Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Skype alternative: Jitsi

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Saiko View Post
    *watches* I'm curious about this too... it certainly looks good, and it's written in C/C++; so theoretically it'll be cross-platform. However, I imagine its privacy goals require it to not interface with skype. :c
    IMO it looks good enough to make people switch without a problem.

Weasyl
    Bornes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Got my own account now..... add brutus@jit.si if you wanna know more
    I added you but I'm not sure we'll ever be online at the same time. Dx

edit: As far as Tox goes, it's probably going to sit in development hell.
    http://www.tox-chat.com/2013/08/tox-...-up-quits.html
    Last edited by Bornes; 01-19-2014 at 12:06 AM.

Weasyl
    FatalSyndrome
    Sounds so rad, but yeah it's too bad most people don't use it!

Weasyl
    irick
    Quote Originally Posted by Taw View Post
    Another alternative that's still in it's early stages is http://tox.im - I'm curious to see how it develops.
    I got Venom to compile, been playing around with it: 72B9FB16D743AF2DFA160110D0FA43CFBB1F5A5AEFBC343CBD 984D2F895447797404B81A51B3 if anyone wants to chat it up.
    I like their goals, but it seems like they've got a lot of challenges to meet if they are going to keep with their decentralized model. Key exchange is a big one, as is handling multiple devices. My first instinct is keyservers, but i'm not really sure how that works with a swarm model, especially as subkey generation and rejection needs to happen automagicly to the user for it to be very appealing. But damn, would it be so worth it to have a truly decentralized end to end encryption chat service with the kind of denyability they are attempting to build in.

Weasyl
    koregg
    I'm always glad to see other people looking for Skype alternatives, but just asking people to move from Skype is pretty hard. When you consider their friends, and their friend's friends, etc. I'll probably still just download it and play with it, cause I have nothing else to do. Hope you gain some traction within your circle of friends!

Weasyl
    lupussle
    I've found it a bit of a pain in the arse to get Tox compiled. (Messing with Cygwin) but it's running now, not entirely sure how to do anything with it yet.

It sounds pretty amazing, although that developer rant does seem pretty damning (depending upon the merit of their argument of course) but I tend to find successful projects are the ones where a dev doesn't rage-quit half way through.

Weasyl
    irick
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
    I've found it a bit of a pain in the arse to get Tox compiled. (Messing with Cygwin) but it's running now, not entirely sure how to do anything with it yet.

It sounds pretty amazing, although that developer rant does seem pretty damning (depending upon the merit of their argument of course) but I tend to find successful projects are the ones where a dev doesn't rage-quit half way through.
    It seems fairly active, their IRC is responsive to feedback and there have been a lot of code changes to Venom since I started playing with it.

Weasyl
    Dreaming
    You can log into your Skype account with IM+, I think? At least, I was using IM+ to check out Skype back when I used Windows8 for three weeks, but it's a goddamn terrible app... it drops your connection whenever you tab out and literally spams your status message (you can change the settings and opt for an email alert for missed messages, but holy shit don't even- it's a nightmare)

ÓT: For some reason I thought it was possible to sign into Skype using Empathy but apparently it's not

Weasyl
    irick
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreaming View Post
    You can log into your Skype account with IM+, I think? At least, I was using IM+ to check out Skype back when I used Windows8 for three weeks, but it's a goddamn terrible app... it drops your connection whenever you tab out and literally spams your status message (you can change the settings and opt for an email alert for missed messages, but holy shit don't even- it's a nightmare)

ÓT: For some reason I thought it was possible to sign into Skype using Empathy but apparently it's not
    Mirosoft had announced that they are closing their API to access skype from third party clients. For some reason IM+ seems to be unaffected. This is strange, I wonder if it has to do with the fact that they have a windows phone app
    We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
    -- Carl Sagan

I'm on furnet IRC! Please drop by irc.furnet.org's #hackerfurs and say hi.

Weasyl
    lupussle
    Well that's nice, they offer pre-compiled alpha versions now, decided to install it on Ubuntu and give it a whirl.

If anybody wants a bit of a natter, I'm:
    32430E94A7A760E7867296AFF202C98A2D2A17F846D846FDB7 445261A474803B711BA0A3FAE7

Not exactly easy to pronounce. XD

There's versions for Windows, Mac and Linux here:
    http://wiki.tox.im/binaries