Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Aster
    Now you just need to add a Mod Application Handler to your team to help sort through the flood of applications
    don't mind me; i'm just insane

Weasyl
    N/A
    Are forum applications closed?

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #53

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Quote Originally Posted by Aster View Post
    Now you just need to add a Mod Application Handler to your team to help sort through the flood of applications
    Yeah, it's been interesting organizing everything together, a lot of work but lots of applicants to choose from is a good problem to have.

Quote Originally Posted by NotXaerun View Post
    Are forum applications closed?
    The link to the app is still up. It's next to the donate button on the menu.

Weasyl
    Percy
    Quote Originally Posted by Taw View Post
    We aren't really looking for forum mods right now, we have more than enough. The application is for main site moderators primarily.
    Huh, the OP mentioned that you guys were looking for both forum and mainsite mods. I'm guessing you must've meant you were looking for someone who can work both the forums and mainsite?

I applied for forum mod, but if you guys only need mainsite mods, I'd probably be able to handle it.

Will it count seriously against you if you were involved in dramatic politics on another site?

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #56
    Weasyl
    Taw
    Quote Originally Posted by Percy View Post
    Huh, the OP mentioned that you guys were looking for both forum and mainsite mods. I'm guessing you must've meant you were looking for someone who can work both the forums and mainsite?

I applied for forum mod, but if you guys only need mainsite mods, I'd probably be able to handle it.
    Our staff pretty much moderates both at this point, but we're not looking for individuals who want to solely focus on the forums, as this application is more intended for focus on the main site moderation duties.

Quote Originally Posted by shentino View Post
    Will it count seriously against you if you were involved in dramatic politics on another site?
    I honestly couldn't really say for sure, but depending on what exactly that entails and how severe it was, it possibly could.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #57

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Your history across the internet can hurt, but it always depends on the situation.

If five years ago you trolled a forum and got banned, that doesn't really mean much, especially if you've shown that isn't a concern any longer. If you went out of your way yesterday to cause trouble then yeah it'll probably disqualify you. We're looking for moderators that we can trust to do the job, and also trust in the community. Your best option is to simply be honest about things like that and we'll judge from there.

Weasyl
    TealMoon
    I was a meaner person back on FAF but I've chilled since coming here. :I

Does not having mod experience really hurt your chances?

Weasyl
    Percy
    Quote Originally Posted by Taw View Post
    Our staff pretty much moderates both at this point, but we're not looking for individuals who want to solely focus on the forums, as this application is more intended for focus on the main site moderation duties.
    Ah, okay. Thanks for the info.

...now I wish I can revise my application, but it's too late now. >.>

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #60

Weasyl
    Fayv
    Quote Originally Posted by TealMoon View Post
    I was a meaner person back on FAF but I've chilled since coming here. :I

Does not having mod experience really hurt your chances?
    It really depends on the app you write, just like in real life. Mod experience, and where you got the experience is important. It's something that tells us you have done this kind of thing before, and at what level. If someone has been a mod on Gaia, FA, DA, Conceptart, and more, we know they understand art moderation on big sites, that's very valuable. If someone says they were a mod on SomethingAwful, we'll know they understand forum moderation but might look more into how well they fit in with Weasyl.

There could be the case where someone has had very little experience, but otherwise has been active everyday, takes part in the community, and actively reports violations. That shows us they know our staff, our community, and our rules. There's no surprise there, so that's something we actively look for too.

Some people bring big skills to the table. They may not have the most mod experience, or are the most active, but they've been around the community and are a copyright lawyer, or a certified translator of 9 different languages.

It's all a combination of factors. There is no one thing that makes us auto accept an app, but we are selecting the applicants that demonstrate the most familiarity and activity with the site + most experience + added insights and skills that will help us grow, and even then particularly in this case, there's going to be a time when we just have to turn down a good candidate for the sake of numbers. We just can't have 40 new mods.

When this is all over I intend to do my best to inform people what they could have done better if they weren't selected. If you weren't selected there is a big chance that it's just because you weren't active until mod apps appeared, in which case just stick around and try again. We are actually paying attention to the people that have already applied, looking at how they've improved over time, because regardless it shows an interest in helping that is continuing.

So, yeah. Mod experience helps, other things help too, don't be too bummed if you're not selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Percy View Post
    Ah, okay. Thanks for the info.

...now I wish I can revise my application, but it's too late now. >.>
    If it's something really big that you think will really turn things around go ahead and PM me and I'll add it in.