Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Any Makers here?

Weasyl
    Taeso
    Ratte - get Sculptey (original, terra cotta, 3, colored etc) when you start working with polymers - it's firm-moist when it's cool, and warms up easily by hand to a softer form, you can bend the hell out of it without cracking (properly warmed first ;3 ) and you can cook it in your kitchen oven at a lower degree for a shorter time than your typical dessert dish :3 Not to mention it's ready to paint right out of the oven too versus any priming you have to do prior to painting. I haven't worked with other polymers, but this is an excellent beginning clay for anyone and doesn't dry out easily like a white clay does.
    *Art is like telling a story with your emotions. If you can get yourself lost in the image's emotions and tale, chances are your peers will experience the same.*
    WARNING: This user is known to post in paragraphs - you have been advised!

Weasyl
    Ratte
    Quote Originally Posted by Taesolieroy View Post
    Ratte - get Sculptey (original, terra cotta, 3, colored etc) when you start working with polymers - it's firm-moist when it's cool, and warms up easily by hand to a softer form, you can bend the hell out of it without cracking (properly warmed first ;3 ) and you can cook it in your kitchen oven at a lower degree for a shorter time than your typical dessert dish :3 Not to mention it's ready to paint right out of the oven too versus any priming you have to do prior to painting. I haven't worked with other polymers, but this is an excellent beginning clay for anyone and doesn't dry out easily like a white clay does.
    Awesome, I'll keep that in mind. I know my friend likes the kind of clay with silver in it (holy crap expensive) and my art teacher once offered me bronze clay, but I couldn't take it. Also, I would guess that any basic acrylic paint would work for painting? I've only ever glazed/underglazed pottery/sculpts.

Does first-grade origami count as "making"?

I think Sculptris is a fun program for emulating clay without the mess. I've used clay once, I made a box with a dragon on top. The box broke and I still haven't gotten over it.
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

Weasyl
    Ceowolf
    i make Arts and chain mail jewelry trying to be original and coming up with your own stuff is hard work as it is
    Durp wolf is durp!

Weasyl
    Morphology
    Sorry for the sudden disappearance; I was in Denver for RMFC all weekend.

Taesolieroy- Ooh, that marker roll looks awesome! I wanna make something like that sometime; I usually keep my Prismacolor markers in an old cigar box and they have a tendency to fall out or lose their caps. And as for doll making, I've had an interest in doll making and I know some basic stuff about casting. I think I'll post a tutorial on basic resin casting soon.

I like that everyone here has a bunch of different crafts they like to do. It's getting me really excited to see what people post on the mainsite. :D

Weasyl
    Taeso
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratte View Post
    Awesome, I'll keep that in mind. I know my friend likes the kind of clay with silver in it (holy crap expensive) and my art teacher once offered me bronze clay, but I couldn't take it. Also, I would guess that any basic acrylic paint would work for painting? I've only ever glazed/underglazed pottery/sculpts.
    PMC (Precious Metal Clay)? Oh hell yah that stuff isn't cheap XP it's a rice gluten-based clay infused with the real stuff but you DO need a kiln (albeit a small one) to burn the rice out and the clay shrinks about 25% because of the evaporation - stuff's sticky as hell too. I played with some during my high school years before, good for experience, but not something I'd want to get serious in for its price >_>

As far as paint yes you can get right into it with acryllic or oil paints as preferred. I've not tried tea-staining yet but I'd love to sometime soon. But painting is a lot less thought-plan intensive (and doesn't give me one hell of a headache from the fumes alone as I discovered during art class once, I got so sick that I had to leave the class for a while to settle down again). Once you're done painting just spray seal it with the hobby shop sealer or varnish. Depending on how shiny you want the seal result to be use gloss for reflective shiny and matte for almost no shine to show the colors.

@Morphology - that roll took me about 2 days worth of machine sewing, I was pondering opening cheap commissions for them considering the relative inexpensiveness as that one holds all but the two metallics and you can see there are slots free for them. Some plans down the road for the bag is installing some elastic loops at the end for fastening purposes, or making a strap bag for it to store in for easy carry - the sucker's HEAVY with all the markers in it. I'll also be seeing about making an equivalent roll for my Prismacolor pencils if their current case gets too ungainly to use.

I'd love to see a tutorial on several molding methods as well as knowing sources on where to get the budget friendlier materials :3 I've not seen many animal BJDs so I want to dabble in them as I can to learn the behavior of elastic structure and joints.
    *Art is like telling a story with your emotions. If you can get yourself lost in the image's emotions and tale, chances are your peers will experience the same.*

Weasyl
    Morphology
    I just finished posting a tutorial on molding and casting resin in the art subforum if you're interested.

Weasyl
    Taeso
    :3 I'll definitely go check it out!

I make custom 40k miniatures with old bits and stuff, do some sculpting too. I do some work with resin casting too if i need bits.

Weasyl
    Morphology
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubite View Post
    I make custom 40k miniatures with old bits and stuff, do some sculpting too. I do some work with resin casting too if i need bits.
    What do you use to customize sculptures besides bits from others? Do you use a clay or apoxie or something?