Weasyl
    DinosaurDammit

shading help please

So I am looking for help on shading this. no nudity but its implied i guesss http://imgur.com/mMMTSUw

crude after edit to show light source. I am trying to put nebula in the background. also I would love to know how lingrimm gets their lines so tiny and their pictures so "airy". I feel like that would do this thing justice. Could i have a little help trying to redline the shading points. I am going to use somewhat of an aquaish light because the nebuals and stars are that color. Shading the hair and wings is my biggest crux. Im also trying to figure out how to imply that there is a surface she is sitting on- like a cloud. But im running out of ideas.

thanks for looking and thanks for help

Weasyl
    DinosaurDammit

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Last edited by QT Melon; 01-12-2014 at 01:16 PM.

Weasyl
    DinosaurDammit
    Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    Color grouping is the act of putting together color palettes that match what you wanted to do. So you start building "swatches" or colors based upon your picture. That way instead of wondering what color you put down, you have a set you have to work with. You want to experiment a bit to see how they relate to each other. Sometimes a dark blue you may choose may be too stark with with the other colors you have chosen.
    something like this? or more advanced? http://i.imgur.com/qWRwIpU.jpg i did a set of colors i was going to use but i feel that this might the wrong "color grouping"

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    From what I can see you have some colors grouped too close together which will make it harder for shadows and highlights...let me see if I can help with some swatches

Weasyl
    DinosaurDammit
    From what I can see you have some colors grouped too close together which will make it harder for shadows and highlights...let me see if I can help with some swatches
    that would be awesome! thank you

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Would this be useful? You are free to change the colors you want. I added a bit of warmth for the skin tones.

http://i.imgur.com/dqy4Aby.jpg

Weasyl
    DinosaurDammit
    Would this be useful? You are free to change the colors you want. I added a bit of warmth for the skin tones.

http://i.imgur.com/dqy4Aby.jpg
    thats perfect! i wouldnt have thought to use so many different colors, now- how should I lay my base colors down? Start with the most neutral and shade with the rest or?

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    You can work in a way that feels comfortable to you. If you want to go light to dark or vice versa that is up to you. You can also go middle out. But you just want to make sure you have the colors laid out wide before trying to do details if I am making sense? Large areas first then slowly go in with details.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you decide to do details in one area leave less details out to counterbalance. If say you are putting a lot of details in areas that are lit, don't put in much details in areas of shadow. The reverse is also true.