Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Saga
    In 2008, a $6 billion dollar particle accelerator called the "large hadron collider" went live. It was designed to speed protons around a 17 mile loop before crashing them together to simulate the microscoping black holes that formed during the big bang. Some speculated that these holes would grow to consume the Earth, but scientists tested it anyways, and it worked. However the black holes (fortunately) evaporated due to a phenomenon know as Hawking Radiation.

Weasyl
    Fawna
    I actually remember that, Saga! I was hanging with friends and we were pretty afraid of dying. I remember crying out in all my teenage angst, "THE WORLD WILL END AND NO ONE WILL LISTEN OR REALISE!!1!!!"... yeah man. Yeah.

The most popular baby names in Australia are William and Charlotte...
    Click me.
    Or don't, I guess...

The LHC was recently used to discover the much eluded to, and elusive, Higgs boson, also know as the God particle. It's existence will help prove, and disprove, many theories surrounding modern sub-atomic physics.

Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by rorick View Post
    The LHC was recently used to discover the much eluded to, and elusive, Higgs boson, also know as the God particle. It's existence will help prove, and disprove, many theories surrounding modern sub-atomic physics.
    And gravity! <: That's really fascinating stuff. I wanna study it when I have the opportunity (and the background knowledge).
    The Higgs Boson was nicknamed the "God Particle" not in fact because of its relationship to the fundamentals of physics but instead because the scientists "couldn't find that goddamn particle."
    Peter Higgs, who came up with the theory of the Higgs Boson, was awarded the Nobel Prize in October of 2013 but it took a good while for him to learn this because he doesn't have a mobile cellular device (and his location was about as elusive as his boson!).

Oops. I said I wasn't going to add any more. Well. I guess I lied <:
    Last edited by BlissfulOblivion; 01-12-2014 at 04:08 AM.

Two language-facts:

- When, for example, someone who has the Cockney-accent pronounces "butter" without actually articulating the "t" ("Bu-er"), the phenomenon is called a "glottal stop". This is marked in IPA with this symbol: [ʔ]

----

- Epenthesis is a term used to describe the addition of an extra letter in the middle of a word. When this additional letter is a vowel, it's called a "svarabhakti vowel".

I don't know an English word that has a svarabhakti vowel, but Dutch is full of examples. Like the Dutch word for "milk" should be pronounced "melk" (IPA [mɛɫk]), but some people pronounce it as "mellek", the extra "e" at the end being the svarabhakti-vowel.

Weasyl
    Dreaming
    English is a West Germanic language, it actually shares a close common route with Frisian (a minority language spoken in the north-east of the Netherlands). Though, contrary to some popular beliefs, English doesn't "originate from German", but German and English do share a common distant route (well, more distant than the English/Frisian relationship anyway)

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    Quote Originally Posted by Saga View Post
    In 2008, a $6 billion dollar particle accelerator called the "large hadron collider" went live. It was designed to speed protons around a 17 mile loop before crashing them together to simulate the microscoping black holes that formed during the big bang. Some speculated that these holes would grow to consume the Earth, but scientists tested it anyways, and it worked. However the black holes (fortunately) evaporated due to a phenomenon know as Hawking Radiation.
    They're actually planning to upgrade it this year to make it much, much better.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrockangel View Post
    - Epenthesis is a term used to describe the addition of an extra letter in the middle of a word. When this additional letter is a vowel, it's called a "svarabhakti vowel".

I don't know an English word that has a svarabhakti vowel, but Dutch is full of examples. Like the Dutch word for "milk" should be pronounced "melk" (IPA [mɛɫk]), but some people pronounce it as "mellek", the extra "e" at the end being the svarabhakti-vowel.
    You'll find this all the time in English! Depending on regional variations of course. The insertion of an additional vowel in a word is a common trait of spoken English here, so a word like 'film' becomes 'filum'. I didn't know there was a term for it c:

FACTTIME: there is a dialect of English spoken in Ireland known as Ulster-Scots, itself a variation of another dialect of English called Lowland Scots. English is not as homogeneous as people think. An example of Ulster-Scots:

The yin wat clie haps up the deed,
    The dark lang hame o ether creed;
    An then, quait-crakkin nighbers, they'd
    Wak fort thegither,
    Tae keep ootby or boo the heid,
    Quait-minin ither.

Quote Originally Posted by Loafy View Post
    You'll find this all the time in English! Depending on regional variations of course. The insertion of an additional vowel in a word is a common trait of spoken English here, so a word like 'film' becomes 'filum'. I didn't know there was a term for it c:
    Oh, "film" in certain regions here becomes "fillem" with a schwa (final e).
    I couldn't think of English examples because I suppose it's easier to spot it in your own mother-tongue.

And as for something practical: this website is great for discovering new bands that are sort of related to the ones you already listen to.
    http://audiomap.tuneglue.net/

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrockangel View Post

George W. Bush saying "nukular" :V
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.