Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissfulOblivion View Post
    Ooh! I forgot to mention this! The other day I learned that there's a hypothetical object that has a finite volume but infinite surface area <: Math is fun!
    Makes sense, as long as the surface is a fractal, the area of the surface should be infinite I think.

edit: Here's one with infinite surface area that encloses zero volume.
    Last edited by piņardilla; 02-09-2014 at 11:57 PM.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by piņardilla View Post
    Makes sense, as long as the surface is a fractal, the area of the surface should be infinite I think.
    I'm... I'm not entirely sure... what that means? I have an awkward number of weirdly placed holes in my mathematical knowledge...
    What I was talking about is Gabriel's Horn, which is created by rotating the function f(x) = 1/x from 0 to infinity around the x-axis. The volume comes out to pi while the surface area goes on to infinity. Fun, right? :3

Weasyl
    FatalSyndrome
    Today I learned that I can wear shorts for a substantial amount of time during rainy weather and I'm excited.

That it's apparently perfectly ok to bully and shame others if they are part of a majority group.

Yeah that's a great way to endear yourself to someone, bully them! *rolls eyes*
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

Weasyl
    Tybalt
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenith View Post
    That it's apparently perfectly ok to bully and shame others if they are part of a majority group.

Yeah that's a great way to endear yourself to someone, bully them! *rolls eyes*
    A queer person goes spends their whole life being bullied by straight people, being told they're less than optimal because of their orientation, being denied the right to marry and have children, being at a higher risk for murder, suicide and violence. They go online and they say "ugh, straight people frustrate me"

It's really hard to feel sorry for a group of people when the worst discrimination they will ever face is "someone made a tumblr post that hurt my feelings"

Weasyl
    Tango
    I learned that today most people stumble through a haze of self centered reality. Observation and common courtesy are skills that are -severely- lacking in an unfortunate majority, especially in the morning as now I have to unfuck a huge parking cluster fuck in the parking lot due to a little snow.

I'm really wishing I could divorce myself from the human species sometimes.
    Courage, truth, honor, fidelity, discipline, hospitality, self-reliance, industriousness, and perseverance are pretty good traits to live by, don't you think?

That apparently colleges and universities sports programs come from a different funding, and can't be used on the university itself.

How else can they afford to pay their coaches more than the entire budget for several departments, yet can't pay to heat the library, slash financial aid, cut tenured professors' salaries to the point where they made more per year in Grad School, and force people to re-use twenty year old lab equipment because it's too expensive to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybby View Post
    A queer person goes spends their whole life being bullied by straight people, being told they're less than optimal because of their orientation, being denied the right to marry and have children, being at a higher risk for murder, suicide and violence. They go online and they say "ugh, straight people frustrate me"

It's really hard to feel sorry for a group of people when the worst discrimination they will ever face is "someone made a tumblr post that hurt my feelings"
    Sorry you can't really pull that card on me, my mother is a lesbian so I'm acutely aware of and grew up with the issues surrounding homosexuality at least. And generally go out of my way to treat everyone properly.

Bullying is bullying, and it is wrong.

It's hard for me to feel sorry for anyone if they go out of their way to dehumanize others.

But hey, good job at jumping to conclusion, you were unfortunately incorrect, but that's ok. If you want to make a better world for yourself and others, I would recommend actually going out and trying to have a positive influence on the world, start by being the better person, instead of stooping to bullying of others.

I don't expect to speak on this again, because quite frankly I'd rather work to help others than argue with someone that thinks it's ok to dehumanize others.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

Weasyl
    Tango
    Quote Originally Posted by Digitalpotato View Post
    That apparently colleges and universities sports programs come from a different funding, and can't be used on the university itself.

How else can they afford to pay their coaches more than the entire budget for several departments, yet can't pay to heat the library, slash financial aid, cut tenured professors' salaries to the point where they made more per year in Grad School, and force people to re-use twenty year old lab equipment because it's too expensive to replace.

I also learned that your icon brightens my day when I see it, Digital. Got any more 'Tales from Subway'? I'll trade you the story of the Naked Druid of Downtown Portland for one. And yes. You read that right. I had an encounter with a naked druid at work.
    Courage, truth, honor, fidelity, discipline, hospitality, self-reliance, industriousness, and perseverance are pretty good traits to live by, don't you think?

Weasyl
    MakePupsNotWar
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoDelahunt View Post
    I also learned that your icon brightens my day when I see it, Digital. Got any more 'Tales from Subway'? I'll trade you the story of the Naked Druid of Downtown Portland for one. And yes. You read that right. I had an encounter with a naked druid at work.
    Not surprised
    Yeah? well, y'know...that's just like, your opinion, man.

Like Chess? Play with me! Just drop me a PM whenever you're down. I have a chess.com account, and I can also set up a game with you on lichess (no subscription process or login required) whenever you like.