Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Skype alternative: Jitsi

Weasyl
    Bornes

Skype alternative: Jitsi

After the hating on skype thread, I decided to look into Skype alternatives. I found Jitsi, and am currently trying it out. It seems pretty cool so far, but I can't do much with it with no contacts to test it with.

So I was wondering, who else uses Jitsi (or has a SIP account) and wants to test this with me? Or we could just exchange contact info for a new IM furry group or something? We could also do VoIP but I personally am more interested in IM.

Jitsi is a program that supports an array of other messengers, including Google talk, Facebook, AIM, ICQ, Ippi, iptel, and MSN.
    Get the Jitsi program here: http://jitsi.org
    Get a SIP account (for VoIP) here: https://serweb.iptel.org/user/reg/index.php (you can leave phone blank)

So let's test this thing out? My contact info is qbornes@iptel.org (just put in "qbornes" for the iptel contacts). Or use my number (sort of like a friend code) : 323901

EDIT: So after fooling around with it for a while, Jitsi randomly put my status to away and won't let me change it to anything else. That combined with an avatar problem makes Jitsi pretty lame, I guess. Soooo back to Skype. =(
    Unless anyone knows of another SIP messenger?
    Last edited by Bornes; 01-22-2014 at 04:41 PM. Reason: remade the thread. THANKS TO WHOEVER RENAMED MY THREAD. <3

Weasyl
    Runefox
    Quote Originally Posted by Bornes View Post
    I can't do much with it with no contacts to test it with.
    This is pretty much why people are being 'forced' to use Skype - Everyone else is using it and not any alternatives. Unless Jitsi can communicate with Skype contacts, it probably won't get used, unfortunately. Looks like a pretty snazzy XMPP client for what it's worth.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Runefox View Post
    This is pretty much why people are being 'forced' to use Skype - Everyone else is using it and not any alternatives. Unless Jitsi can communicate with Skype contacts, it probably won't get used, unfortunately. Looks like a pretty snazzy XMPP client for what it's worth.
    Such is the way of things. For a time Jitsi did have skype support, but it was dropped either because of legal or technical issues.

Ekiga is a pretty good client too, but again has the same problem of no one using it despite it clearly being better than Skype.

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    (thread title edited!)

I've never heard of Jitsi, but I rarely Skype nowadays. Might look into Jitsi anyway, though
    Last edited by Tiger; 01-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.

5.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #5
    Weasyl
    Taw
    Another alternative that's still in it's early stages is http://tox.im - I'm curious to see how it develops.

Weasyl
    Saiko
    Quote Originally Posted by Taw View Post
    Another alternative that's still in it's early stages is http://tox.im - I'm curious to see how it develops.
    *watches* I'm curious about this too... it certainly looks good, and it's written in C/C++; so theoretically it'll be cross-platform. However, I imagine its privacy goals require it to not interface with skype. :c

Weasyl
    Bornes
    Quote Originally Posted by Runefox View Post
    And this is why I'm asking people to join it. You can get people to migrate if you ask. Don't try, nothing will happen. Everyone had to migrate to skype when it came out in its infancy-- Of course nobody will use Jitsi if everyone sits on their asses, preferring to complain about skype.

That's what this thread is for-- to get people to use Jitsi. Or at least get a SIP account and then use whatever other client they like that uses SIP.
    Last edited by Bornes; 01-16-2014 at 03:05 PM.

Weasyl
    Ouiji
    Do any of the above alternatives have Android apps?

Weasyl
    Bornes
    Anything that uses SIP should be able to communicate. I don't have a smartphone so I don't know how good of an app this is, but a quick search found this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sipdroid.sipua
    Not sure if it has IM, though. Looks like it's only VoIP.

edit: There is a Jitsi droid app, but it's in alpha stage and still unstable.
    Last edited by Bornes; 01-16-2014 at 03:08 PM.

Weasyl
    Brutus
    Got my own account now..... add brutus@jit.si if you wanna know more