Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Bornes

What do you expect based on the avatar you see?

On art sites. Not specifically forums.

For example, if you see someone commenting on your art, and their avatar is a super well-drawn cat, do you expect that person to be a good artist of everything or just cats before you click their icon to go to their gallery? Does the avatar impact how you see that person's personality? What type of art they draw? What type of gallery they may have? Does it make no difference?

If you have expectations of a user based on their icon, and then you go to the gallery and those expectations are not greeted (example: well-drawn cat avatar is by someone else, that person's gallery is nothing but doodles of dicks), does your opinion on that person change at all?

Do you feel like icons should follow an unwritten rule of "It should say X about the gallery"? If so, what are the unwritten rules you wish people abided by with their avatars?

Do you have any opinions on the 'fad' avatars, where a bunch of people have avatars in similar poses, the only difference being the character featured? (Like cats hugging pop cans)?

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    Can't really judge anyone from how well-drawn a picture is. Most of the time, it's someone else doing the drawing, or the poster is actually good but decided to draw derp avi for the lol.

Instead of going with how well drawn and stuffs, go with how unique it looks. Like, it sure is normal to see a random drawn OC as avi or something but nothing beats a blacknwhite picture of Stalin and Hitler. I will probably need to come up with something creative soon.

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    I always want to think a really well-drawn avatar indicates a really good artist gallery, but just as often it's someone who commissions a lot of art, it seems. (Or is an artist themselves, but had it drawn by a friend with a different style or something.) I've about gotten used to it now, and hey, maybe some artist got to buy a sandwich for drawing it.

Pretty much I just think an avatar should make whoever is using it happy. The one I use on weasyl's mainsite is probably misleading (I mean, it is a gorgonops, but it's not like I draw them terribly often) but eh. It's neon, obnoxious, and pleases me.
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

Weasyl
    Dreaming
    This is just my lazy observation, but I've noticed that if their avatar is really good, their gallery is virtually empty... usually it's pretty easy to identify a commissioned avatar anyway, based on the style (like, if you've seen the style elsewhere in multiple places etc.), it's kinda funny because the commissioned artist usually doesn't use that particular style in their own avatar

Weasyl
    Onnes
    Given the prevalence of commissioned and/or joke avatars, trying to make any consistent connection between avatar and gallery seems entirely futile.
    I think the more interesting question is that one of association between avatars, user personality, and perception of user personality. In particular, the subconscious association of avatar and user is probably rather significant.

Weasyl
    Maolfunction
    I have not an ounce of artistic ability when it comes to drawing. Anything you see of my character is always commissioned from another artist. That being said, I don't try and maintain one particular look for my gallery or character either as I'm more interested in seeing an artist's interpretation of the character more than trying to maintain a "look".
    Last edited by Maolfunction; 01-08-2014 at 01:17 AM.

Weasyl
    Vae
    I really don't form any kind of opinion based on avatar, alone. Hell, my own Furaffinity avatar right now is from a dollmaker thing, and has absolutely nothing to do with my art, even though I would consider my art to be of far higher quality.

Sometimes, I form a bias based on username. But that's really only for things like "xXSaksukeNarutoPrincessHime-chan353535Xx".

I don't think there should be any "unwritten rules" about avatars... because they're just avatars.
    They're whatever the person wants them to be.
    And they're easily changed.
    So who cares?
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    N/A
    I hope the avatar someone chooses to represent themself is special to them in some way. Maybe it was a gift, or a commission from a friend, or even just if it makes them happy.

Weasyl
    Littlerock
    This reminds me, I ought to get my semi-usual micrometer avatar back out again soon. I like that thing.

Weasyl
    TealMoon
    With avatars the only thing that happens is that is how I picture the user in my head.

I usually use avatars that were drawn by someone else.
    Like right now. This one was drawn by Ley.