Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Skype alternative: Jitsi

Weasyl
    lupussle
    Quote Originally Posted by irick View Post
    It seems fairly active, their IRC is responsive to feedback and there have been a lot of code changes to Venom since I started playing with it.
    You know, actually, it's probably fine. I didn't really pay attention to that linked blogpost from http://www.tox-chat.com/ but I looked at it again and notice the dox dropping underneath and the footer. I feel like I've been duped but I'm glad because it means my preconceptions about Tox not having a future were completely unfounded. God damn scare mongeres...

Weasyl
    Runefox
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
    32430E94A7A760E7867296AFF202C98A2D2A17F846D846FDB7 445261A474803B711BA0A3FAE7
    Wow, it's like Nintendo Friend Codes taken to their logical conclusion! So easy to use.

Weasyl
    lupussle
    Quote Originally Posted by Runefox View Post
    Wow, it's like Nintendo Friend Codes taken to their logical conclusion! So easy to use.
    But it works, in a decrentralised fashion, that's pretty awesome.

There is a certain requirement for using long hex codes as identifyiers in the underlying library. The point is to be decentralised, but it would be trivial to use aliases (like an email address, name, whatever...) in a user directory to map to the ID. Maybe something to be done to make it more accessible by the mainstream market, but personally I'd be happy having a simpe file or QR code to give to people and BAM! Friends!

Weasyl
    irick
    Quote Originally Posted by Runefox View Post
    In the future you won't have to worry so much. Basically what it is is a hash of your public key that is stored in the DHT so anyone can properly route your conversation.

A necessary evil of decentralization is that there is no easy way to resolve this into an arbitrary string. Right now it's very early development software, but it _works_ and is entirely peer to peer. They are looking into the idea of keeping basically a key server in some distributed fashion, if they decide to implement that it should allow mostly arbitrary strings to be used as identifiers.
    We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
    -- Carl Sagan

I'm on furnet IRC! Please drop by irc.furnet.org's #hackerfurs and say hi.

Quote Originally Posted by koregg View Post
    I'm always glad to see other people looking for Skype alternatives, but just asking people to move from Skype is pretty hard. When you consider their friends, and their friend's friends, etc. I'll probably still just download it and play with it, cause I have nothing else to do. Hope you gain some traction within your circle of friends!
    That's the problem with skype alternatives - if I download it, nobody's going to swap over because their friends still use Skype.

Weasyl
    lupussle
    Quote Originally Posted by irick View Post
    In the future you won't have to worry so much. Basically what it is is a hash of your public key that is stored in the DHT so anyone can properly route your conversation.

A necessary evil of decentralization is that there is no easy way to resolve this into an arbitrary string. Right now it's very early development software, but it _works_ and is entirely peer to peer. They are looking into the idea of keeping basically a key server in some distributed fashion, if they decide to implement that it should allow mostly arbitrary strings to be used as identifiers.
    It wouldn't be impossible to include such data in the DHT itself; it's just that having verifiable data is an issue. It's trivial to map a username like beepboop to a user's public key; the issue is that having an actual directory (like with a name, phone-number, email etc...) is tricky because it would be impossible without a central authority to confirm that it's valid (otherwise I could claim to be Barry Shitpeas with a phone number that isn't mine).

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalpotato View Post
    That's the problem with skype alternatives - if I download it, nobody's going to swap over because their friends still use Skype.
    Dear Liza...

Really though, there haven't really been any strong viable contenders to take-on Skype; but Tox is different. Especially with the Prism revelations, there is now significant interest in privacy in software; basically there's now a major market for something like Tox.

For myself, when it matures I'll move over (if I can, I'll even help but I beg to suggest the project already has far more experienced developers) and I'll encourage others to do the same. I'm security conscious enough and I beg to suggest most people I speak to with any regularity are too. There'll be stick in the mud types who, despite Skype being shit, will stick to it and complain that others are moving over (where have we seen that before?).

You're right, it's a hurdle, but we can overcome it. Change takes time but so long as the end product is simple to use and genuinely an improvement over Skype, people will move.