Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Nobody likes sob stories. :U

Aside from most the things that have been posted here, I REALLY hate long journals that don't clearly mention the price. If I'm interested in commissioning, or even just stalking somebody's commissions, I want to see the prices right away. A TOS at the beginning stating something is for personal use only etc etc doesnt bother me, but if theres like a good 3-4 paragraphs of content that I have to read through before I get to the prices/types, I loose interest.

Bullet points are your friend.

Weasyl
    Bri Mercedes
    Thanks for making/replying to this topic, I've been stalking it to see what not to do since I just opened for commissions. Since I draw, I don't commission people unless I have been following them them/they act with professionalism/I am in love with their art, so it's good to see the other side of the fence.

I think professionalism is the absolute most important thing in any transaction, including the sale of art. For example, no sob stories (everyone says this, but really), no 'attitude' in the sale of rejection of commissions, no sign that you complete art late unless you have a decent explanation. Things like that.

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    I did state that I will only be making one journal to say that I am now accepting commission.
    And I wrote something else to bury it pretty fast.

It's called a journal and IMO, should be used as a journal. To keep track of my progress and stuffs that other can participate in. If you want to sell your shits so much, might as well just make a blog instead and tell everyone interested to check there. Getting real tired of having constant "HI COMMISSION IS UP" journal.

Reading through this thread was rather enlightening!
    And actually, as someone who's page /journal turned into a lot of (often weekly) Commission announcements, I found myself getting tired of these goddamned journals, especially since I kept to the same copy/paste forumula to save on time.

I couldn't really help it. People didn't respond to the "image announcements" I submitted, and journals seemed to work best for a while. But it does get annoying, even on my end, haha.

But I do try to keep it professional and to the point. A quick "Bills are coming" blurb or something, maybe a mini update, but then it's down to brass tacks. (tax? anyways)
    Sob stories would be acceptable on the grounds that, if there was no other history of sharing stories like that, and it was something absolutely major that hit, you know?

Anyways, I do wish there was an easier way to get the word out when you are open to accept new commissions, though. That would be a very nuanced system, I'd imagine.

A poor attitude always makes me turn away. I've seen some really weird commission posts that went something like "lol I suck. Nobody ever buys from me. commission me I guess." and I was like wow. Yeah, I sure do wanna give you my money.

Never open shop without a smiling face!
    I'd rather pick flowers instead of fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Crownless View Post
    A poor attitude always makes me turn away. I've seen some really weird commission posts that went something like "lol I suck. Nobody ever buys from me. commission me I guess." and I was like wow. Yeah, I sure do wanna give you my money.

Wow, that's such a counter-intuitive way to try and attract commissions, I can barely believe it. Aspiring artists should understand that if they themselves look like they don't care much for their art, they're not giving anyone else any reason to like it either.

Weasyl
    Chuchi
    Quote Originally Posted by Conduit View Post
    Wow, that's such a counter-intuitive way to try and attract commissions, I can barely believe it. Aspiring artists should understand that if they themselves look like they don't care much for their art, they're not giving anyone else any reason to like it either.
    I was going to say something witty about this, but then I realized I'm one of those people who do that. But then again, I don't do commissions, so I think I can get away with that. BECAUSE I SUCK.

No, but seriously, tack another one up there on the 'sob story' board. I can understand wanting some help, but man, put the cup and the megaphone down.
    And I actually do agree that one should be more enthusiastic about their own work if they want others to buy their art.
    ╭━━━━━━━━━━━━━━╮
    Something interesting about myself.
    ╰━━━━━━━━━━━━━━╯

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    Quote Originally Posted by Crownless View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Conduit View Post
    Yes. Guilting people into commissioning you is... augh. It's the artistic equivalent of posting a selfie and saying, "Ugh, I'm so fat and ugly and gross," but worse because you expect money out of it. Yikes.

If you lack that much confidence in your art, start out with requests or trades or something. That kind of attitude might still be irritating in those situations, but I dunno, at least it could be seen as just a move to boost confidence instead of trying to guilt money out of people.

I personally don't intend to offer commissions until I can effectively say, "This is my work, and I feel confident enough in my abilities to give you what you want that I will accept money for it." I'm not there yet, so, I don't. :I

Lowering potential customers' expectations right up front just doesn't seem like it'd benefit anybody involved.
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

Weasyl
    Bri Mercedes
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgonops View Post
    If you lack that much confidence in your art, start out with requests or trades or something. That kind of attitude might still be irritating in those situations, but I dunno, at least it could be seen as just a move to boost confidence instead of trying to guilt money out of people.
    I'm a working illustrator and sometimes I don't feel confident. That's why I had a request thread up for a while until I felt I was equipped enough to start offering commissions people would want.

Worth noting: If you take requests or trades and take months/years to complete them, you are not prepared to take on paying customers. I had to learn that the semi-hard way and waited until I learned my lesson to open commissions. :I If you're taking in $10 of commission money every couple months, how the heck are you going to "pay your bills"? Get to work! No excuses. Doing commissions is HARD WORK and must be treated as a job.