Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Gaming Guilty Pleasures

Quote Originally Posted by BlissfulOblivion View Post
    I... used to play MapleStory. And admittedly adored it. But it got super dumb! They kept making stupid new classes and OPing them and then raising everyone else's abilities so that everyone was OP and then new classes that were literally the skillsets of the old classes with new names and animations and calling it "new" and having a promo and having pretty art and ew. And the market in it went through massive inflation. Everything worth anything cost at least 1b. If you could afford it, you merched till you got 50+b. If you didn't, you sucked and had shitty stuff. And then instead of making new and challenging game ideas, maps, etc, they just made better places to grind and raised the level cap. People didn't even play PQs any more. It was all about grinding and merching and it was the grossest stuff >:C Hence why I quit it.
    Uhm. That was totally not a rant :V That was my guilty pleasure game. That is all. Aha.
    Also a former guilty pleasure of mine, back from my early teens. You're telling me prices got into the -billions- though? Holy smokes, that's insane. I played a bit when the dragon pet class came out many years ago, but it was of course just more of the same. You know what I miss the most, though? Jump Quests. Yes, I loved them, hush.

Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    Also a former guilty pleasure of mine, back from my early teens. You're telling me prices got into the -billions- though? Holy smokes, that's insane. I played a bit when the dragon pet class came out many years ago, but it was of course just more of the same. You know what I miss the most, though? Jump Quests. Yes, I loved them, hush.
    By the time I finished, the price of a "good" weapon was probably about 50b+. If not, you needed a collection of 5b+ items to make yourself into something worth something. It was absurd. I think the richest person had, like, some 500-800b? And that was just in my world. I wasn't even in the biggest world. :I
    Some JQs were pretty fun but a lot of them were the pain-in-the-ass you missed the 1-pixel platform bwAHAHAHA SUCKER type :s I think PQs were always the most fun.
    The other problem is that the game got absolutely packed with hackers and glitch exploits. Although I admittedly sometimes went along with the latter, it was really annoying.

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #13
    Weasyl
    Taw
    I have a few gaming guilty pleasures.

1. Runescape.

Played this since early 2002, quit a few times and came back. I was one of the guys who played and didn't level combat, so in 2003 when they switched over to RS2 I lost a HP level (went from 10 to 9 max). This was because level 10 changed from being 1000XP to 1154, so my account was no longer at the max. Also had a party hat and quite a bit of wealth for a while, lost it all in 2011 though. Still hop on occasionally but the last 8 months I've been quite disinterested in the game. I think I'm at like 1700 or so total level now with no 99s. (After I lost my wealth and had my HP levelled to 10 I started on combat, was at 1300 or so I believe before then).

2. MapleStory

Started trying this out back in 2005 when it first opened in Beta, played for about 2 years. Afterwards I quit and finally came back in 2011. Played for a few months at a time and would quit, and since then I've gotten the following characters:

Level 182 Dark Knight - my main, gear is worth approx 8 billion right now
    Level 125 Demon Avenger
    Level 110 Evan
    Level 102 Zero (they start at 100, barely played it tbh)
    Level 90 Luminous
    Level 70 Hermit
    Level 70 Cannoneer
    Level 70 Mercedes
    Level 70 Demon Slayer
    Level 70 Ice/Lightning Mage
    Level 70 Battle Mage
    Level 70 Kaiser
    Level 70 Angelic Buster
    Level 70 Phantom
    Level 70 Aran
    Level 70 Kanna
    Level 70 Fighter

Mostly level 70s because at 70+ you get a link skill you can link to another character, I use most on my main, which is my Dark Knight.

Some of the less well-regarded or at least divisive games in the Silent Hill series (Origins, The Room, Homecoming, Downpour, Shattered Memories) I really enjoyed. I also don't get all the hate for Resident Evil 6. I thought Resident Evil 5, while still a really good game, was trying way too hard to be like RE4. The partner/inventory system was also needlessly convoluted. RE6 simplified both of those and took on a completely different tone from previous RE games. I also loved the more free-form style of combat/dodging. I wish they'd taken all the material they'd come up with and spread it out over the course of several, more fleshed out games instead of cramming it all into one like they did, but the end result is still deserving of a hell of a lot better scores than what some notable review sites gave it.

I guess the Siren games probably count too. It's either too convoluted and difficult like the original Siren, or too linear and easy like Blood Curse. It just can't seem to please anyone. I love the concept behind the series and appreciate both for what they are. I also really enjoyed Alone In The Dark (PS3/360) in spite of the flaws. It was among the first open-world horror games of that generation so I guess I was willing to cut it a lot of slack. It hasn't aged well though, that's for sure.

Oh, before I forget. One more Resident Evil game I should mention. Operation Raccoon City. Truth be told, this was for a time one of the few games I really regretted buying. I'm not sure what happened, but at some point recently I decided to pick it back up, determined to actually try to play the game like what it is, which is pretty much a straight up shooter instead of a "traditional" Resident Evil game, and found it to be way more enjoyable. I ended up getting the Echo Six DLC missions and weapons packs and had just as much fun with those if not more.

Weasyl
    Vae
    Shadow is my second favorite Sonic character. (First is Knuckles.)

I can also hardly bring myself to ever finish modern games because they're just stupidly long and I like to finish games in around 2 - 4 hours. I get some progress on them, but then I just quit.

That's all I can think of. I'm not particularly embarassed about any specific games I play.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    Rain-Wizard
    I have invested hours and hours into the first Pikmin game, where I now know the exact location of everything, and got my playthrough set down to a T. I can play it 3 times and do near enough the same thing each time. And I love that.
    "Disciple of the cross and champion in the suffering, immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption. Harden your mind through the chains of the divine; Make way for the shepherd of fire"

Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by RainWizard View Post
    I have invested hours and hours into the first Pikmin game, where I now know the exact location of everything, and got my playthrough set down to a T. I can play it 3 times and do near enough the same thing each time. And I love that.
    That is nothing to feel guilty about.
    That is something to be envied.

Greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    Shadow is my second favorite Sonic character. (First is Knuckles.)

I can also hardly bring myself to ever finish modern games because they're just stupidly long and I like to finish games in around 2 - 4 hours. I get some progress on them, but then I just quit.

That's all I can think of. I'm not particularly embarassed about any specific games I play.
    My oldest internet nickname is Knux, and my first ever drawing was of him. Nothing to be too guilty about, you have (pretty) good tastes!

Weasyl
    Vae
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    My oldest internet nickname is Knux, and my first ever drawing was of him. Nothing to be too guilty about, you have (pretty) good tastes!
    Well I'm not embarassed by liking Knuckles. Lol. He's been my favorite since Sonic 3.
    Just Shadow, because angst angst hardkoar angst ~2dark~.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    N/A
    BlazBlue. I suck at fighting games hard, but I love me some anime-style visuals and heavy metal soundtrack. Plus all the kaka ;-;