Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    battybegins
    The bible used to be exclusivley written in Latin, partially to prevent peasantry from actually reading it (on the VERY slim offchance they learned how to read in the first place.) This way, only people who had a high enough social class to afford being educated in Latin could think critically about what was actually written in the bible. Controlling how many people had access to the bible's content allowed the church more control over how the scripture was perceived and what actions they would and would not condone.

Common people learned the majority of their religion through word-of-mouth story telling and sermons. Most had no idea what was or wasn't actually written in the bible.

(I learned this after having a chat with a history buff friend of mine. I don't have a source. If it's not true, feel free to correct me. If not, I'd be interested to know where the misconception came from.)
    Last edited by battybegins; 05-31-2014 at 07:54 AM.
    "People tell me it's a sin to know and feel too much within. I still believe she was my twin but I lost the ring".

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    gmod doesn't use fmod at its sound engine, despite it being a perfect pun. I am very disappointed.

Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    In gymnastics, there's a different name for starting a front handspring with your feet together or with your feet in a lunge position. The former is called a flyspring and the latter is simply called a front handspring. You have to jump into a flyspring but you can do a handspring without jumping.

Weasyl
    Antumbra
    The Portuguese Man o' War jellyfish is not actually a common jellyfish. It is a colony of specialized organisms that bonded together. They have now integrated in a way that is impossible for the organisms to survive on their own (like coral).

Weasyl
    N/A
    If a dog's sick with an upset stomach/diarrhea, the best and easiest remedy (assuming that's all it is) is white rice. Boil it up, replace their food with a cup or so of rice (once it's cooled obv!) and it should clear em' out pretty quickly.

Weasyl
    Dreaming
    One billion is called a milliard in most other languages (aka. short scale and long scale)

Weasyl
    smelge
    Inchmickery Island just off the coast of Edinburgh was covered in bunkers and gun emplacements during the Second World War so it's silhouette looked like a battleship. Any German subs coming up the Forth to strike at Rosyth shipyard would then have to divert between the shore and Cramond Island, where they would discover the brand new causeway with huge concrete blocks along the side.

Weasyl
    Hewge
    Looking upwards helps you when you're feeling down

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #99
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    Salvador Dali had an older brother, named Salvador Dali. He died before the artist we know Salvador Dali was born. His parents took him to his brother's grave, which of course had the name "Salvador Dali" on it. So he (our artist friend Dali) essentially saw his own grave. He also pronounced his name "SALVADORRR DALI!" with a "pop!" noise for every period in a sentence. He was known for extravagant entrances like coming out of a giant egg (which kind of reminds me of Lady Gaga...) He also started a Disney movie withe the company but as far as I know, it was not finished by him.

I have his auto-biography but I have yet to read it. It's on my to-do list, I'm looking forward to it.

Weasyl
    therainbowtroll
    Pugs were bread to sit on the laps of Chinese emperors. They were also bread to have the Chinese symbol of prince on their foreheads. If you have a pug you must clean out thier wrinkle with a warm wet wash cloth.