Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by piņardilla View Post
    George W. Bush saying "nukular" :V
    I think that's metathesis rather than a svarabhakti-vowel. In pronouncing "Nuclear" as "nucular", you're swapping the places of the first vowel of the diphthong and the consonant, rather than adding a vowel that comes out of "nowhere".

Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrockangel View Post
    - When, for example, someone who has the Cockney-accent pronounces "butter" without actually articulating the "t" ("Bu-er"), the phenomenon is called a "glottal stop". This is marked in IPA with this symbol: [ʔ]
    In American English (and some other dialects I think?), the t here becomes an alveolar tap, [ɾ], which is executed by quickly tapping the roof of your mouth (where you say "d" and "s") with the tip of your tongue.
    This same sound exists in Japanese but is treated as an individual sound (which we write as r) instead of an alternative pronunciation of "t."

The combination of the sounds [ʔ], [t], and [ɾ] into the single written character and concept /t/ (called a "phoneme") makes them something called "allophones."

Most Chinese languages, though called dialects are not truly dialects. That would require them to have mutual intelligibility, or the ability of one speaker to understand most of what someone who speaks a different language is saying; However, there is next to no mutual intelligibility between the "dialects" of Chinese. The only thing that is constant across all of them is the standardized writing systems (and although there are two different writing systems, they don't correlate to individual spoken languages).

FUCK i know its supposed to be three but if I don't say this now I'll forget: According to a linguistic analysis of lexical similarity, Italian and French are close enough that they could technically be considered dialects of each other (aside from the fact that neither branches directly from the other). This is because they have a 89% similarity (chart) while the minimum for languages to be considered dialects or like dialects is 85% (3rd paragraph).
    Last edited by BlissfulOblivion; 01-14-2014 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlissfulOblivion View Post
    "

Most Chinese languages, though called dialects are not truly dialects. That would require them to have mutual intelligibility, or the ability of one speaker to understand most of what someone who speaks a different language is saying; However, there is next to no mutual intelligibility between the "dialects" of Chinese. The only thing that is constant across all of them is the standardized writing systems (and although there are two different writing systems, they don't correlate to individual spoken languages).

Actually, from what I have been told the biggest difference is from madarin to cantonese, and there are many dialects of cantonese and mandarin. Most of which if you speak cantonese you can figure out what someone else who speaks cantonese in a different dialect (ie: Northern cantonese and southern cantonese).

There are even similarities in Caontese and Mandarin such as the Ta and Cha sound (this is how to say tea)

Weasyl
    wwretched
    The proper temperature for melting wax is 175 F. Any more than that and it could burn.
    dont even test me i swear to god im going to eat everything in this fucking state

Weasyl
    Batty Krueger
    Before records were made of vinyl they were made of metal.

Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammacha View Post
    Actually, from what I have been told the biggest difference is from madarin to cantonese, and there are many dialects of cantonese and mandarin. Most of which if you speak cantonese you can figure out what someone else who speaks cantonese in a different dialect (ie: Northern cantonese and southern cantonese).

There are even similarities in Caontese and Mandarin such as the Ta and Cha sound (this is how to say tea)
    Mandarin and Cantonese are only two of the many Chinese languages, all of which are a part of the Sino-Tibetan language branch. There are dialects of each Chinese language, but there are several other distinct Chinese languages that lack much mutual intelligibility*, the more common of which being Wu, Yue, and Min (although Cantonese is actually just a part/subdivision of Yue). The relationship of all these languages is more similar to the relationship of the Romance languages than they are to actual dialects such as American English and British English.
    Aren't languages fun? <:

*although the lexical similarity is actually rather high; the lack of mutual intelligibility comes from differences in pronunciation and grammar. Fascinating, eh? :3

Source: Yay for Wikipedia! :3 Hasn't been wrong on languages and linguistics yet in my experience, so I trust it. Also I have gotten much of this information from native speakers, one of whom has learned a distinct Chinese language that is confined to two villages that her family comes from, although I don't remember the name of it.

OT: let me learn you somethings new :3
    Modern Greek is one of the two surviving languages of the Hellenic language branch, a subdivision of the Proto-Indo-European family tree. The other is Tsakonian.

Romanian is one of the coolest languages ever because it started when Romans occupied that area and instilled Latin into the indigenous peoples, but later strong influence of the Slavic languages gave it a glorious mix of Romance-language and Slavic pronunciation. It can be naturally written in both Cyrillic and the Latin Alphabet.

Quote Originally Posted by Batty Krueger View Post
    Before records were made of vinyl they were made of metal.
    I know the first records were etched into wax, and I've heard of ones made of shellac, but I've never heard of a metal record, unless you count the master press. Could you cite a source. I'm just curious.

The United States has never, officially, lost a war. Only three wars could come close to being considered a defeat. The War of 1812 some consider a British victory, but the treaty signed established Status Quo Ante Bellum, or status prior to the war. No one won, no one lost. Vietnam and Iraq are much the same, it was a political defeat, but militarily, Ameria had soundly won the war.

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #78
    Weasyl
    Tiger
    Wassily Kandinsky was a Russian expressionist artist and one of the founders of the Blue Rider artist group. He was also a faculty member of the German Bauhaus school. He saw color as having a spiritual meaning and art as visual music. He is also the first non-representational artist and believed art could move people powerfully even without a subject. He lost all material faith in the world after seeing Monet's water lily paintings and the scientific breakthrough of splitting the atom.

This is an example of a non-representational painting from Kandisky, a piece from his "Composition" series- http://www.glyphs.com/art/kandinsky/comp8640.jpg , this one is "Composition V".

Also fun fact, there's a difference between abstract art and non-representational art (also known as non-objective art). An abstract artwork still has a subject, even if it is distorted or difficult to discern, such as Van Doesburg's "Abstraction on a Cow" series- http://lonelyautodidact.files.wordpr...ges-of-cow.png in which the subject of all of those is a cow. Non-representational art has no subject at all, Kandinsky's work is a good example of that.

Weasyl
    Carnau / Issy / Isra
    You run faster when you hold a knife in yo hand :V
    Quote Originally Posted by voicebox64
    Now he can have all the turkey with pillowy mounds of mashed potatoes, butter drenched dressing and tiny onions swimming in a sea of cream sauce he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnau View Post
    You run faster when you hold a knife in yo hand :V
    And even faster if someone is chasing you with a knife in their hand