agree that it would be kind of fun for folks to record a sentence or two. I know there exist some standard passages that use most phonemes that would differ from region to region, so something like that could work.