Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by rorick View Post
    The only know moon with an atmosphere is Titan, which has an atmosphere made of Nitrogen, Methane, and Ethane. It's comparable to early Earth and is considered a viable candidate for simple life in our solar system, along with the moon of Jupiter, Europa.
    Titan may be the only moon with a particularly thick atmosphere but it's definitely not the only moon with an atmosphere at all. Our moon has an atmosphere, it's just very thin.

Three of the written vowels in Modern Greek have the same pronunciation: Υ/υ, Ι/ι, and Η/η (upsilon, iota, and eta). Two more have the same pronunciation as each other: Ο/ο and Ω/ω (omicron and omega). In Ancient Greek, however, all of these had different pronunciations from each other. Only I and O retain their original pronunciation.
    The sound "oo" in Greek is only writable as a dipthong: ου. Some words ended in -ους, which is pronounced like "ooss," and because of this when adopted into English became written as "us." Examples are octopus and platypus.

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    On the topic of octopus: strictly speaking, "octopi" as the plural of octopus is etymologically incorrect. "Octopuses" is perfectly acceptable English, but if you insist on using an irregular plural, "octopodes" is correct.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Quote Originally Posted by BlissfulOblivion View Post
    Titan may be the only moon with a particularly thick atmosphere but it's definitely not the only moon with an atmosphere at all. Our moon has an atmosphere, it's just very thin.
    Eh, I should have put "dense atmosphere", considering I knew that. *Scolds self* But to be honest, Luna's atmosphere is so thin, it's almost to the point of not having one. :P

Anyways, back to the thread topic. The Latin name for our star is Sol. The Latin name of the moon is Luna.

Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    Eh, I should have put "dense atmosphere", considering I knew that. *Scolds self* But to be honest, Luna's atmosphere is so thin, it's almost to the point of not having one.
    Mmkay. I thought you might have been trying to say that, but I just had to make sure P:

Uhm. shit. I need to add more. Cuz I totally haven't added enough already. Okay, so:

The alphabet we use has traveled through a total of four language families to get to us, including our own: it originated in the Semitic language family with Phoenician, and was then introduced to the Greek of the Hellenic family via Mediterranean trade systems. Then, it was then adopted into Latin of the Italic family, and from there it was introduced to the Germanic language family ultimately ending up in English (although I'm not familiar with the exact links that got it here).

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Mmkay. I thought you might have been trying to say that, but I just had to make sure P:

Uhm. shit. I need to add more. Cuz I totally haven't added enough already. Okay, so:

The alphabet we use has traveled through a total of four language families to get to us, including our own: it originated in the Semitic language family with Phoenician, and was then introduced to the Greek of the Hellenic family via Mediterranean trade systems. Then, it was then adopted into Latin of the Italic family, and from there it was introduced to the Germanic language family ultimately ending up in English (although I'm not familiar with the exact links that got it here).
    Additionally, our numerals are Arabic, likely originating from somewhere in India.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

Yeah, it was a gross oversight on my part. To be fair though, all the other atmosphere that moons have are like Luna's though, almost non-existent.

An onomatopoeia is a word that designates a sound, such as *quack*, *woof*, or *snigger*. Most English speakers should know this though.

The closest known star system to our own is about four light years away, and is called the Alpha Centauri System. It consists of a binary system with the stars Alpha Centauri A and Alpha Centauri B, and is associated with a third star, Proxima Centauri, which is the closest star to us, after the Sun of course. Our first voyage to a system outside our own would likely be to the Centauri system.

Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by piņardilla View Post
    Additionally, our numerals are Arabic, likely originating from somewhere in India.
    Oooh! And that reminds me! The linguistic and numeric concept of 0 only originated in two places in the world: in India (along with the rest of our "Arabic" numerals) and in Meso-America with the Maya. It spread everywhere else from one of those two places, although almost exclusively from India seeing as how the Maya were fairly isolated until, y'know, Europeans. And even after that most of them died anyway, so yeah.

Oooh! And that reminds me! The linguistic and numeric concept of 0 only originated in two places in the world: in India (along with the rest of our "Arabic" numerals) and in Meso-America with the Maya. It spread everywhere else from one of those two places, although almost exclusively from India seeing as how the Maya were fairly isolated until, y'know, Europeans. And even after that most of them died anyway, so yeah.
    Hm. I knew the Indians invented the actual concept of 0, but I never knew the Mayans had also derived the idea.

Most, if not all, galaxies have a black hole at the center, including our own Milky Way. The black hole is in a category call "supermassive", meaning it has hundreds of thousands times the mass of the Sun. The immense gravity keeps the stars orbiting it for thousands of light years around, and active black holes can generate a stream of super-heated material ejection known as a quasar, which also happens to be the some of the brightest things in the known universe.

Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    Hm. I knew the Indians invented the actual concept of 0, but I never knew the Mayans had also derived the idea.
    Yes! That, along with their work with astronomy, is one of the reasons that they are so intriguing as a culture! <:

An onomatopoeia is a word that designates a sound, such as *quack*, *woof*, or *snigger*. Most English speakers should know this though.
    Onomatopoeia vary from language to language. However, certain onomatopoeia seem to stay fairly similar in pronunciation whereas others differ greatly. For example, the onomatopoeia "meow" is "miao" in French, "miau" in German, "meong" in Indonesian, "mjau" in Russian, "miāo" in Mandarin, and "nyan" in Japanese. These are all pronounced almost the same. However, the onomatopoeia for a frog croaking is "ribbet" in English, "kerokero" in Japanese, "kva" in Russian, "tarr" in Hindi, "quaak" in German, and "môk" in Bengali.
    Most of my knowledge is stupid little facts about languages, in case one could not notice :V

I should probably stop now :u hehehe... :3c

Weasyl
    Fawna
    What most people consider a fedora is actually a trilby, a completely different style of hat. The internet has convinced people that trilby hats are fedoras.

~knowledge~
    Click me.
    Or don't, I guess...