Galactic Travels (Closed)

OOC// This is a closed RP already in progress. I'm just moving it here to the forums to make it easier to respond. I don't know how my partner is, but I don't mind others posting critique in here, just keep it short and don't actively involve yourselves in the story.

- - - Characters - - -

Rorick: A male rough collie. He's 29 years old, and a research biologist.
    Matt: A mechanic on the ship. (Will update)

- - - Plot Premise - - -

The year is 2234, space exploration, while it's been researched for centuries, has only recently become viable to travel beyond the Centauri System, about 4.5 light-years away. After the major breakthrough in ion-powered warp drives and faster-than-light communications about twenty years prior, humanity (including anthros) has exploded across the galaxy. We've set up colonies in hundreds of systems, all on uninhabited systems, although all within around 2000lys of the Sol System (our solar system, if you didn't know). Now the Centauri Exploration Co. is sending scouts to a planet about 10.3 thousand light years away from earth. Launched from the planet Cygnus-A in the Donovan system, it will be a journey of three months in warp space, followed by six months on the planet Ulysses System 1A (Known as USIA for short). It's an Earth-like protoplanet, a young world that holds water, and might contain primitive life.

This is where you come in. You're a member of Ignatius team, a group of crack scientists and privately contracted security forces. You've sent to explore this world, and ascertain its secrets. Most of all, this mission is to see if a colony will be viable on such a distant world. Succeed, and the doors to the galaxy, and perhaps the universe, will be thrown wide open.

- - -Story Thus Far - - -

Morning, September 18, 8:03 AM local time. The sky was a clear, crystal blue. The weather perfect, not a cloud in the sky, an only a light breeze. In the locker room Ignatius team was prepping for the upcoming launch. Suits were triple tested before being donned, final supplies and mementos of home loaded into bags before being transported to the ship. A stocky, well muscled akita walked towards the exit, eyeing the crew, researchers, and assembled security. In all, they numbered around two hundred, though only forty were in this particular bay.
    "All right people, suit up and let's go!" He bellowed. Major Emanuel Thaddeus was commander of the mission, and it was his job to make sure the next year went smoothly. "Launch is in one hour, we all need to be on the pad in thirty minutes. Ruck up and move out!" Turning on his heel in a crisp military manner, he left the bay to give the same statement to all the others.

Among those 160 others, there was a shaggy looking canine dressed in a full body, grey jumpsuit, which covered everything but his head, and concealed his mechanical left hand, which had to be replaced several years prior in a machine-related incident while he was working aboard the space frigate Gettysburg. The mutt was largely unremarkable, save for his talent and practical quick thinking in repairing and maintaining large scale machinery, part of the reason which he had been selected for this mission in the first place. He had the greatest experience with the type of engines aboard the ship, which could be fickle in the wrong hands. Of course there were many others just as qualified, and in many ways he was lost among the sea of faces, especially when standing beside the imposing primary crew, a crack team of ingenious scientists alongside a handful of elite soldiers, should the worst be encountered upon arrival to the new and virtually uncharted planet. Beside the primary crew, there stood a human and another canine, who's appearances were so dynamically different that it was almost poetic. On one hand there was Sergeant Fallow, a rigid and impossibly strict looking doberman who's demeanor suggested that he was ready for the worst at all times, and not a man who's chain you'd like to yank. On the other hand, there was the comparably easygoing but starkly intelligent Captain adams, a tall and lanky human that oozed approachability and casualness, and yet was unquestionably competent in his qualifications. It was a helluva crew, and all the public had high hopes for what was to come of this unprecedented expedition.

In locker bay three, a motley group stood around various scientific instruments, testing their capabilities and functions prior to launch. One small mistake could lead to utter failure, a catastrophic disaster, should these apparatus malfunction.
    "How's she doing Marve?" A rough collie asked, jotting down notes on a digi-pad. "Getting an accurate count of the spore particulates?"
    "It's reading 4.32x10^32 spores." Marve replied. A tall, lanky human with a mop of sandy brown hair and light blue eyes, he was the third, and most junior, biologist on the team. His age notwithstanding, he was brilliant, one of the foremost theorists in the realm of astrobiology, hence his inclusion on such a critical mission.
    "Shouldn't be reading anywhere near that high. Sara, you think the dust in this room is high enough skew the results?" Sara, a short, grey mouse, looked around the bay.
    "Dusty as all get out in here. It's a wonder it's not off the charts. She's fine, just needs some cleaning." The chemist replied. At that time Major Thaddeus came into the bay with his customary speech before leaving. Dr. Julian, a red panda, was the primary physicist and head of the science expedition.
    "Everyone ready then? Any equipment faulty? Thought not. Let's gettem bagged and tagged, and suit up."

The Sergeant stood with arms folded and eyes vigilant, observing the smaller group of scientists rather coldly. The canine always harbored a kind of spite for intellectual types, and although he would not allow his feelings to interfere with his mission or the mission of those of the crew around him, he still vowed that he wouldn't go easy on those "soft, spoiled eggheads." As far as he was concerned, he outranked all them. Captain Adams had already begun issuing commands to the support staff, ordering everybody on board who was in charge of operating and maintaining the ship, so that final preparations and checks for launch could be made. This business concluded, he directed his attention to the press, who were practically climbing all over each other in order to get a few questions off before the entire crew retreated aboard the ship.

"Captain, Captain!" One reporter bellowed, a disheveled looking bulldog who had taken advantage of his stocky build to shove his way to the front of the group, and wave a large mic in Captain Adam's direction. "What are your comments concerning the recent criticism of this mission, which you have been personally involved in since its inception?" The Captain replied calmly and professionally as he could, although he still had to shout in order to answer him properly. "We are well aware that the mission is highly costly and that there is plenty that could go wrong, but I have the utmost faith in my crew, and I am certain that our success will result in the betterment of all mankind." Several more reporters hollered at once for the Captain's attention, and eventually he decided to address a shorter, human woman next. "And what of the humans who are protesting the large percentage of furs in the crew?" The captain smiled wryly at that. "Progress has no room for prejudice, Ma'am. Now, if you'll excuse me, we really must be going now."

The collie finished bagging the particle counter and placed it upon the cargo transport.
    "All ready," he told the load master. "Take her nice and easy. That's worth more than both of our salaries this year."
    "Hey, Rorick, you mind giving me a hand?" a tall, red-headed woman asked, struggling under a chrome-plated canister. "This anti-matter vault needs two sets to get it in safely. After all, even this little bit could almost annihilate the planet."
    "Yeah, that wouldn't be a great start. Besides, I've got too many experiments going on to suddenly vaporize." Taking one of the handles he helped carefully guide it into yet another, larger, vault, which was, thankfully, able to coast upon an air levitator. "That should do it." Across the room Doctor Julian took a gold, antiquated pocket watch from his lab coat to glance at the clock.
    "Fifteen minutes everyone! Finish suiting up and get to the launch pad," he directed. The collie finished bagging the particle counter and placed it upon the cargo transport.
    "All ready," he told the load master. "Take her nice and easy. That's worth more than both of our salaries this year."
    "Hey, Rorick, you mind giving me a hand?" a tall, red-headed woman asked, struggling under a chrome-plated canister. "This anti-matter vault needs two sets to get it in safely. After all, even this little bit could almost annihilate the planet."
    "Yeah, that wouldn't be a great start. Besides, I've got too many experiments going on to suddenly vaporize." Taking one of the handles he helped carefully guide it into yet another, larger, vault, which was, thankfully, able to coast upon an air levitator. "That should do it." Across the room Doctor Julian took a gold, antiquated pocket watch from his lab coat to glance at the clock.
    "Fifteen minutes everyone! Suit up and get to the launch pad," he directed. The red panda pushed a button and his suit began filling with air. Grabbing a small monitor, he checked the pressure in his uniform to guarantee one last time that it was completely functional.
    Suddenly the room shook violently, throwing the scientists to their knees. It was accompanied seconds later by a deafening boom. Klaxon alarms sounded as heavy blast doors sealed the locker bays to protect the valuable crew inside. Whatever had happened, the launch was surely to be delayed now.

The minor crew had already begun busily scuttling aboard and to their respective positions and preparing for the launch. At the time, Matt's job was only to stand back and wait for instructions, but the mutt couldn't resist observing the preparations in the primary engine control room. Many of the crew members who were in charge of operations had extensive experience in other ships, but few were truly familiar with the ins and outs of the often times volatile perpetual fusion core which powered the ship. At one point, he paused to look over the shoulders of a couple particularly lost looking engineers, most likely fresh from schooling with no hands on experience. "uuhm..." The mutt tapped one of their shoulders, a broad shouldered human with a stressed look upon his face. "yer not s'pose to run the core so hot before engaging all the backup coolant systems and energy sinks." Without turning around, the human replied curtly. "Full startup takes ten minutes, I'm saving the entire crew precious time. We aren't even drawing power from it yet." Matt cocked an eyebrow at that, "but that's the problem, it-" The human turned around and glared daggers at the canine. "Listen you grease monkey, who's more qualified to operate this thing, you or me-" A violent tremor shot through the ship, flinging everybody inside off of their feet. "aw shit!" Matt had seen it coming, he made a mad scramble for the main control hub and threw the emergency lever that closed the blast doors to the core room and bathed it in a concentrated spray of liquid nitrogen. It was probably not necessary considering the relatively minor nature of the wave, but he almost certainly did prevent extensive damage to the more delicate machinery near the core. One of the higher ranking engineers began shouting orders as others began climbing to their feet. "Run a diagnostic on the ship! Shut down the core! Which one of you threw the emergency cool down lever just now?!"

"What in the blue blazes was that!" Major Thadeus bellowed, more of an order than a question, as he barged into the command room. "I need answers now!" A human corporal from the intelligence sector was quick to reply.
    "Sir, the situation is unknown. Intel is currently being gathered, though initial reports suggest that the ship was involved at the epicenter. Agents are on route as we speak."
    "Get me a video feed corporal. I need to see what's going on." The corporal tapped a few buttons on his screen.
    "Sir, the cameras around the launch pad are out of commission, likely fried from the blast. Sending out a com team now."
    In locker bay three the science team sat quietly, contemplating what could be happening.
    "Anyone have any idea what that was?" Rorick asked.
    "Something exploded, I can tell you that," Marve replied smartly.
    "Not entirely," Sara retorted. "Could have easily been a disruption wave from the fusion core. Seemed more like that to me at least. Wouldn't be surprised if those idiots called Centauri call engineers tried to quick start the reactor." Dr. Julian swiftly intervened.
    "Let's calm down. We have no idea what happened, and until someone tells us something, we won't know."

"I believe that Sara's theory is the most likely, still...we cannot rule out the possibility of an attack." The captain interjected before adjusting his cap swiftly and making his way towards the bay doors.
    "Sergeant, would you and your men be so good as to accompany me to the ship?"
    "Sir, I really don't think you should be getting involved-"
    "I order you and your men to accompany me to the ship." The captain cut him off sharply, reminding him just who was in charge. He produced a small handgun from a holster at his waist and clicked the safety off.
    "I don't intend to put my crew in danger while I cower behind blast doors."

Still panting heavily, the brown mutt who had thrown himself at the emergency lever crawled back to his feet and raised his hand somewhat timidly. The engineer that had been previously shouting orders was a surprisingly burly human with a thick neck and bulging arms, and a bellowing voice to match.
    "You're no engineer...don't you know you aren't authorized to handle those controls?!" Matt flinched, but in a surprising display of fellowship, the man grasped his hand and shook it heartily.
    "You've got balls, guy! Your little maneuver just saved us a week in repairs! The rest of you who aren't running that diagnostic, I want you on sight in the core room to assess the damage!" It seemed strange that a regular senior engineer would be throwing around orders like that, but upon closer inspection, matt discovered that he had quite a few badges decorating his uniform. He must have been a military engineer who had been specially assigned to oversee the others. The entire room was abuzz with activity, and Matt found himself standing there grinning stupidly for several moments before realizing that he still had a job to do, and then taking off like lightning down the halls and towards the fusion core.

- - - First Reply - - -

"All clear!" A lieutenant called, covered comepletly in a black battle suit. His rifle scanned the launch pad, looking for threats. Other reports came in as well.
    "Clear!"
    "All good!"
    "No contacts."
    The corporal reported this to Thadeus. "It seems likely we can rule out an attack."
    "No. Never rule out an attack until the final clear comes in. Especially here. What we're doing, intergrating furs and humans, it's unprecidented. Anthros live, work, and play in different planets, sectors, even solar systems than humans in most places. It's like segregation back when the USA was in power, only it's legal to kill a fur in most nations. Bah, I'm digressing here, the point is, we still don't know what happened, and we won't rule out a major likely hood only because a few teams have reported in clear."

Weasyl
    MakePupsNotWar
    The captain relaxed for a moment, but Thadeus did have a point: contact between the anthropomorphized races and the humans had been relatively new, and tensions would be high on both sides for such an immense collaborative project, both inside the ship and at home. Bickering had already broken out in the media for who should ultimately receive credit for the project. The humans had their hyperspace tech and the initiative for starting the project, whereas the furs brought the initial discovery of the far off planet and the biotech needed to sustain that many life forms in deep space for such a long period of time to the table. While the project was ultimately meant to be a symbol of cooperation between intelligent life forms in the galaxy, it was also a prime target for purists from either side that see the alien race as inferior to their own or menacing to their culture and way of life. Anybody smart enough to read the news from time to time would know that it was not a question of if the tension will boil over in some nasty way, but when.

Chaos unfolded before Matt's eyes as he rounded the corridor which lead to the core room. Every support worker available was scuttling in and out of the core room, many in full HAZMAT suits, likely venturing deeper into the core's stasis chamber to fix structural damage and contain radiation. Unsurprisingly the poor mutt found himself a little bewildered at the scene, but he worked quickly to make himself useful, turning to the first put-together looking person he could find and simply stating "Where do you need me?"
    Yeah? well, y'know...that's just like, your opinion, man.

Like Chess? Play with me! Just drop me a PM whenever you're down. I have a chess.com account, and I can also set up a game with you on lichess (no subscription process or login required) whenever you like.

OOC// Sorry for the delay, haven't forgot, just a busy week with school exams, work, and a contest I needed to prepare for. I'll try to reply tomorrow.

Weasyl
    MakePupsNotWar
    No rush bud!
    Yeah? well, y'know...that's just like, your opinion, man.

Like Chess? Play with me! Just drop me a PM whenever you're down. I have a chess.com account, and I can also set up a game with you on lichess (no subscription process or login required) whenever you like.

Thaddeus seemed to relax as more reports came in. When the last strike team entered the vessel, and confirmed the situation, the major could barely contain a growl of disgust.
    "Idiot engineers." He muttered. "How did they get their degrees when they make a rookie mistake?" He turned to the control room, addressing the assembled mission control. "Alright, send word out, launch will be delayed at least three hours, if not more. We still want to be in the air today, but we have no idea how badly damaged the ship and supplies were. Tell the press there were minor technical difficulties with the fueling process, and the engineers need to ascertain a new course of action."
    He didn't know if he actually had the authority to issue such commands, as he was the commander of the mission on board, not on the ground, but the corporate lackey whom was supposed to be running the show had yet to show their face. Hell, he didn't even actually know who the leader of Mission Control was, despite working on this project for near on three years. All he knew was that orders needed issued and he was in a position to issue them.

OOC// Once again, sorry for the delay. Had a case of writer's block this week, but I seem to have gotten over it now, at least. Hopefully I won't delay again any time soon.