Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 50
  1. #21
    1. Rhapsody of Fire
    2. Dream Evil
    3. Symphony X
    4. Flogging Molly
    5. Le Vent Du Nord

  2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #22
    Sophomore Matt's Avatar

    Weasyl
    Matt
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Ypsilanti
    Posts
    409
    Oh no. We have Saosin and Circa Survive on separate lists. This will end badly.
    Look at all the fun we're having.

  3. #23
    Senior sassySloth's Avatar
    Weasyl
    sassySloth
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    MA USA
    Posts
    465
    1. Bjork
    2. Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti
    3. Genesis
    4. Gang Gang Dance
    5. Animal Collective
    Watch me swooce right in.

  4. #24
    Senior JiJi's Avatar
    Weasyl
    JiJi
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Oh no. We have Saosin and Circa Survive on separate lists. This will end badly.
    I love circa survive too, Saosin just have more energy for me, although Cove got lazy.
    The drumming is so impressive, but there's Anthony Greens voice too.
    I'm not gay, but if I did take that road, I'd stop the fuckin car there... (please someone know my reference here.)

    dA|FA|Weasyl|Soundcloud|Tumblr|Steam


    Avatar by the beautiful Chipsticks!

  5. #25
    Senior SirCoffeecup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The cold north
    Posts
    903
    I can't put them in a straight up direct order, but some of the great bands that have found residence on my HDD are

    (Not in any order, but all top 5 at least)
    1: Ne obliviscaris
    2: Symphony X
    3: Communic
    4: Dream Theater
    5: Dagoba

    And bands that are just as good, but haven't listened to as much and thus not on the list: Rush, Prodigy, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Pyramaze and finally Tim Hecker.
    Last edited by SirCoffeecup; 01-08-2014 at 03:28 PM.

  6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #26
    Sophomore Matt's Avatar

    Weasyl
    Matt
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Ypsilanti
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by JiJi View Post
    I love circa survive too, Saosin just have more energy for me, although Cove got lazy.
    The drumming is so impressive, but there's Anthony Greens voice too.
    I'm not gay, but if I did take that road, I'd stop the fuckin car there... (please someone know my reference here.)
    Don't stop talking to me, I haven't been listening.

    It's cool you bring up the drumming. Amid all the drama with Anthony Green and drug use allegations and all the albums, I still find the most interesting thing about all these dudes to be the session drummer for the first Saosin EP. It sorta blew my mind a bit when I found out he played with Slayer. (Heard conflicting stories about him being Slayer's drum tech as well, but his website said he played with them so idfk) But yeah, he was pretty fucking incredible.

    Look at all the fun we're having.

  7. #27
    Senior JiJi's Avatar
    Weasyl
    JiJi
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Don't stop talking to me, I haven't been listening.

    It's cool you bring up the drumming. Amid all the drama with Anthony Green and drug use allegations and all the albums, I still find the most interesting thing about all these dudes to be the session drummer for the first Saosin EP. It sorta blew my mind a bit when I found out he played with Slayer. (Heard conflicting stories about him being Slayer's drum tech as well, but his website said he played with them so idfk) But yeah, he was pretty fucking incredible.

    He was! Who was he?
    I remember when I first heard I can tell, I just wanted to hear more of this band, drumming wasn't as amazing on that, then I got the EP it threw me away. As does greens vocal range, I can sing all but the chorus of I can tell, only on good days I'll hit all those highs without losing breath!

    I don't think I'll ever be competent to play drums to a performable degree, but if I could I'd love to work at it until I could do drums like Saosin and Circa tunes. The drums are one of my favourite things of this genre.

    dA|FA|Weasyl|Soundcloud|Tumblr|Steam


    Avatar by the beautiful Chipsticks!

  8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #28
    Sophomore Matt's Avatar

    Weasyl
    Matt
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Ypsilanti
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by JiJi View Post
    He was! Who was he?
    I remember when I first heard I can tell, I just wanted to hear more of this band, drumming wasn't as amazing on that, then I got the EP it threw me away. As does greens vocal range, I can sing all but the chorus of I can tell, only on good days I'll hit all those highs without losing breath!

    I don't think I'll ever be competent to play drums to a performable degree, but if I could I'd love to work at it until I could do drums like Saosin and Circa tunes. The drums are one of my favourite things of this genre.
    The drummer is this guy, Pat Magrath. I am (was?) a drummer, and I agree completely with you that the drums are the best part of this kind of music. It's a little pedantic, but I find in some other genres, people's live playing seems so stiff and robotic, and I like there being some space to just rock the fuck out, so to speak. That being said, it's pretty cool how Magrath was able to kind of bring in some Slayer-type drumming without pulling the record completely into the metal genre.

    Honestly, I could go on about the drums on that record for days. Seven Years is so much fun to play. But that's not what this topic is about. Which is unfortunate, really. Every topic should be about that. I'll bring this up to staff.
    Look at all the fun we're having.

  9. #29
    Senior JiJi's Avatar
    Weasyl
    JiJi
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    189
    Bringing in other genres slightly can make great results though. Johnny Craigs vocals on Relativity were amazing, soul and energy worked well.
    I agree completely, also guitars and vocals in this genre can be so more expressionist and unique (odd chord progressions you wouldn't think would fit etc.) And I've also just discovered new bands, thanks! Shame this isnt the topic I love these kinds of conversations. Bribe all the staff.

    dA|FA|Weasyl|Soundcloud|Tumblr|Steam


    Avatar by the beautiful Chipsticks!

  10. #30
    Senior Rilvor's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Alteir
    Posts
    1,199
    In no particular order:

    1. Cinema Strange
    2. Voltaire
    3. Fields of the Nephilim
    4. Siouxsie and the Banshees
    5. Bauhaus

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •